PDA

View Full Version : Are there any yellowfish breeding programs?

dar
23-11-06, 07:45 PM
Are there any yellowfish breeding programs? If not, why not?

fish
23-11-06, 07:51 PM
I now Cape Nature use to breed Clanwilliam Yellows at some stage, don't think it's going anymore. Since these species, together with Sawfin and Whitefish are the most threatened, breeding should be the logical thing to start doing.

Herman Jooste
24-11-06, 07:49 AM
Are there any yellowfish breeding programs? If not, why not?

That is a very good question Dar! Maybe we should direct it to the YWG and the Eco care Trust?

MCC
24-11-06, 08:58 AM
The Clanwilliam breeding program was situated close to the Clanwilliam Dam wall. It was run by Mike Dohlhoff in those days, but as far as I know it was closed down due to lack of funding.

At the moment most conservation efforts seems to be in the form of stocking these endangered species into controlled environments like farm dams. It is pretty useless to stock them back into the original rivers as this would simply increase the condition factor of the resident Bass populations. There are however plans afoot to create "safe rivers" by poisoning Bass populations and blocking these rivers off from re infestation by building barriers.

Cheers
MC

Pierre
24-11-06, 09:55 AM
...There are however plans afoot to create "safe rivers" by poisoning Bass populations.....
MC

No need to poison the bass Chuck just contacted us and offered his service. Chuck says he doesn't go fishing, because fishing can mean failure or success..... He goes Killing....with his deadly Chuck Nymphing technique that doesn't even involve a Fly Rod..mmmm

Sorry guys :))

How do they poisen the bass without killing any other species ?

dar
24-11-06, 10:12 AM
Ryan Weaver should know more about this cos he told me that they had just stocked the Jonkerhoek fishery with witvis..... Ryan?

Chris Shelton
24-11-06, 11:06 AM
Scientific Services of CNC have been breeding Yellows and Witvis for a number of years now and have already stocked a number of dams in the Kouebokkeveld. One of them being Rietvlei.

I am joining Dean next friday for some snorkelling. He is very excited to show me some Witvis in the Hex River. I can't wait!

Andre
24-11-06, 11:21 AM
Ja , i heared that Dean was involved with this. I would be interested to get some feedback after you see him Chris.
Also with regards the Vaal, perhaps Keith Wallington has some comment on this sublect, althoug he is probably involved in yellowfish conservation only, and not neccessarily preeding programs.

Ryan Weaver
24-11-06, 02:56 PM
Yeah, CapeNature are busy setting up isolated populations especially of Witvis in order to one day supply the river restocking programme. We've moved fish to a number of dams so far including ours here at Jonkershoek and the results thus far have been very positive.

keithw
29-11-06, 08:50 AM
hi all,

Mike (Maximum?) made me aware of this thread and asked if I would like to post, thanks Mike.

Part of the reason why there are relatively few yellowfish breeding projects in existence in RSA is partly due to the moratorium the Yellowfish Working Group placed on stocking yellowfish some 4 odd years back: this moratorium was put in place because very little is known about the differences in DNA between the various yellowfish species, until we know what populations are indeed distinct species it would be dangerous to allow parties to stock fish from 1 side of a catchment to another, or from 1 river system to another (even if the distance between the 2 only a few kms).

breeding projects would of course exacerbate this problem as a large volume of fish of species x would be available for stocking, possibly into rivers that are not the natural range of that species. the result of this would potentially be:

1. interbreeding with the indigenous yellowfish species, leading to a weak strain of fish that would have reduced immunity and potential to fight the elements and disease... ultimately extinction is very possible in this scenario.

2. the introduced species may displace the indigenous species due to aggresiveness, habitat requirement, feeding habits etc resulting in extinction of the indigenous species

the YWG genetic study is pretty much concluded after years of hard work in sample collection from all over RSA and Lesotho and beyond and the final reports are being written up by the Profs involved.

Hopefully thereafter, private and public bodies will be empowered information to make informed decisions around which species should be supported with stockings in which areas.

in the 60's and 70's a number of yellowfish of the wrong species were introduced to support local species that had been impacted by pollution etc...there were some undesirable effects, we'd like to avoid this happeneing again.

Of course the ideal is to maintain the natural habitat in a pristine state so that stocking is unecessary.

I hope this has added some further perspective to your discussion on yellowfish breeding programmes.

Please email me at keith@yellowsonfly.com should you wish to discuss further on this or other subjects.

Some of you may remember the thread on day ticket fees, Mike (Maximum) and I are meeting up for a beer to discuss further, please contact me if you are keen to join us some time next week in JHB.

cheers,
keith

Chris Shelton
29-11-06, 09:42 AM
hi all,

Mike (Maximum?) made me aware of this thread and asked if I would like to post, thanks Mike.

Part of the reason why there are relatively few yellowfish breeding projects in existence in RSA is partly due to the moratorium the Yellowfish Working Group placed on stocking yellowfish some 4 odd years back: this moratorium was put in place because very little is known about the differences in DNA between the various yellowfish species, until we know what populations are indeed distinct species it would be dangerous to allow parties to stock fish from 1 side of a catchment to another, or from 1 river system to another (even if the distance between the 2 only a few kms).

breeding projects would of course exacerbate this problem as a large volume of fish of species x would be available for stocking, possibly into rivers that are not the natural range of that species. the result of this would potentially be:

1. interbreeding with the indigenous yellowfish species, leading to a weak strain of fish that would have reduced immunity and potential to fight the elements and disease... ultimately extinction is very possible in this scenario.

2. the introduced species may displace the indigenous species due to aggresiveness, habitat requirement, feeding habits etc resulting in extinction of the indigenous species

the YWG genetic study is pretty much concluded after years of hard work in sample collection from all over RSA and Lesotho and beyond and the final reports are being written up by the Profs involved.

Hopefully thereafter, private and public bodies will be empowered information to make informed decisions around which species should be supported with stockings in which areas.

in the 60's and 70's a number of yellowfish of the wrong species were introduced to support local species that had been impacted by pollution etc...there were some undesirable effects, we'd like to avoid this happeneing again.

Of course the ideal is to maintain the natural habitat in a pristine state so that stocking is unecessary.

I hope this has added some further perspective to your discussion on yellowfish breeding programmes.

Please email me at keith@yellowsonfly.com should you wish to discuss further on this or other subjects.

Some of you may remember the thread on day ticket fees, Mike (Maximum) and I are meeting up for a beer to discuss further, please contact me if you are keen to join us some time next week in JHB.

cheers,
keith

Thanks for your valuable insight and contribution Keith. It is great to have knowledgable guys like you on the sight. Please don't let this be your last visit. We need more guys like you on here. Thanks again!

dar
29-11-06, 09:43 AM
Very interesting indeed, the last resort, as you say is to have human intervention. The best thing would be to prevent the extinction by eliminating pollution, poaching etc.

I find it disturbing however that "papgooiers" and unscrupulous people with no regard for conservation and preservation of dwindling species are allowed to continue as they do with noone rapping them over the knuckles. In the reptile industry it is illegal to even keep snakes etc captive without a specific permit to do so. In Gauteng it is impossible to obtain such a permit. A permit is required to move a reptile from one location to another and a permit costs money. Surely this money can go towards rangers etc to enforce and further protection of these species?

We flyfishers, as concerned people should take action when we spot potential problems arising.

dizzy
29-11-06, 09:49 AM
Dar you do have a valid point, and I think that many of us feel the same. Unfortunately there are not enough of us joining forces to make a dent. :(

Herman Jooste
29-11-06, 03:04 PM
Guys, believe me it's not only the papgooiers who are uninformed! I was chatting with some experienced yellow flyfishers on Sunday at Geelvis Paradys. We got talking about catches and the one bloke bragged of a 6.7kg LM yellow caught near Kimberley which he "GAVE" to the owner of the farm! When I diplomaticaly pointed out that it was illegal to kill a LM yellow he argued that I was wrong and that it was the SM yellows that were protected and not the LM yellows.
Eissshhh we have a long way to go:(

MaXiMuM
29-11-06, 10:38 PM

Yes thats me...

NCBass
29-11-06, 10:53 PM
It is pretty useless to stock them back into the original rivers as this would simply increase the condition factor of the resident Bass populations. There are however plans afoot to create "safe rivers" by poisoning Bass populations and blocking these rivers off from re infestation by building barriers.
Better alternative to poisonong: Catch them and enjoy the sport and good eating! Unfortunately Bass was introduced into the Clanwilliam water system causing the Clanwilliam Yellows to disappear. The Largemouth Yellow also appears on the IUCN red list for endangered species, but not due to Bass in the Vaal river system. Barbel is a much bigger danger to Yellows than Bass could ever be and yet the species has been surviving before the introduction of Bass into our waters.

Guys, believe me it's not only the papgooiers who are uninformed! I was chatting with some experienced yellow flyfishers on Sunday at Geelvis Paradys. We got talking about catches and the one bloke bragged of a 6.7kg LM yellow caught near Kimberley which he "GAVE" to the owner of the farm! When I diplomaticaly pointed out that it was illegal to kill a LM yellow he argued that I was wrong and that it was the SM yellows that were protected and not the LM yellows.
Eissshhh we have a long way to go:(
Got some very uninformed Spearfishermen around Kimberley hunting all species, including LM's. Maybe should spearfish their tyres when found near our rivers... :rolleyes:
IUCN Red List here
http://www.flyfish.kimvertise.co.za/nov06.htm#IUCN_RED_LIST