PDA

View Full Version : Budget blanks

Jason
26-03-08, 11:45 AM
Hi there guys. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these blanks. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/BL-010304-0000/42400/J.-Stockard-Forecast-Fly-Rod-Blank-4-pc.htmlLet me know your thoughts

Michael
26-03-08, 11:51 AM
Hi there guys. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these blanks. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/BL-010304-0000/42400/J.-Stockard-Forecast-Fly-Rod-Blank-4-pc.htmlLet me know your thoughts

Hi Jason

I have just brought one of these blanks in, the Forecast 4pce 5weight 9foot blank. It looks good, seems to have a very similar action to the Rainshadow (which is a great blank), and it's IM6 graphite so it's not a bottom of the pile type of blank at all. I am busy building it up, to see how it casts, fishes, etc. So far I am very impressed, it's a great value-for-money blank. Has a medium-fast action, and finished off really well.

regards
Mike

smallstreams.co.za
26-03-08, 12:01 PM
Jason

I reckon blanks from Rainshadow/Batson/JStockard/Dorber and the like are all great buys for a 1st project. They are all cheap, and will all fish well. Just make sure the blank you select is suitable to you casting style (soft/medium/fast).

Jason
26-03-08, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. I just came off the batson site here http://www.batsonenterprises.com/content/view/53/188/ and they have a dark blue 4 peice 2 weight blank made with rx6 graphite. What is the difference between rx6 rx7 and rx8 graphite. Are the higher numbers a higher modulus (sp)? If so does this mean the higher the modulus the faster the rod will be. I will be using the 2 weight for the cape streams so I don't need the distance but might just be punching into the wind now and again...but that will be very seldom. What do you guys think about the rainshadow that i mentioned above for $31.00. Could it be the one.?

Michael
26-03-08, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys. I just came off the batson site here http://www.batsonenterprises.com/content/view/53/188/ and they have a dark blue 4 peice 2 weight blank made with rx6 graphite. What is the difference between rx6 rx7 and rx8 graphite. Are the higher numbers a higher modulus (sp)? If so does this mean the higher the modulus the faster the rod will be. I will be using the 2 weight for the cape streams so I don't need the distance but might just be punching into the wind now and again...but that will be very seldom. What do you guys think about the rainshadow that i mentioned above for $31.00. Could it be the one.?

RX6 = IM6 Graphite, RX7 = IM8 Graphite, etc etc
The higher the modulus, the faster the rod (normally). It's a whole scientific process which I will not go into now. It depends on a whole bunch of manufacturing processes, that affect the blank's action.
Anyway, the Rainshadow RX7 is my book is the best bet. Allround, it's a fantastic blank. The RX6 I have just got, looks great too, very similar action anyway to the RX7, and at half the price.

If it were me, I'd go for the RX7 Rainshadow. BUT...get the 4 piece...they will not ship a two piece rod, they can't...postal restrictions on lengths of the package. (I think it's maximum 52 inches).
The RX7 will be perfect for your needs.

Rendier
26-03-08, 12:18 PM
My first build was a Rainshadow 4piece 7'6 4wt. Great little rod

Jason
26-03-08, 12:25 PM
The higher the modulus, the faster the rod (normally). It's a whole scientific process which I will not go into now. It depends on a whole bunch of manufacturing processes, that affect the blank's action.
Anyway, the Rainshadow RX7 is my book is the best bet. Allround, it's a fantastic blank. The RX6 I have just got, looks great too, very similar action anyway to the RX7, and at half the price.

If it were me, I'd go for the RX7 Rainshadow. BUT...get the 4 piece...they will not ship a two piece rod, they can't...postal restrictions on lengths of the package. (I think it's maximum 52 inches).
The RX7 will be perfect for your needs.

I would have also liked to go for the rx7 but they do not have it in a 4 piece 2 weight:( I think the rx6 should be ok and if I stuff it up it would not be a train smash

Michael
26-03-08, 12:42 PM
I would have also liked to go for the rx7 but they do not have it in a 4 piece 2 weight:( I think the rx6 should be ok and if I stuff it up it would not be a train smash

The RX6 4pce will be a good choice...will serve you well, I promise you. And not a bad blank at all, for a very good price.

dizzy
26-03-08, 12:48 PM
ASFAIK - IM6 IM7 & IM8 are brands of graphite, that refer to a range of modulus in the graphite?

Michael
26-03-08, 01:18 PM
If you have time, this is a good read too, to explain it in detail as well:

http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/story.php?id=4

garyatstealth
26-03-08, 03:11 PM
mike where did you get that brilliant info. i want to hijack that for my website.:D :D

Jason
26-03-08, 03:22 PM
awesome stuff Michael. Thanks for all the advice guys. Now that I have the blank sorted all i need to do is choose the extra's. Maybe js can put a kit together for me using this blank. I hope that they have cork grips and reel seats available for a 2 weight.

Korrie
26-03-08, 03:23 PM
If you have time, this is a good read too, to explain it in detail as well:

http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/story.php?id=4

Think it should be a must read for all the forum guys.

smallstreams.co.za
27-03-08, 07:10 AM
awesome stuff Michael. Thanks for all the advice guys. Now that I have the blank sorted all i need to do is choose the extra's. Maybe js can put a kit together for me using this blank. I hope that they have cork grips and reel seats available for a 2 weight.

It's all down to diameters, not rod weight, so yes, they will have the correct items to fit. Make sure you look at diameters when ordering, or just ask them to include seat X to fit the blank.

Michael
27-03-08, 10:20 AM
mike where did you get that brilliant info. i want to hijack that for my website.:D :D

You can't, it's copyrighted. :p :D :p :D

MaXiMuM
27-03-08, 10:43 AM
If I might be so bold€

Im6 = brand of graphite€

ASFAIK - IM6 IM7 & IM8 are brands of graphite, that refer to a range of modulus in the graphite?
Quite right€

[QUOTE=Michael;69747]Best explanation I have heard is this one (Higher modulus = stiffer blank, thinner blank, less weight too):

Higher modulus graphite wants to return to neutral as fast as possible€ but it has pros and cons€ it has a higher tendency to break, as the fibres are stiffer€ it is also lighter€ to get a high modulus graphite to bend, requires a better understanding of the other aspects of the fashioning of a blank, like resins, fibre directional alignment and curing temperature and curing time€

Quite correct, there are 3 things you can change in the design of a blank.
Tapper €“ the diameter of the inside of the rod, and the way it thins, to the tip.
Materials €“ the graphite and the resigns.
Composition €“ the way different graphite€™s and resigns are laid on the mandrel and the curing process.

All in all, we are all learning about this, and none of us are experts, I am just a pleb in this regard€ but the theory goes that the fast the action, the better the builders understanding should be, and the better the materials used, have to be€

In theory, unless you are buying a premium rod, rather lean towards a medium fast action stick€ this will give you a better all round rod and reduce the frustration of replacing it€

As in the €œExplorer Thread€ where someone commented that the rod had a tendency to €œexplode€, this could be because they are trying to create a fast action rod, without the use of the correct materials, and the understanding of these materials€

Jason
27-03-08, 11:28 AM
I have seen Phillip cast an explorer rod at De Mond and the thing exploded on one of the hauls, horrific stuff.

Jasper
27-03-08, 11:35 AM
I have had that happen on a Scott ... and I am sure they use good quality material/design

dizzy
27-03-08, 11:47 AM
The difference is that its more likely to happen to a brand that doesn't use premium material. Just like a Tata is more likely to break down than a BMW.

Michael
27-03-08, 12:00 PM
I have had that happen on a Scott ... and I am sure they use good quality material/design

a Rod doesn't just explode for no good reason...I know certain brands have gotten a lot of bad press here lately, and although I don't like the brands, it does not mean they are bad rods. In fact, there are no real cr@p out there these days! Sometimes yes, there can be a flaw in the blank, but in my experience 90% of the time it's due to angler error or rod abuse. When a bead-head fly hits a blank while casting, or an angler drops his rod on rocks, or bangs it against a wall or whatever, you can almost be sure the blank now has a weak spot, and sooner or later it will crack and break there. I mean hey, let's be serious...have you guys SEEN how some guys abuse their rods??? a Simple thing like threading your fly line through the rods eyes, can break your rod. You MUST thread it straight though, not put a bend in the rod at all. I see many guys take the tip of the leader and then just pull the line and it puts big strain and an unnaturally sharp bend in the top section of the rod. And....*snap!*

The lower modulus rods (cheaper rods) are not as prone to breaking as the premium rods...but still, the premium rods will not just break for no reason. I've also seen an angler pull a yellowfish closer on a Thomas and Thomas, but he bent the butt section so much, that it snapped. To me, this was not the rods' fault.

I believe you can own any rod...if you look after it, fish and cast it correctly, it will last you forever. Don't put it away wet, don't abuse and smack it around, don't pull the line through sharply causing a sharp bend in the tip section, and make sure the ferrules are still snug every now and then while fishing it.

Jasper
27-03-08, 12:04 PM
a Tata is more likely to break down than a BMW.

.... you THINK? .... a lot more to go wrong on a BMW than a vehicle made for Indians!!!:D

Jasper
27-03-08, 12:06 PM

.... don't get me wrong!! .... Scott replaced the rod .. and it is STILL my favourite Brand!!