PDA

View Full Version : Wag 'n Bietjie/FOSAF Family Weekend Festival

Barbus13
01-02-08, 05:35 PM
Hi guys.
Please find attached all the info of upcoming family weekend being held in March. Sorry, Pierre, if you have already posted it on the web, but didn't find it. Thanks for letting me use the site.
Here are my contact details: Dirk Human Cell: 0835243668 Email: DHuman@justice.gov.za. If I'm not available please try Andre' Hoffman at 0828267076 and ahoff@vodamail.co.za.
Here it goes:

• Festival will only be held on the Saturday, 8th March. On Sunday will be casual family fishing day.
• Festival held in three categories: Juniors, Woman and Man.
• Juniors must be between the ages of 10 – 18 years, for safety reasons, due to wading, strong currents, and 8 hours of fishing.
• This weekend is totally directed at the family, target groups being:
Father and son, father and mother(wife and husband), father and daughter, mother and child and the whole family (father, mother and the children), please note that single parents are more than free to sign on also.
• Total amount of people allowed will be in the region of 40-45 people.
• Costs: Adults R500 p.p.
Juniors R450 p.p.
(These costs include: accommodation, fishing & registration, and
food, for the WHOLE weekend).
• Percentage of funds will be placed back into yellowfish research and conservation.
• No reservations will be accepted after 1st March 2008, and the first 40-45 people will be accepted.
• It should be noted that all fish will be returned back, and only the best and correct releasing methods will be followed.
• All adults should take a camera (cell phone) with them and some type of scale or measuring tape, to ascertain best idea of the weight of fish. Paper will be given on which this detail should be written, and a photo for proof. The photos and information will then be judged. Please insure to bring connections to connect to the computer, SD cards will be easiest option as it can just be placed into the PC.
• It should also be noted that competitors should provide some type of identification, one of the reasons being to ascertain the age of the juniors.
• A junior CAN NOT fish alone, and must be accompanied by an adult. Beats will be divided in this manner also, and considering the size of the family.
• The sponsors will accept no responsibility for any accidents taking place during this competition, and cannot be held responsible. Taking part will be done at own risk. Especially those that do not adhere to the prescribed rules and regulations placed down.
• Only valid fly fishing methods will be allowed and no other methods of fishing (artlure or baiting).
• Judges will be present on the water at certain times at all beats. This will be done to check for adherence to the rules, but also for one section of the competition being “best looking fly fisherman” in all three categories will be checked.
• Registration is done on Friday, the 7th of March, and closing time will be 20h00 in the evening. No registration will take place after that; accept if arranged before hand due to some unseen circumstances with the management of this competition.
• Any problems should be reported immediately.
• Festival will be judged on the following points:
Best fisherman in each category.(3)
Biggest smallmouth yellowfish in each category.(3)
Best fish of the weekend.(1)
Biggest largemouth of the weekend.(1)
• Sponsorships have been awarded. Prizes will be given according to abovementioned judged points.
• The main objective of this festival being that it should be enjoyed by the family.

jock0
04-02-08, 08:23 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun Dirk! I have a question regarding the "rules" part of the actual fly fishing - will the competition be run using the same rules as the provincial and national competitions i.e. no exposed lead, no pre weighted jig hooks, no tippet rings etc or will it be a more relaxed rule set geared towards the more social fisherman?

dizzy
04-02-08, 09:31 AM
Actually, no where in the SARFFA rules does it say Jig hooks are not allowed:

SECTION 24: COMPETITION FLIES.

1) Each fly must be dressed on a single hook, without limit as to size.
2) The length of the dressed fly will be at the discretion of the competitor.
3) Weighted flies are permitted, provided the weight is hidden within the dressing. A single visible bead, not more than 4 mm in its maximum dimension, is also permitted. Painting alone does not constitute dressing.
4) A maximum of three flies is permitted which must not be closer to each other than fifty cm, measured eye to eye, hanging freely.
5) All flies must be attached to the leader in such a way that they do not move or slide.
6) All flies must be dressed on hooks which are barbless, de-barbed or have the barb squeezed down flat.

jock0
04-02-08, 11:13 AM
no pre weighted jig hooks
"Pre weighted" might not have been specific enough but according to FIPS Mouche, MCC and GAEL they arent legal so I'll take their word for it thank you very much.

dizzy
04-02-08, 11:33 AM
I'd like to know where they get the info from, because, as in my previous post, no where in the SARFFA rules does it say that Jig heads are illegal, be it weighted or not!

See point 3 in my previous post!

Barbus13
07-02-08, 04:34 PM
Hi

Remember that this isn't as such a competition as just a nice days fishing with the family, and getting rewarded in the evening for a days fishing.
I'm still looking for a person to do a presentation on smallmouth, if anyone would be interested, let me know.
Thank you.

Herman Jooste
07-02-08, 09:00 PM
Hi

Remember that this isn't as such a competition as just a nice days fishing with the family, and getting rewarded in the evening for a days fishing.
I'm still looking for a person to do a presentation on smallmouth, if anyone would be interested, let me know.
Thank you.

Dirk, with all due respect YOU are the SM king in those waters. If I remember correctly the 13 in your "name" comes from a 13lb SM.= just less than 6kg.
You know the habitat, etc. like the back of your hand.
Go for it boet!:D

jock0
08-02-08, 08:40 AM
Hi

Thank you.

Thanks thats what I was hoping - my father and brother wont be keen if they have to "evlove" their fishing for one weekend and cant use their usual rigs and flies.

Barbus13
11-02-08, 04:51 PM
Thanks thats what I was hoping - my father and brother wont be keen if they have to "evlove" their fishing for one weekend and cant use their usual rigs and flies.

Guys, note this is not a "competition" in the true sense of the world. One can fish NZ or CZ nymph rigs, or dries or even streamers, anyway you want to on fly. Thanks.

redhumpy
13-02-08, 11:43 AM
Please tell me more about the accommodation available - if my wife and I, or maybe my daughter and I - come to take part will there be accommodation that gives you a bit of privacy?
What options are there?

Barbus13
19-02-08, 06:23 PM
Please tell me more about the accommodation available - if my wife and I, or maybe my daughter and I - come to take part will there be accommodation that gives you a bit of privacy?
What options are there?

Hi
I do not believe that to be a problem as another lodge about 3-5km upstream will also be used for lodgings. Please phone Andre Hoffman on 0828267076, as he is the lodge owner and co-founder of this weekend, and will be more than willing to assist in any questions.