PDA

View Full Version : Alternative rods

Korrie
31-05-08, 11:03 AM
I mentioned one of my rods in another thread.

I thought I would start another thread to show this alternative rod.
It is a completely different mindset fishing with these rods.
Imagine have a single rod that can be 4 different weights, plus 5 different lenghts, with 5 different tips, from soft to very firm.

http://www.flyfishingpalu.com/

Use google to translate the site for you.

I have been travelling and fishing with this rod for the last 5 years.

The biggest thing to fish with this rod is the mind shift that you have to make.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Have a look at his flies as well.

A true free thinker in the fly fishing world.

Benja
31-05-08, 11:07 AM
hi, how do you use google to translate it?

poppernel
31-05-08, 11:08 AM
I mentioned one of my rods in another thread.

I thought I would start another thread to show this alternative rod.
It is a completely different mindset fishing with these rods.
Imagine have a single rod that can be 4 different weights, plus 5 different lenghts, with 5 different tips, from soft to very firm.

Use google to translate the site for you.

I have been travelling and fishing with this rod for the last 5 years.

The biggest thing to fish with this rod is the mind shift that you have to make.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Have a look at his flies as well.

A true free thinker in the fly fishing world.

KI Korrie

What is the weight of this rod like, would it not be heavier than most, just asking.

Dave

Korrie
31-05-08, 11:18 AM
KI Korrie

What is the weight of this rod like, would it not be heavier than most, just asking.

Dave

Yes it is heavier.
But it is still much lighter than taking 4 different rods, plus 4 different lenghts, plus different actions.

To translate, the easiest is to search with google, "palu fly fishing" then hit the translate button at the end of the address of google.

As mentioned earlier, to fish with this rod is a mind shift.

To think that you can fish 4 or 5 different lenghts of rods in the space of a seconds. To nymph across a deep run with the rod fully extend to its max lenght( depending on model up to 15 feet) or change the weighted nymphs to a dry fly and fish a bushed up section on 6,5 feet dry fly rig. I called it complete fly fishing.

For travelling this is the perfect rod. Full stop. you can cover any situation fishing. Obviously not #15 open sea scenario.

poppernel
31-05-08, 11:23 AM
Thanks

First wanted that cleared, and it makes sense. Will now google it

Dave

Korrie
31-05-08, 11:23 AM
hi, how do you use google to translate it?

I use the search function, search for "Palu fly fishing.
at the end of the adress bar there is a translate function. Hit that button

Korrie
31-05-08, 11:25 AM
Yes it is heavier.
But it is still much lighter than taking 4 different rods, plus 4 different lenghts, plus different actions.

To translate, the easiest is to search with google, "palu fly fishing" then hit the translate button at the end of the address of google.

As mentioned earlier, to fish with this rod is a mind shift.

To think that you can fish 4 or 5 different lenghts of rods in the space of a seconds. To nymph across a deep run with the rod fully extend to its max lenght( depending on model up to 15 feet) or change the weighted nymphs to a dry fly and fish a bushed up section on 6,5 feet dry fly rig. I called it complete fly fishing.

For travelling this is the perfect rod. Full stop. you can cover any situation fishing. Obviously not #15 open sea scenario.

To fish a different line weight, replace the line or the reel with a different line weight.

Benja
31-05-08, 11:41 AM
I use the search function, search for "Palu fly fishing.
at the end of the adress bar there is a translate function. Hit that button

thanks I got it right

poppernel
31-05-08, 11:50 AM
thanks I got it right

:D :D Me too:cool:

Dave

Pheasant Tail Nymph
01-06-08, 01:09 PM
I first posted this on the "Limited to six flyrods" thread. When I found this thread, I cut it and now past it here.

I would only take 2 rods.

My Palu rod ( this is a telescopic rod that is a #3, 4 , 5 , 6, 7 all in one)
It is from a adjustable from a 6,5 feet to 12 feet rod.
It is the most perfect travel rod.

There is beter 3, 4 , 5 ,6 and 7 weights available, but not a combination.
Have a look at his website.
His flies are also radical
Use google to translate his site

Plus a #10.

Lines: a floater and DI3

Korrie, I just had a look at that rod and the website two or so days ago. The fact that that rod caters for such a range of line weights caught my interest. After that article about Edoardo Ferrero in the March 2006 TCFF issue (#137) I understood the great usefulness of a rod that gives you a whole range of lengths and I assumed that it still had to have a good action if the captain of the Italian Fly Fishing team uses one.

However, I destinctly remember Bill Hansford-Steel writing in African Fly Fishing Handbook that he didn't like the rods that catered for a wide range of line weights. Do you find that the action is still good despite being designed for so many lines? Aren't rods designed to through a certain weight of 30ft line? The gap between a #3 and an #7 weight is huge. If that Palu rod really casts nicely with such a big range, that would be incredible!

Kind regards,
PTN

Korrie
02-06-08, 07:51 AM
Hi PTN
It is a bit strange to think that one rod can cast all the different line weights.

In my humble opinion, I think it works on the basis the heavier the line the furhter down the rod it loads the rod. So the heavier the line the "softer the action.
If you look at the rod you will notice the but section is much thicker than the "normal" rod.

Fishing with this rod it is more like fishing with a multi fishing rod.

How many times a day, do you go to a stream, and you want to fish a little run here, under a branch 3 feet further. Especailly nymphing, it changes, your whole approach to fishing. Your fishing becomes more active.

Pheasant Tail Nymph
02-06-08, 06:02 PM
Hi PTN
It is a bit strange to think that one rod can cast all the different line weights.

In my humble opinion, I think it works on the basis the heavier the line the furhter down the rod it loads the rod. So the heavier the line the "softer the action.
If you look at the rod you will notice the but section is much thicker than the "normal" rod.

Fishing with this rod it is more like fishing with a multi fishing rod.

How many times a day, do you go to a stream, and you want to fish a little run here, under a branch 3 feet further. Especailly nymphing, it changes, your whole approach to fishing. Your fishing becomes more active.

Korrie,

I haven't had many of those scenarios, but I am sure that it's because I don't get the opportunity to fish streams often. I think it would be interesting to fish with on of those and absolutely great for traveling purposes.

Now for another question: Do you fish with this rod often or do you prefer it only for traveling?

Kind regards,
PTN

Korrie
03-06-08, 09:37 AM
Korrie,

I haven't had many of those scenarios, but I am sure that it's because I don't get the opportunity to fish streams often. I think it would be interesting to fish with on of those and absolutely great for traveling purposes.

Now for another question: Do you fish with this rod often or do you prefer it only for traveling?

Kind regards,
PTN

This is my standard rod for fishing.
I might every now and again pull out another rod and fish with it.
My second choice rod for the streams is a 8"3 that the Czech gave me.
It is a lovely mid action rod. Lovely for nymphing the Cape streams, yet can put a dry on a dime.
But half way thru the day I'm am so frustrated that I am not fishing all the possible spots I can to the optimum, that I wish I had my Palu with me.

Fishing with a Palu changes your way that you fish, it changes your thinking, and with it you will be able to fish places that are normally very difficult to reach.

Ask your Dad for a Kulula or a Mango ticket, I will put you up for a weekend and we can go fishing the Cape streams. I'm sure there are a couple of Forumers that will also be very happy to show you a stream or two.

Pheasant Tail Nymph
13-06-08, 06:21 PM
Ask your Dad for a Kulula or a Mango ticket, I will put you up for a weekend and we can go fishing the Cape streams. I'm sure there are a couple of Forumers that will also be very happy to show you a stream or two.

Hi Korrie,

I apologize for only replying now. I've been a little tied up, or should I say, tied down.

Thank you for your offer. I do plan on visiting your part of the world soon. If not this year, then hopefully next year, when I have finished school. THe problem is not the ticket. I can save up for that myself. Getting my mom's permission is a little harder though.

Thanks again,
PTN