PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow

Arthur
05-12-06, 11:41 AM
Have any of you fly casters out there experienced tennis elbow?

How did you treat it or did it go away by itself.Any advice or insights would be welcome.

Chris Shelton
05-12-06, 12:07 PM
My dad has always sworn by honey. Spread it on the elbow...eat it, drink it! An old fly fishing buddy of my dad, Neville Fuggle came down with arthritus many years ago, and he treated himself with honey. It cured him!

Wade
05-12-06, 12:12 PM
I have not yet got tennis elbow from fishing but i must say that on occasion my hand cramps up and then i have no chance except if i use my left (being right handed) hand. This is not too easy but i have been practicing when i get the chance (when my hand cramps)

As for cures, my gran used to swear by honey for arthritus (spelling) and gout so no harm in giving it a try, Honey is natures mirical food (and it never goes off).

Wade

Arthur
05-12-06, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys.Luckily I like honey - will try it out.I got the tennis elbow recently and it flared up badly in Mozambique recently.It is a lot better now but still there. I am a bit scared to cast the 9 wt again.

Wade - try relaxing your grip it sounds like you are squeezing the rod handle too hard.It can improve you casting as well.

Wade
05-12-06, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys.Luckily I like honey - will try it out.I got the tennis elbow recently and it flared up badly in Mozambique recently.It is a lot better now but still there. I am a bit scared to cast the 9 wt again.

Wade - try relaxing your grip it sounds like you are squeezing the rod handle too hard.It can improve you casting as well.

Thanks for the advice Arthur

I will give it a try this afternoon on Tyronne's steam X.

Keep well and chat again any time

Wade

KevinC
05-12-06, 12:35 PM
I have not yet got tennis elbow from fishing but i must say that on occasion my hand cramps up and then i have no chance except if i use my left (being right handed) hand. This is not too easy but i have been practicing when i get the chance (when my hand cramps)

ha ha ha ha ha! Me and my sick mind...;) :D :D

dpammenter
05-12-06, 12:46 PM

heheh don't go there :D

gkieser
05-12-06, 12:47 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh no you didn't... Watch out for the ... er.... chum line....:D

Arthur
05-12-06, 12:50 PM
With enough practice you can change from right to left without missing a beat!

dpammenter
05-12-06, 12:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! Oh no you didn't... Watch out for the ... er.... chum line....:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Arthur
05-12-06, 12:58 PM
Of course none of this is recommended for tennis elbow but it could provide a certain amount of "relief" out on the water!

Chris Shelton
05-12-06, 01:05 PM
Of course none of this is recommended for tennis elbow but it could provide a certain amount of "relief" out on the water!

I suspect that you could be in the company of experts in this field Arthur. Sometimes more can be read behind the lines than if you were giving a pratical demonstration :D

Arthur
05-12-06, 01:09 PM
I suspect that you could be in the company of experts in this field Arthur. Sometimes more can be read behind the lines than if you were giving a pratical demonstration :D
Ja Chris I think you could say they have a firm grasp on the subject!

KevinC
05-12-06, 01:11 PM

HA HA HA!:D

Chris Shelton
05-12-06, 01:11 PM

yeah, different strokes for different folks eh?

Arthur
05-12-06, 01:15 PM
Ha ha haaaa!

Jees this could go on for ever.

Chris Shelton
05-12-06, 01:16 PM
Ha ha haaaa!

Jees this could go on for ever.

Be sure to give us the heads up on that elbow of yours :D

dpammenter
05-12-06, 01:18 PM
eish! you lot ... heheh

Arthur
05-12-06, 01:19 PM
Be sure to give us the heads up on that elbow of yours :D
He he.

It took just 5 posts for this thread to degenerate - what is the record?

gkieser
05-12-06, 01:23 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Stop! Ek kannie meer nie!

Chris Shelton
05-12-06, 01:27 PM
He he.

what is the record?

I think 3 times in one hour Arthur

Arthur
05-12-06, 01:36 PM
I think 3 times in one hour Arthur
Ha ha!

No man this is out of my league!

nkula_nkula
05-12-06, 06:19 PM
The sports science institute in Newlands are very good with sports injuries....

I used to play alot of tennis and I know they deal with "tennis elbow" injuries and fix it with physio and special strap with a pressure pad that you wear on your arm.

I can recommend the sports science institute highly, they have helped me out in the past with sports related injuries. Just an alternative to the honey method!

If you give your ellbow a rest, it will feel better. But you actually need to strengthen the muscles/tendons/ligaments to actually cure it properly otherwise it will just re-occur.

Hope this helps

Arthur
06-12-06, 10:36 AM
The sports science institute in Newlands are very good with sports injuries....

I used to play alot of tennis and I know they deal with "tennis elbow" injuries and fix it with physio and special strap with a pressure pad that you wear on your arm.

I can recommend the sports science institute highly, they have helped me out in the past with sports related injuries. Just an alternative to the honey method!

If you give your ellbow a rest, it will feel better. But you actually need to strengthen the muscles/tendons/ligaments to actually cure it properly otherwise it will just re-occur.

Hope this helps
Thanks Liam

Will look into it.
I must also look into exercises for strengthening - I think that's how I got it in the first place - a long period of casting inactivity and then a heck of a lot of casting with heavy saltwater outfits.

Wade
06-12-06, 01:02 PM
heheh don't go there :D

You are all soo bad

dlampert
06-12-06, 02:05 PM
Thanks Liam

Will look into it.
I must also look into exercises for strengthening - I think that's how I got it in the first place - a long period of casting inactivity and then a heck of a lot of casting with heavy saltwater outfits.

Hi Arthur,

A couple of years back on a trip to Rhodes, I fished the rivers for around 10 days in a row. The water was quite high and fast and I was doing a lot of retrieving of the flyline while nymphing. At the end of the trip, my casting arm was fine but my left which I was using for retrieving was starting to go numb. My pinkie and ring fingers remained numb for a couple of weeks. I went for some physio (discovered I was pinching a nerve in my elbow due to inflamation) which seemed to help a bit but I still had the numbness. I did exercises and all sorts of other remedies. Eventually I went to my GP and had a cortisone injection into my elbow which I had been dreading. The injection was pretty painless and I haven't had a problem since. Once you have eaten a couple of bottles of honey, been to visit the dentist, said 3 hail mary's, walked anti-clockwise around your flyrods etc then perhaps pay a visit to your GP :)

Regards,
Darryl

dpammenter
06-12-06, 02:11 PM
Once you have eaten a couple of bottles of honey, been to visit the dentist, said 3 hail mary's, walked anti-clockwise around your flyrods etc then perhaps pay a visit to your GP :)

HAHAHA! now THAT seems to be the answer!