PDA

View Full Version : CDC Klinki Step by Step

dlampert
20-04-08, 06:54 PM
A slightly different tie to Liam's great pattern. I think I lot of us have been experimenting with and fishing similar flies - perhaps just tied differently. I know that Grant also ties a nice CDC Klinki.

Hook: Hanak H400BL Size 14 Jig Hook or other emerger hook
Thread: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 (Colour to match body)
Body: Dry Fly Dubbing (Colour of choice)
Thorax: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)
Rib: Sparkle Organza or Thin Silver Wire
Hackle: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)

Step 1
Position hook in vise as shown
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep1.jpg

Step 2
Dress hook to bend
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep2.jpg

Step 3
Tie in foam post
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep3.jpg

Step 4
Tie in sparkle organza or thin silver wire and run thread around bend of hook.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep4.jpg

Step 5
Lightly dub tapered body to post
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep5.jpg

Step 6
Rib in opposite direction with organza/wire, trim excess and tie off.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep6.jpg

Step 7
Hold CDC feather by tip and stroke the barbs until they are 90 degrees to the shank. Place in clamp as shown and trim off the stalk.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep7.jpg

Step 8
Spin thread anti-clockwise and then run your nail down the thread (close to the fly) to flatten it. Split thread using a bodkin or embroidery needle.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep8.jpg

dlampert
20-04-08, 06:55 PM
Step 9
Place CDC barbs inside the thread loop and pull down on bobbin gently before releasing clamp to lock feathers in place. Spin bobbin gently in a clock-wise direction and once it has rotated a couple of times you can spin it hard.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep9.jpg

Step 10
Wrap the dubbing loop around the foam post as you would with hackle. Don't worry too much about trapping some of the barbs as these will form a nice buggy thorax. Complete the fly with a couple of half-hitches and trim the post short.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckstep10.jpg

Side View
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckside.jpg

Top View
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdcktop.jpg

Bottom View
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckbottom.jpg

Fly Floating
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/capetrout/cdckfloat.jpg

Andre
20-04-08, 07:16 PM
Lovely Daryll, absolutely marvelous. Your "step by step posts are really refreshing, and have added some great value to my tying abilities. Keep them comming. Thanks

dlampert
20-04-08, 08:33 PM
Lovely Daryll, absolutely marvelous. Your "step by step posts are really refreshing, and have added some great value to my tying abilities. Keep them comming. Thanks

Thanks Andrea, when are we going to see some of your patterns ?

Gerrit Viljoen
20-04-08, 08:59 PM
Well done and ta for the pics.:) Where do u get your hooks from?

dlampert
20-04-08, 09:01 PM
Well done and ta for the pics.:) Where do u get your hooks from?

Hi Gerrit, I got them from Ed Herbst who I think in turn got them from Korrie.

Rgds,
Darryl

Andre
20-04-08, 09:22 PM
Thanks Andrea, when are we going to see some of your patterns ?

Daryll, I would like to post some patterns, but firstly, My flies would look stupid compared to yours, but I am working on afew, secondly, my photography of flies is an embarrasment, this also needs to be worked on.
Anyway, mybe soon.

Benja
20-04-08, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the 'in the water' pic. Since I have never fished with dries before, I was wondering how it would look like floating and then I saw the pic :)

cptfly
21-04-08, 09:49 AM
Nice work Darryl

Pierre cant we move all these step by step tying instructions to their own topic/group/heading ?

Korrie
21-04-08, 09:50 AM
Hi Darrel
Super pics.
If you take another sets of pictures, I want to ask you to take a photo from below the horizon. That way we can see reflection or mirror effect of the subsurface part of the fly against the top of the water.
This factor is a very important factor with a fly.
Discussions with flyfishers have argued that is one of the reasons why the Klinkhamer is so effective.
The reflection also have a "magnifying" effect.
All of above adds to the trigger effect for taking the fly.

Korrie

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 09:58 AM
Hi Darrel
Super pics.
If you take another sets of pictures, I want to ask you to take a photo from below the horizon. That way we can see reflection or mirror effect of the subsurface part of the fly against the top of the water.
Discussions with flyfishers have argued that is one of the reasons why the Klinkhamer is so effective.

Korrie

Great idea!!

D, Ed showed me that little box Neil Hodges made for him for this purpose. Some clear perspex/glass with a 45° mirror inside. You must have seen it??

Korrie
21-04-08, 10:17 AM
Mario
I regulary fish down stream nymphing.
One of the techinques I have employed is a bead of various sizes depending on the water flow and laminar flows. ( doing this in broken water is a completely different set of techniques)
Behind this bead I attacha soft hackle fly. Between 40 cm and 1 meter depending how much I want to play.(have tried various colors)
The bead should be only about dip about 1 to 2 cm below water surface. You can control this depth depending on the flow, with the bead size and the height of your rod. The soft hackle ends up at a maximum of 2cm below surface
The takes have been nothing of spectacular at times.
I am of the firm opinion that the reflection and magnification of the soft hackle in the surface film, coupled with color gives the fish the strike zone.

The agressive takes, at times, on a #14 hook will surprise even the most experienced fly fisher.

Try it, you will enjoy it.

dlampert
21-04-08, 11:08 AM
Nice work Darryl

Pierre cant we move all these step by step tying instructions to their own topic/group/heading ?

Thanks John. Agreed, Grant's index need to become a "sticky" so that it remains at the top of the Flytying section. Please Pierre.

dlampert
21-04-08, 11:11 AM
Hi Darrel
Super pics.

Korrie

Thanks Konnie,

Need a bit of extra equipment for those pics but it's on my list of things to do.

Regards,
Darryl

dlampert
21-04-08, 11:12 AM
Great idea!!

D, Ed showed me that little box Neil Hodges made for him for this purpose. Some clear perspex/glass with a 45° mirror inside. You must have seen it??

Hi Mario,

Ja, I liked it so much I took it home with me when I left Basie :D Had to send it back up to Ed with Eben for the Bell's. It's made by C&F design - I will either buy one or make myself one.

Regards,
Darryl

ArcherFish
21-04-08, 11:50 AM
Hi Mario,

Ja, I liked it so much I took it home with me when I left Basie :D Had to send it back up to Ed with Eben for the Bell's. It's made by C&F design - I will either buy one or make myself one.

Regards,
Darryl

Hi Darryl
Give me a piece of mirror and I can make you a glass one.
Wont be pretty, but it will work.

dlampert
21-04-08, 11:56 AM
Hi Darryl
Give me a piece of mirror and I can make you a glass one.
Wont be pretty, but it will work.

Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for the offer. If I don't come right I will take you up on it. I tried to get you on Friday but you had obviously left early - thanks very much for the watch - it arrived on Friday.

Regards,
Darryl

nkula_nkula
21-04-08, 12:35 PM
Nice pattern!!!!

Pink is an awesome colour for indicator posts....

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 12:38 PM
Whom of you tyers use embroidery thread for a post instead of the "norm"?

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 12:57 PM
Whom of you tyers use thread for a post instead of the "norm"?

Gerrit, what would the purpose be? The post does 2 things, hold the hackle material, and acts as a sighter. The 2nd being more important imho.

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 12:58 PM
Mario
I regulary fish down stream nymphing.
One of the techinques I have employed is a bead of various sizes depending on the water flow and laminar flows. ( doing this in broken water is a completely different set of techniques)
Behind this bead I attacha soft hackle fly. Between 40 cm and 1 meter depending how much I want to play.(have tried various colors)
The bead should be only about dip about 1 to 2 cm below water surface. You can control this depth depending on the flow, with the bead size and the height of your rod. The soft hackle ends up at a maximum of 2cm below surface
The takes have been nothing of spectacular at times.
I am of the firm opinion that the reflection and magnification of the soft hackle in the surface film, coupled with color gives the fish the strike zone.

The agressive takes, at times, on a #14 hook will surprise even the most experienced fly fisher.

Try it, you will enjoy it.

Similar to Oliver Edwards' North Country Wet Flies (Spiders) DVD Episode?

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 01:04 PM
Gerrit, what would the purpose be? The post does 2 things, hold the hackle material, and acts as a sighter. The 2nd being more important imho.

Ok sorry more clarity :o

What u do is use about 10 strands cut to workable length.(U'll trim it to correct length at the finale :p )

1.It takes floatant very well so no need to stress there or about it's flotation for that matter providing u use the correct hook.
2.It'll hold the hackle.
3.Lots of colors to choose from for optimal visibility.
4.Easy to work with.
5.I've only seen it used on Klinkhammers.
6.If used correctly I think it'll give u more subtlety wrt skittish fish.To bulky a post be that foam or yarn can put fish off.

U with me?

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 01:09 PM
U with me?

Jap

To bulky a post be that foam or yarn can put fish off.

Why not just use a few strands (10) of Antron/Z-Lon/Polyprop or whatever then? That would surely be easier than all the effort with the thread and give the same result?

Also, the post materials come in brighter colours than most threads which should make it easier to spot.

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 01:11 PM
Jap

Why not just use a few strands (10) of Antron/Z-Lon/Polyprop or whatever then? That would surely be easier than all the effort with the thread and give the same result?

Also, the post materials come in brighter colours than most threads which should make it easier to spot.

Everything u say is spot on.Just thought I'd ask because I've seen it work pretty well. :)

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 01:22 PM
Everything u say is spot on.Just thought I'd ask because I've seen it work pretty well. :)

So iow you reckon the thread post might give you a greater advantage above a thin "normal" post, or is it just something different to try?

Not trying to be moeilik, just want to know it I should give it a go because it's better than the "normal" posts. :D

rols
21-04-08, 01:23 PM
If you can't get that shape hook, can I use a normal dry fly hook?

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 01:31 PM
So iow you reckon the thread post might give you a greater advantage above a thin "normal" post, or is it just something different to try?

Not trying to be moeilik, just want to know it I should give it a go because it's better than the "normal" posts. :D

Hi,

I'd go for something different eventhough it works fine.U know me by now if it's different and it works just as well as the norm I'm there.I'll search for the exact dressing and revert back soon.I have it amongst my files somewhere.

G

Scythe
21-04-08, 01:42 PM
If I find a fish that turns his nose up at my Klinky because it's made with foam or poly yarn ... then I don't really need to catch that fish.

dlampert
21-04-08, 01:54 PM
If you can't get that shape hook, can I use a normal dry fly hook?

Hi Roland,

Any emerger or scud hook should work fine. You can also bend one of these to get a similar shape to the Hanak jig hook - as per MC if you heat the hook first with a lighter then it shouldn't break. A normal dry fly hook will not put the body of the fly under the water which is one of the triggers in a Klinkhammer or other emerger. Having said that, I tie the same pattern on a normal dry fly hook with a Coq-de-leon tail and fish it as a para-mayfly - works very well. If you prefer a neater tie you can simply pull all the CDC below the fly and trim it to shank length. If any interest, I might do a step by step for this pattern as well.

Regards,
Darryl

rols
21-04-08, 01:58 PM
thanks for the info Darryl

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 01:59 PM
If any interest, I might do a step by step for this pattern as well.

Interest!!

I'll do a sequence of the Extended Body Mayfly once a certain TXL is done <sigh>

Scythe
21-04-08, 02:05 PM
I second the interrest!

Very nice sequence Dr Lampert.

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 02:06 PM
Here's the dressing I have.

Klinkhammer

Hook: Patridge Emerger #16
Thread: 14/0 Grey
Body:Tan Marabou
Ribbing: Gold Tinsel
Hackle:Black
Hotspot: Orange HE

Ps.I've got a slight suspicion that this fly originates from the vice of Mc.I might be wrong.

Korrie
21-04-08, 02:47 PM
Similar to Oliver Edwards' North Country Wet Flies (Spiders) DVD Episode?

Very similar.
With spiders you swing across and hold. It is also much more difficult to control the flies at a certain depth.
I use the bead as a depth controller, plus the angle of the rod. This aproach is also much more direct. Not so much casting across and swinging.
This approach is much more direct and targeting a specific fish or lie.
Swinging wet flies, is much more of a covering of water and searching way of fishing.
Personaly I prefer fishing below the surface of the water.
The dry flies are to boring. All you do is cast upstream and look at a fly the whole day floating on the water. Hopefully a trout will rise and then everybody is excited about the "take".
As soon as you go below the surface you add an extra dimension. Depth.
On the surface it is widt and length. That is all.
The 3rd dimension below the surface adds the really interesting part, which is more challenging and rewarding.

Gerrit Viljoen
21-04-08, 02:54 PM
I couldn't agree more wrt the dries.

Yes seeing/feeling/experiencing the take is great but if ur after catching fish pers&#233; u don't need to use more than 3-5 flies(no dries) all year round whether ur hunting trout in Mphuma or yellows in the Vaal.

But having said that it is nice to alter ur approach and incorporate other tactics,dries being one of them.

smallstreams.co.za
21-04-08, 03:16 PM
Very similar.
With spiders you swing across and hold. It is also much more difficult to control the flies at a certain depth.
I use the bead as a depth controller, plus the angle of the rod. This aproach is also much more direct. Not so much casting across and swinging.
This approach is much more direct and targeting a specific fish or lie.
Swinging wet flies, is much more of a covering of water and searching way of fishing.
Personaly I prefer fishing below the surface of the water.
The dry flies are to boring. All you do is cast upstream and look at a fly the whole day floating on the water. Hopefully a trout will rise and then everybody is excited about the "take".
As soon as you go below the surface you add an extra dimension. Depth.
On the surface it is widt and length. That is all.
The 3rd dimension below the surface adds the really interesting part, which is more challenging and rewarding.

Mooooerse dry and your bead and wet below!! How's that for covering it all now :D :D :D

dlampert
21-04-08, 03:33 PM
Daryll, I would like to post some patterns, but firstly, My flies would look stupid compared to yours, but I am working on afew, secondly, my photography of flies is an embarrasment, this also needs to be worked on.
Anyway, mybe soon.

Sounds like a lame excuse to me :D You are a guide and fish provincially - I am sure you have lots of good patterns - you competitive guys just don't like sharing in case someone catches a fish on your fly :D :D As for the photography bit, you just plonk the camera on something steady, put a light source over the fly, put the camera in macro mode and snap away.

Shamwari
21-04-08, 04:02 PM
Hello Darrel

Thanks for the terrific pic's...that is absolutely brilliant

ArcherFish
22-04-08, 07:42 AM
Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for the offer. If I don't come right I will take you up on it. I tried to get you on Friday but you had obviously left early - thanks very much for the watch - it arrived on Friday.

Regards,
Darryl

No problem. Replaced some windows lat week and used the "leftovers" to make a fly swimming / floating / viewing tank.
All you need is the glass, some silicon & a small fountain pump.
Will post pics when I get a chance.