PDA

View Full Version : Prefered 9wt fly rod for S.A. Conditions

cptfly
16-06-08, 09:54 AM
Good day All,

I would like to know your prefered 9WT fly rod which according to you are the perfect rod for South African conditions and species.

Explorer - Guide Series
Explorer - Classic 2
Stealth - Magnum+
Stealth - Bomber
Horizon - TRS
Vision - 3Zone
Vision - GTFour
Temple Fork - Jim Teeny
Temple Fork - Signature
Temple Fork - Ti Cr
Temple Fork - Ti Cr X

optimax
18-06-08, 10:55 AM
TiCr X and TiCr

srt007
18-06-08, 11:50 AM
I currently have a Explorer Guide series, but if I had to choose from that list it would be either one of the Visions or the Horizon. Nothing wrong with any of those rods. All depends on your casting style, but any of those rods would be fine for SA conditions and species. Personal preference: I've ordered a 9wt redington CPS last week from the states, 6wt to follow. Don't think I'll ever buy any other rods than the CPS. They cast like a dream and as light as a feather. The 12wt cps (4.0 oz) is lighter than most 5 - 6 wt rods from most other brands... not that a 4.5 - 5.8 oz rod is heavy, but for my skinny ass casting all day long does tire a man out!

Bruce
18-06-08, 05:55 PM
I am not sure I would bother with any of those. I have learned the hard way over many years that "goedkoop is duurkoop"
Get a premium rod - it will save you a fortune in the long run and provide many more smiles...
Personally, I would go for a GLoomis CrossCurrent GLX...

Andre
18-06-08, 06:33 PM
I am not sure I would bother with any of those. I have learned the hard way over many years that "goedkoop is duurkoop"
Get a premium rod - it will save you a fortune in the long run and provide many more smiles...
Personally, I would go for a GLoomis CrossCurrent GLX...

I don't fish the salt very often, but when I bought my 9wt, which is a premium brand, i intended to do a lot more salty stuff. It turns out that although I enjoy it, there are no places nearby that i really enjoy going to. I have tried Blakes, and i absolutely hate it. I can't fish with traffic etc. De mond is cool, yes, but quite a trek out there, and if i was going to drive so far, I would rather go to the streams or Larkies. It turns out that i fish the salt only on the annual pilgrimmage to plett over december/January. I have a Sage TCR, with three abel super 10 reels, one for floating, sinking, intermediate. Turns out , it's a complete waste of money for me, so in my case, more budjet products would be more suitable. The fishing buddies that i lend my stuff to, get more use out of it than I do.