PDA

View Full Version : This would be a great idea.

nicholas
23-05-08, 04:59 PM
I was just browsing this website and came across the fly of the year log,i think this would be a great addition to the forum.......

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/blog/18/Fly-of-the-Year-For-2007

chris williams
23-05-08, 05:28 PM
Interesting one, Nick. IMHO I'm not too sure how objective anyone can be on keeping such records. Don't get me wrong, I keep a diary of what/when/if/how.

I just note that the gent's previous year's flies are in the main older more tried and testeds, whereas for the latest season they seem to be mainly newbie current model state-of-the-arts. Did the dude also use the previous season's flies for the last season in equal proportion?

Also the type and frequency of individual insect hatches may have varies between each season, and was he fishing on the same stretch of river, water/air temps, moon phase and (gag...) baro presh..?

Often e.g. here, someone sees another catching on an olive wooly bugger, and switches to same and catches a fish. Whilst he remains using this fly he does not know if another fly may be inferior or superior on that occasion?

I'm not knocking this guy's excellent record-keeping, merely pointing out there are a whole load more variables than he possibly (and myself for that matter!....) accounted for. He seems to like the CDC biot thorax dun, but doesn't appear to relate that these adults have hatched from nymphs so at some period nymphs would have done the job at certain periods better than the adults in the last season.

In other words, without sounding prissy, how objective are his results, and indeed how objective can we ever get in flyfishing? Merely we can try quantify as best possible whilst facing ever-changing variables?

nicholas
23-05-08, 06:34 PM
Interesting one, Nick. IMHO I'm not too sure how objective anyone can be on keeping such records. Don't get me wrong, I keep a diary of what/when/if/how.

I just note that the gent's previous year's flies are in the main older more tried and testeds, whereas for the latest season they seem to be mainly newbie current model state-of-the-arts. Did the dude also use the previous season's flies for the last season in equal proportion?

Also the type and frequency of individual insect hatches may have varies between each season, and was he fishing on the same stretch of river, water/air temps, moon phase and (gag...) baro presh..?

Often e.g. here, someone sees another catching on an olive wooly bugger, and switches to same and catches a fish. Whilst he remains using this fly he does not know if another fly may be inferior or superior on that occasion?

I'm not knocking this guy's excellent record-keeping, merely pointing out there are a whole load more variables than he possibly (and myself for that matter!....) accounted for. He seems to like the CDC biot thorax dun, but doesn't appear to relate that these adults have hatched from nymphs so at some period nymphs would have done the job at certain periods better than the adults in the last season.

In other words, without sounding prissy, how objective are his results, and indeed how objective can we ever get in flyfishing? Merely we can try quantify as best possible whilst facing ever-changing variables?

So in short NO, not a good idea:D :D (like the decision to let John terry to take a penalty:D ).

I would like to say thanks Chris,at least you had the decency to explain the reason why and not just said no its a crap idea.

chris williams
23-05-08, 07:36 PM
What - John Terry take the penalty??:D :D

Seriously I'm not knocking the idea, but if one season your trendy flies are all tried/tested nymphs, say, and next year, having a bit more experience and learning how to tie CDC dries etc and fishing same, I just feel it's difficult to judge which are the better. They probably all have their moment, if there were any easy answers I would certainly like to hear them!

Just enjoyed a couple of Weiss beers with Byron at my lunchtime German pub haunt. Minika appeared to have left already, but there were a brace of ample pellet-fed substitutes as compensation....

Great fun, alles klaar!!:D

nicholas
23-05-08, 07:53 PM
What - John Terry take the penalty??:D :D

Seriously I'm not knocking the idea, but if one season your trendy flies are all tried/tested nymphs, say, and next year, having a bit more experience and learning how to tie CDC dries etc and fishing same, I just feel it's difficult to judge which are the better. They probably all have their moment, if there were any easy answers I would certainly like to hear them!

Just enjoyed a couple of Weiss beers with Byron at my lunchtime German pub haunt. Minika appeared to have left already, but there were a brace of ample pellet-fed substitutes as compensation....

Great fun, alles klaar!!:D

I appreciate your analysis behind your answer and i think you have proved that sometimes things are not at first what they appear.

Now the more important issue of Minika any chance you could post a pic on the catch report:D

chris williams
23-05-08, 08:03 PM
I would need to dedicate one screen's worth to each of the brace of bulky pectoral appendages..

Maybe Herman can assist me here as well on posting the pics???....

Byron
23-05-08, 08:34 PM
it's going to be tough taking the good ol woolly bugger off it's throne.

chris williams
23-05-08, 08:40 PM
She'd left before we got to the pub?:D

Byron
23-05-08, 08:41 PM
next time we get there early and we might take a few on dries during the evening rise :D

chris williams
23-05-08, 08:51 PM
As long as neither of us keeps a diary of the times of the rises which may be used later as evidence against us ...:eek: :D

Byron
23-05-08, 08:52 PM
never - nor the flies that work.

chris williams
23-05-08, 08:54 PM
My flies never work - they rust up - so I just use buttons like in good ol' Levi jeans

Chris Shelton
23-05-08, 09:46 PM
My flies never work - they rust up - so I just use buttons like in good ol' Levi jeans

hehehe...you crack me up boet! :D :D :D

Alles klaar! :D :D

Byron
23-05-08, 10:31 PM

nothing worse than rusty tackle - one should always keep it well oiled

chris williams
23-05-08, 10:36 PM
Is that why your Okuma 1-weight fibreglass reel always creaks and groans before the handle falls off?

Byron
23-05-08, 10:39 PM
that's just strain from all the action and it doesn't like the dry highveld air

Chris Shelton
23-05-08, 10:43 PM
nothing worse than rusty tackle - one should always keep it well oiled

and always dry your zonker thoroughly before putting it back in the 'box' :D

chris williams
23-05-08, 10:43 PM
Sounds like Minika's raw and calloused right-hand

Byron
23-05-08, 10:49 PM