PDA

View Full Version : My first Bronzie

bossi
11-01-08, 10:02 AM
Mornings guys!

I cant keep my excitement in anymore!!!

My boet, a friend and i went bronzie hunting yesterday and i got me first one!

We arrived at about 11h00 and after a bit of stuffing around and checking knots and tackle we got our lines in the water.

The okes next to us was also sliding for bronzies but got a kob of 12kgs on a slided bonito head. Not long after another one of 18kgs was landed and i started to gt a bit jelous.

Then my boet got a pik up and got biten off. :-(

So i was chilling on the beach and looked at the time and it waws 13h32 and i took me pie out of my bag and said my bonnie has been lying for 2h30mins now and i should be getting a bite rigt about now while taking a bite from my pie. My words was not even out and i saw my rod going doep doep doep and the line went slack!

I ran down to it choking on my bite of pie and took the slack line in and then the fish turned and started running. I gave him about 50m of line while shaking my rod vigorously to make sure the slider is on thebottom stel trace right upo against the stopper ring!( I was burned off enough since dec)

Then all of a sudden the fish really took off towards cape point with my drag being almost on its tightest and stripped about 500m of line and had me well into my braid before he stopped and turned. then the hard work started. up and down the beach, over and under the other guys lines and i slowly started getting line back, till the fish got back to the sand bank right against the shorey.

Then he said cheers for now and swam right back to where he came from the first time!

To cut it short, after 50min the fish was back behind the shorey sand bank and i was taking strain in every muscle i have.

The last 10min was the hardest. i couldnt even turn the handle of my reel!

Then my boet and greg and some locals jumped in when the shark was over the sand bank and pulled him out!

AMEN!!

We measured him took a pic or two and put her back quickly!

Nose to just in front of tail was 2m. A estimate of just under a 100kgs was given to me on the beach.:-(

I wanted a 100kgs. hehe

My friend called his friend to check on ORI website and the weight came to 112.7kgs.

Im stoked and very stiff today!!! hahahha

But it was all worth it!

Now for a new obsession!

KevinC
11-01-08, 10:06 AM
As said earlier bru- moerse good effort! Lekke fish! Jealous as hell! Now for 150kgs;) :D

Chris Shelton
11-01-08, 10:08 AM
Gosh Bossi, that is just awesome mate! Flip, I have to get my @rse geared up for at least one of these, then I can put it to rest and go back to edibles. Well done boet!!

rory
11-01-08, 10:15 AM
Awesome fish, well done!:D Roll on July!!!

Wade
11-01-08, 10:24 AM
What a fish

Now why cant we get those up here

dizzy
11-01-08, 10:30 AM
Haai, what a brilliant fish, now you gotta catch one on fly ;)

bossi
11-01-08, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys!

Dizzy dont joke, im contemplating trying to catch spotties on fly!:D

noweeds
11-01-08, 10:38 AM
Great first bronzie..........

here are the happy client with cob............unfortunatly they were grabbed by a seal and even after tagging and trying to revive them in the surf they were stuffed!!

They later worked out at 15 - 16 kilos

swsmith
11-01-08, 10:41 AM
greg that water doesnt really look that dirty....just shows you that they are around in clearer water....

Chris Shelton
11-01-08, 10:45 AM
wow, now those are what i call decent kob! I am also amazed at how clear the water is....I would have probably driven on by. Just shows, one never stops learning.

Well done!

swsmith
11-01-08, 10:48 AM
maybe this proves the value of a decent guide........greg,any discount for us valued flytalk members?

Chris Shelton
11-01-08, 10:49 AM
maybe this proves the value of a decent guide........greg,any discount for us valued flytalk members?

I'll second that

noweeds
11-01-08, 10:57 AM
make a serious booking and we'll talk!! :) serious!!

swsmith
11-01-08, 11:00 AM
ok how about we make a swop....you put chris and i onto those kob and ill put you onto the elusive black river mermaid........sounds fair to me

noweeds
11-01-08, 11:05 AM
The black river mermaid :eek: .............mmmmmmmmm

It would have to be a flipping scary specimen....i'm talking boob, i mean fin perfect
!!

swsmith
11-01-08, 11:10 AM
i would ask the marine to put us onto that class of fish but i dont know when last the boy caught anything worthy of going on the wall at 21......

noweeds
11-01-08, 11:21 AM
Its terrible when they fade so young!!

swsmith
11-01-08, 11:25 AM
indeed...very sad....and he showed so much potential.......booze and women....many a mans downfall.......

noweeds
11-01-08, 11:33 AM
don't forget the full length tights........thats when i knew he was going to burn out young!! No man can wear full length tights for the length of time he did and perform......at anything!!

Nepptune
11-01-08, 04:51 PM
Greg - I'd think about making a serious booking only if you promise not to wear your speedo in my presence!!! Thats fliipin scary man... I'm not coming to take pics if you gonna whip that sh*t out!!!! :-)

Bwwwwaaaahahaahahaha!!!

Bossi - Awesome fish mate, congrats! And good on ya Greg for gettin your clients on to great fish!@

bossi
14-01-08, 09:46 AM
Great first bronzie..........

here are the happy client with cob............unfortunatly they were grabbed by a seal and even after tagging and trying to revive them in the surf they were stuffed!!

They later worked out at 15 - 16 kilos

Thanks Greg

It has still not really sank in.:)

Which of the 2 Greg's are you?

Did you guys perhaps check the water temp that day?

Chris Shelton
14-01-08, 10:22 AM
Greg, by virtue of the fact that you mentioned that you were sliding out pilly heads for the kob you guys picked up, I take it you were picking them up quite far out. Just how far out are we talking here?

noweeds
14-01-08, 10:35 AM
OK need to clear up two issues.......there were two Gregs on the beach that day...........I WAS NOT THE ONE RUNNING AROUND IN MY UNDIES!!!!! I don't roll like that!!
And we were sliding Sarda Sarda heads (katonkel) or atlantic bonito.....i am not that poncy and if we had slid pilly heads i would have called them pilly heads!!:D

Chris Shelton
14-01-08, 10:58 AM
OK need to clear up two issues.......there were two Gregs on the beach that day...........I WAS NOT THE ONE RUNNING AROUND IN MY UNDIES!!!!! I don't roll like that!!
And we were sliding Sarda Sarda heads (katonkel) or atlantic bonito.....i am not that poncy and if we had slid pilly heads i would have called them pilly heads!!:D

ok my apologies, so how far were you sliding your tonkie head out? :D

bossi
14-01-08, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=noweeds;55395]OK need to clear up two issues.......there were two Gregs on the beach that day...........I WAS NOT THE ONE RUNNING AROUND IN MY UNDIES!!!!! I don't roll like that!!

ok the confusion is cleared up! :D

now i know who is who!

I still need to buy other greg a pair of boardies for helping me land that fish!:D :D :D

noweeds
14-01-08, 11:58 AM
don't bother..........its his thing - he loves running around in his undies grabbing sharks and rubbing against them.....:eek:

bossi
14-01-08, 04:26 PM
Lol!!!!:d :d :d

Chris Shelton
14-01-08, 04:29 PM
Greg, where are you getting your baitfish from?

rols
14-01-08, 04:31 PM
Lol!!!!:d :d :d
mooi vis Bossi. jis hy's groter as jy. Well gedaan

rols
14-01-08, 04:31 PM
Greg, where are you getting your baitfish from?
Chris have you found out the distance you were asking about earlier?

Chris Shelton
14-01-08, 04:54 PM
Chris have you found out the distance you were asking about earlier?

No, but I suspect it is moer far out. My guess would be in excess of 140 metres. I've often seen guys wading out up to their necks, only to cast a measly 50 metres or so. Casting far while upto your neck in water is not an easy task. The sliding rig is the way to go though, not only can you cast a mile with just your sinker, but you can also put out a decent size bait with the sliding rig. Makes a lot of sense. Generally I don't mind wading, but eish, some of those guys are mad, what with all those shark about, I think I will rather take my chances fishing alone at night at Macassar.

Josh
14-01-08, 06:27 PM
Nice Johnny. Ive caught quite a few of them so i know how stiff one gets the next day. Good stuff.

Gerrit Viljoen
14-01-08, 08:45 PM
Nice Johnny. Ive caught quite a few of them so i know how stiff one gets the next day. Good stuff.

Hey u bast....d,weren't u suppose to introduce yourself first? :D

Welcome Josh!!!

Gerrit

Herman Jooste
14-01-08, 09:12 PM

WElcome to the 2nd best "drifter" on the Vaal:D Maybe a post under the intro's would enlighten those that do not know what I'm on about:D

P.S. Did you fish the afternoon session or did OMR lead you astray:eek: :eek:

chris williams
14-01-08, 09:23 PM
Josh sensibly stayed on to fine-tune his KZN long-distance offshore swimming. My brothers's club, Durban Surf, would've been proud. I honed my skills at ZLBC with our Cape Town import, but we failed to reach the water..

MyWorld
14-01-08, 10:09 PM
Just one wet panty issue...

Why go through the trouble of trying to revive a fish if you had your hands in their gills?
They will seem to be fine as they swim away and die a couple of meters out in sea....
:-/

Jasper
15-01-08, 08:04 AM
Just one wet panty issue...

Why go through the trouble of trying to revive a fish if you had your hands in their gills?
They will seem to be fine as they swim away and die a couple of meters out in sea....
:-/

I think you will find that the photos were taken AFTER attempts at reviving!! (they were chomped by seals).

Chris Shelton
15-01-08, 08:14 AM
hehe....seems that some guys are scared to admit that there is nothing better than fresh Kob on the plate. Talk of "fish hooked deeply",... "seal took a chomp",... "fish died while trying to revive it", ...blah blah blah............excuses I say, all excuses! Admit it, there is little to beat fresh kob on the coals, it aint no crime you know. :D

Jasper
15-01-08, 08:24 AM
hehe....seems that some guys are scared to admit that there is nothing better than fresh Kob on the plate. Talk of "fish hooked deeply",... "seal took a chomp",... "fish died while trying to revive it", ...blah blah blah............excuses I say, all excuses! Admit it, there is little to beat fresh kob on the coals, it aint no crime you know. :D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... you are RIGHT there Chris!! .. personally prefer it filleted and gently fried in butter/olive oil mix!! I NEED ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE NICE 3kg BOYS!!!!!:D

Chris Shelton
15-01-08, 08:32 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... you are RIGHT there Chris!! .. personally prefer it filleted and gently fried in butter/olive oil mix!! I NEED ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE NICE 3kg BOYS!!!!!:D

If you get really desperate, I have two frozen Hentiesbaai kob that you can have with immediate effect, but it will cost you your next two freshly caught kob. :D

Jasper
15-01-08, 08:53 AM
If you get really desperate, I have two frozen Hentiesbaai kob that you can have with immediate effect, but it will cost you your next two freshly caught kob. :D

not THAT desperate boet!! ... anyway my next freshly caught kob is going to be a 7kg lad!!

A nice fresh elf (which of course died of natural causes! :D) is not too shabby either!!

Scythe
15-01-08, 08:58 AM
Fresh Kabeljou wwith the minimum of trimmings (butter, olive oil, pepper, salt, lemon) on the fire is yummy.

Imade a pact with myself last EC visit, when I go back and if I get a nice meal size Kabeljou (>3Kgs <4Kgs) I will take out the priest and give it a whack.

You won't see me killing a big fish though.

Chris Shelton
15-01-08, 09:03 AM
I agree on releasing the big fish. My cut-off is usually around the 10kg mark, anything over that I release. I also only take what I need. I don't like freezing fish period. Hentiesbaai trips are the only exception

Byron
15-01-08, 09:25 AM
All my meal-size kob die of fright when they see the boat... it wouldn't be fair to throw dead fish back :D

Then there are those geelbek that die because they don't want to be eaten by sharks and other fishy predators - they always taste better than the ones I can't catch.

sardyntjie1
15-01-08, 09:33 AM

took a kob on saturday.The wife took the fillets and baked them in a shallow dish with a sauce made up of fresh cream, lemon and rosemary..............Brill.....Must get out to Melkbos again and get another soon.I take kob if its size , but you wont get me spending the day catching a lot that I wont be eating but will be giving away. If I get one or two and that makes a meal , thats my outing done. Unless you are with a group and they still arre fishing.Steenbras and grunter ( sometinmes I will take one ) I usually release.