PDA

View Full Version : MC's Flytying

dlampert
22-11-06, 04:47 PM
Anyone who has watched MC tie flies will know that he is an absolute perfectionist. He has been working on this hopper pattern for years and has finally perfected it. I managed to snap a pic of one after it had taken 38 fish from one pocket on the Elandspad - MC was not present at the time.

ShaunF
22-11-06, 04:59 PM
:eek: RoboHopper !

Andre
22-11-06, 05:39 PM
Ja good fly, I have it on good authority that the next generation will have a small mechanism which will make the legs twitch when it lands on the water. It is still under wraps at the moment, but should be announced to the world press soon.

jock0
23-11-06, 08:22 AM
Getting the legs of dry flies to move is could be really easy...

Have you ever seen certain types of grass seeds with two long "feelers". If you lick your finger and touch the seed the feelers begin to spiral and twist for almost 2 minutes. As soon as they are dry you can moisten them again and they will start to twist and spiral again. These could make great dry fly bodies :)

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 08:34 AM
Thats an awesome fly but the biggest problem i have with these kind of flies is rust:) Does he use a special agent to prevent it from this problem or is his using a non rust material???

MCC
23-11-06, 08:49 AM
Guys

Lets not get into the nuts and bolts of fly tying right now. You should know that a quick spray of WD40 not only prevents rust, but also helps the Robo-hopper float better.

Darryl, the day on the Elandspad must have been after I lost my only prototype at Theewaterskloof. That spring day the Catfish were feeding aggressively in the shallows and I caught several of them on the Robo-hopper and some other new patterns that I am working on, but after attempting Malcolm's no-wire theory, the fly was lost to this Catfish. The fish did give me a chance at a quick photo before lazily swimming away with the still kicking hopper in its throat.

How the Robo-hopper made it from Theewaters to the Elandspad and onto Darryll's leader is anybody's guess, but it possibly walked over the mountain (I was still working on the wings).

dlampert
23-11-06, 09:12 AM
Guys

Lets not get into the nuts and bolts of fly tying right now. You should know that a quick spray of WD40 not only prevents rust, but also helps the Robo-hopper float better.

Darryl, the day on the Elandspad must have been after I lost my only prototype at Theewaterskloof. That spring day the Catfish were feeding aggressively in the shallows and I caught several of them on the Robo-hopper and some other new patterns that I am working on, but after attempting Malcolm's no-wire theory, the fly was lost to this Catfish. The fish did give me a chance at a quick photo before lazily swimming away with the still kicking hopper in its throat.

How the Robo-hopper made it from Theewaters to the Elandspad and onto Darryll's leader is anybody's guess, but it possibly walked over the mountain (I was still working on the wings).

Hi MC,

That catfish must have given you a hell of a fright ! I find a deer-hair mouse to be an effective pattern for them on most days. If they are off the bite then I normally chum them to the boat with a mix of cream and longlife milk (2%). If you find you are catching too many of them then simply tie on a waterdog and leave it floating around your tube or boat - this normally keeps the cat fish at bay !

As for the robo-hopper, you misunderstood me:- when I arrived on the Elandspad I discovered the robo-hopper catching and dispatching fish all on it's own. It had a piece of boiled mono with a hint of English Breakfast attached to it which is how I knew it was yours. It was also trailing a cats collar and bell so I think it must have made short work of your catfish after it swam away. I think you need to work on the C&R aspect of this fly as 38 dead trout and one dead catfish (presumed) out of a single pocket will eventually affect the population. Have they approved your robo-hopper for the Nationals yet ?

What kind of batteries are you using in this fly or is it solar powered ?

Thanks,
Darryl

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 09:13 AM
That catfish looks like some of the stuff Grant catches at coastal park:)

MCC
23-11-06, 11:34 AM
Ah yes, maybe we should stock some of these Catfish at Coastal Park. That would sort out the guys who wade without waders. That is if the E-Coli don't get them first.

The Robo-hopper is nuclear powered. And you thought that Chernobyl was an accident.

If anybody spots the Robo-hopper over the weekend, then I would advise that you approach it very carefully. If it can get rid of a Theewaters Catfish, then who knows what else it can do to the unwary angler.

To catch it you would need at least a ten weight and the appropriate fly is undoubtedly a female hopper imitation in breeding colours (tied on a Mustad circle hook). Give him lots of time to finish with her and as he turns to run away (no wings) you should just gently tighten up the line. If he turns your way, then you only have one option. Trip your guest and run like hell. With some luck you will make it back alive.

Pierre
23-11-06, 03:14 PM
Farios grandpa says his got the perfect gear to go after this one MC. He says with this outfit you can face it head on. Complete will ball guard and waders to keep you well dry. He will even throw in a free pair of Grants spandex (psst just between you and me, He is Grants personal tailor. )

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4567/img2468adn2.jpg

gkieser
23-11-06, 03:24 PM
I did not authorise any freebies!!

Oh well, as long as I get the credit!

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 03:30 PM
I did not authorise any freebies!!

Oh well, as long as I get the credit!

So Grant how often do you and Grandpa train together?:)

gkieser
23-11-06, 03:53 PM
Clearly more than the United squad... :D

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 04:02 PM
Oh the same United squad that beat Liverpool and are no1 in the Premier League! Think you must be talking about Supersport United or some other useless side like Lieverpool:)

Rendier
23-11-06, 04:03 PM
There's only one useless United in the Premiership and it's my boys - the Magpies

gkieser
23-11-06, 04:08 PM
Oh the same United squad that beat Liverpool and are no1 in the Premier League! Think you must be talking about Supersport United or some other useless side like Lieverpool:)

You're only as good as your last game! :D

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 04:08 PM
Told you that you must be mistaken Grant:D

Umhlangarox
23-11-06, 04:10 PM
You're only as good as your last game! :D

Is that what Banetez says after every game he wins but never after the games Liverpool loose:)

KevinC
23-11-06, 06:33 PM
There's only one useless United in the Premiership and it's my boys - the Magpies

Rendier bru, I share the pain!

Rendier
24-11-06, 09:03 AM
Went to the opening Premiership game in August. St James' Park was awesome. Had a good start to the season, but alas...

FIGJAM
24-11-06, 09:28 AM
Hey MCC I see your sister did get some pics of Garry testing his waders out in the pool. I smaak those STEALTH wading boots

KevinC
24-11-06, 09:49 AM
Went to the opening Premiership game in August. St James' Park was awesome. Had a good start to the season, but alas...

Awesome! That must have been insane! Look at the bright side, we beat Celta Vigo last night to go through to the final 32 in the UEFA Cup!

I cannot understand Glen Roeder though- we have no firepower upfront in the league, yet every time we play a European game we play Sibierski up front and he always scores, last night he did it again... Why isn't he playing more premiership games???

Rendier
24-11-06, 10:02 AM
Awesome! That must have been insane! Look at the bright side, we beat Celta Vigo last night to go through to the final 32 in the UEFA Cup!

I cannot understand Glen Roeder though- we have no firepower upfront in the league, yet every time we play a European game we play Sibierski up front and he always scores, last night he did it again... Why isn't he playing more premiership games???

Well, a place in Europe does not secure a place in the Premiership. Defensively there's always been problems, but I agree the firepower up front is pathetic. I think Shearer should come out of retirement for the rest of the season!

Umhlangarox
24-11-06, 10:02 AM

Kev you got a good point boet and i must say that i find it very strange that Roeder doesnt play Sibierski more often cause i reckon if he did you guys wouldnt be struggling in the relegation zone!

gkieser
24-11-06, 10:11 AM
Kev you got a good point boet and i must say that i find it very strange that Roeder doesnt play Sibierski more often cause i reckon if he did you guys wouldnt be struggling in the relegation zone!

You could have Thierry Henry in attack for Newcastle and you'd still have problems. You need to push Titus Bramble down some stairs and then you have a chance of improving. Newcastle have Real Madrid syndrome. They keep buying attacking players but never defenders. I think they sold two or three defenders during the summer and only bought one - Good 'ol Olivier Bernard. :rolleyes:

Madrid finally bought some defenders this summer and now I think they are serious contenders to win the Champs lge.

Alternatively they should start a cloning facility outside St James and just clone a whole bunch of Scotty Parkers and a few more Shay Givens (as backup for the real one).

cptfly
24-11-06, 10:28 AM
Yes you guys must watch out for Real , they playing better than the last few years

Umhlangarox
24-11-06, 10:36 AM
Yes you guys must watch out for Real , they playing better than the last few years

Ja but the will never win Champs league:)

Umhlangarox
24-11-06, 10:37 AM
You could have Thierry Henry in attack for Newcastle and you'd still have problems. You need to push Titus Bramble down some stairs and then you have a chance of improving. Newcastle have Real Madrid syndrome. They keep buying attacking players but never defenders. I think they sold two or three defenders during the summer and only bought one - Good 'ol Olivier Bernard. :rolleyes:

Madrid finally bought some defenders this summer and now I think they are serious contenders to win the Champs lge.

Alternatively they should start a cloning facility outside St James and just clone a whole bunch of Scotty Parkers and a few more Shay Givens (as backup for the real one).

The sad truth is that if Newcastle had more money they wouldnt be in this situation they are in at the moment:(

Chris Shelton
24-11-06, 11:24 AM
I rushed off to my litho department and came back armed to the teeth with spent litho plates in preparation for the tying recipe of the robohopper that I was sure would follow. Alas, you guys have ****ed it up once again. MC private message me the recipe please!

Umhlangarox
24-11-06, 11:33 AM
I rushed off to my litho department and came back armed to the teeth with spent litho plates in preparation for the tying recipe of the robohopper that I was sure would follow. Alas, you guys have ****ed it up once again. MC private message me the recipe please!

Sorry Chris we just trying to follow in your footsteps:D

Rendier
24-11-06, 11:37 AM

To get us back on track:

MC, does the Robohopper have a cooling agent to prevent fishing days being cut short by warm water? This would be a great feature. Maybe a little liquid nitrogen would do the trick? :)

Umhlangarox
24-11-06, 11:38 AM
Nitrous Oxide would also help him out of sticky situations:)

Rendier
24-11-06, 11:59 AM
Nitrous Oxide would also help him out of sticky situations:)
Nitrox works best on nymph type inmitations that need to go down deep and stay there :)

Chris Shelton
24-11-06, 12:34 PM
Nitrox works best on nymph type inmitations that need to go down deep and stay there :)

so now I have to feed the thing cabbage aswell:confused: