PDA

View Full Version : fishing around Kimberley

kelly
18-06-08, 08:39 AM
Hi,
Been doing a lot of fishing in the kimberley area, have been moved here on account of SWAMBO...... Are then any fellow fly fishermen on this forum in the area who would be keen to do some fishing? Not quite the same fishing on your own all the time, for one nobody ever believes your stories.

Gele
18-06-08, 05:31 PM
Hi Kelly
Welcome to Largie country! Check out our club and NCYWG on www.ncywg.co.za.

Scythe
18-06-08, 10:40 PM
Ja as flippen KBY net nie so ver van PTA af was nie !

chriss
19-06-08, 07:03 AM
Go South to Modder Rivier, about 35km from KBY in the direction of CPT on the N1. There is a place called Lillydale, excellent fishing for Largies there. Douglas in the South west direction is not far either to fish the Vaal or Orange Rivier. Or you can go north to Barkley West or Riverton which is closer on the same route. My best advice is to get hold of the local tackle shop guys in Beaconsfield. They know the spots!!

kelly
19-06-08, 08:21 AM
Thank you, have fished lilydale a few times already, awesome spot.
The first time i fished there I was climbing down te path to the river, not sure what to expect, wandering if there were gonna be any fish..... I approached the river, was wading through a shallow pool to get closer to the deep water and a pod of about 30 yellows swam past me, the water was so clear. Anyway, my right leg wouldn't stop shaking for about 10 minutes, had to waddle through the water with most of my weight on the other leg!! Have sight fished for largish trout before, but your normally only casting to 1!!!! Man, what a rush it was. 30 large yellows in clear water about 40cm deep.

Fished there over the weekend , landed some decent SM. WIll try target some largies soon, just gettting my bearings still. Anyway the SM are awesome to fish for. Every time i have been there, the fish have been going mad around 4 PM on the surface, I retired my 5wt Floating line a while back and havent need one until now, I did try dry flies with my intermediete but was a mission, would cast on the weeds with just the leader over the edge :) As you can imagine the drifts are *&%&. Got a new line the other day so will give them a bash ASAP.

Just for interests sake, did really well fishing 2 #16 nymphs slowly in the deeper drifts then with a very slow retrieve once the drift was over. Caught almost all my fish on the retrieve but basically just fast enough to keep in contact with the line, almost all takes were during the pauses, where i get very keen eye on the end of the line. Strike at the slightest movement. As you can see that your loosing contact with the fly I'd give a few short strips then pause again. The flies were a #16 Ptn with tungsten Bead (the dark colour ones) and a plain dark olive nymph also tungsten bead. All but one fish was caught on the PTN. The hatches i keep seeing are dark mayflies, with the odd snot green body one with black/grey wings .

Has been alot of fun, still need someone to fish with tho...