PDA

View Full Version : Mullet in stillwaters

Chris Shelton
21-09-08, 05:24 AM
I've been reading an interesting little book called 'Practical freshwater fish culture' by the late Dr Douglas Hey, and the section on Mullet (Springer)caught my attention. He talks about one species in particular being an excellent adapting fish to stillwaters, namely Mugil cephalus, commonly know as the Flathead Mullet, or Bull-nosed Mullet. These handsome silvery fish with their two distinct dorsal fins, forked tail and broad flat head attain a length of 80cm and a weight in excess of 4kg's, and provide excellent sport on light tackle!

Here's the interesting part. He says "the fact that these fish can successfully adapt to life in fresh water was known to early settlers at the Cape and some farmers who have dams near the sea have regularly stocked them with mullet fry. When all goes well they grow to a good size and are very good to eat."

There are however certain factors that restrict this form of fish culture. Firstly, Springers will not breed in a pond and restocking can only be done by capturing wild fry from the sea or estuarine waters. Secondly, they are exceedingly delicate and the mortality incured in transporting them only a short distance is very heavy. To add to the difficulties, there is the problem of identification. Small fry of other species which are quite unsuited to life in fresh water may be taken in mistake to Mullet fry.

He says that at the time, the use of Mullet in freshwater fish culture in the Cape Province was limited to those people living on the coast who had perfected their skill by extensive experience. However, Mullet are found in many parts of the world and are everywhere much sought after for culture in ponds in coastal regions.

Incidentally, no one should attempt to take Mullet fry alive and to move them to stock a dam without first obtaining a permit to do so from the Department of Cape Nature Conservation.

poppernel
21-09-08, 02:46 PM
I've been reading an interesting little book called 'Practical freshwater fish culture' by the late Dr Douglas Hey, and the section on Mullet (Springer)caught my attention. He talks about one species in particular being an excellent adapting fish to stillwaters, namely Mugil cephalus, commonly know as the Flathead Mullet, or Bull-nosed Mullet. These handsome silvery fish with their two distinct dorsal fins, forked tail and broad flat head attain a length of 80cm and a weight in excess of 4kg's, and provide excellent sport on light tackle!

Here's the interesting part. He says "the fact that these fish can successfully adapt to life in fresh water was known to early settlers at the Cape and some farmers who have dams near the sea have regularly stocked them with mullet fry. When all goes well they grow to a good size and are very good to eat."

There are however certain factors that restrict this form of fish culture. Firstly, Springers will not breed in a pond and restocking can only be done by capturing wild fry from the sea or estuarine waters. Secondly, they are exceedingly delicate and the mortality incured in transporting them only a short distance is very heavy. To add to the difficulties, there is the problem of identification. Small fry of other species which are quite unsuited to life in fresh water may be taken in mistake to Mullet fry.

He says that at the time, the use of Mullet in freshwater fish culture in the Cape Province was limited to those people living on the coast who had perfected their skill by extensive experience. However, Mullet are found in many parts of the world and are everywhere much sought after for culture in ponds in coastal regions.

Incidentally, no one should attempt to take Mullet fry alive and to move them to stock a dam without first obtaining a permit to do so from the Department of Cape Nature Conservation.

HI Chris,

Sometime back on the forum we spoke about these fish in stillwarters. We have a bass water within 15km from P.E. that have had them in for about 15 yrs now, big buggers, got one once that exceeded 6kg. Must have bred as well as they come in sizes, maybe have acclimatised and also become fresh water friendly over time. Think it was Scythe that I invited to come and target these fish when he is in this area. This applies to anyone interested and in this area. Missed Wade when he was down recently, pity, was busy stocking and hunting, SORRY WADE. Garage also wanted to visit, weather was unfortunately adverse, actually critical storms , SORRY GARAGE, Not my fault, welcome anytime to all.

Dave

windknot
21-09-08, 04:13 PM
Chris talking of mullet in still waters, I drove past the vlei opposite Sunset Beach a number of times in the last week and the question that arose in my mind is if anyone has tried to target the species in there. The flats area close to the flying field (southern end) will be less disturbed by boating activity and I remember talks of tons of fish dying in that vlei when it was polluted a year or so ago. HAve you ever given it a shot.

turando101
21-09-08, 04:15 PM
Hi,
A nice fish, that has a relatively low multiplication rate. If you need detail info have a look at www.fishbase.com (a very good link for any species!)
The direct link is:
http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=785&genusname=Mugil&speciesname=cephalus
Click the links at the bottom of that page!
Enjoy!
KarelM

poppernel
21-09-08, 04:44 PM
Chris talking of mullet in still waters, I drove past the vlei opposite Sunset Beach a number of times in the last week and the question that arose in my mind is if anyone has tried to target the species in there. The flats area close to the flying field (southern end) will be less disturbed by boating activity and I remember talks of tons of fish dying in that vlei when it was polluted a year or so ago. HAve you ever given it a shot.

Windknot, not here. LURKERS. REMEMBER. GIILL NETS etc. Now you gonna be '' xxxxxxxxlike me''

TO LATE.

Chris Shelton
21-09-08, 05:02 PM

To be quite honest, I've never fished the vlei.....and I stay less than 5 minutes from it! :o

I'm note sure about the laws of the vlei, but I seem to recall that the no boating zone South off the main vlei is a wildlife sanctuary and apart from the radio-controlled aircraft no other sporting activities are allowed . Can anyone confirm this?

I am also doubtful if the vlei would have recovered much yet. That was quite a wipeout that it experienced a year ago, but once again, I'm speculating.

poppernel
21-09-08, 05:11 PM

Hi,
A nice fish, that has a relatively low multiplication rate. If you need detail info have a look at www.fishbase.com (a very good link for any species!)
The direct link is:
http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=785&genusname=Mugil&speciesname=cephalus
Click the links at the bottom of that page!
Enjoy!
KarelM

You guys are somewhat. Whats wrong here.

Salty Bugger
21-09-08, 07:00 PM
To be quite honest, I've never fished the vlei.....and I stay less than 5 minutes from it! :o

I'm note sure about the laws of the vlei, but I seem to recall that the no boating zone South off the main vlei is a wildlife sanctuary and apart from the radio-controlled aircraft no other sporting activities are allowed . Can anyone confirm this?

I am also doubtful if the vlei would have recovered much yet. That was quite a wipeout that it experienced a year ago, but once again, I'm speculating.

Ja, Chris. No fishing allowed in that area. They have marked certain fishing spots on the vlei itself, but that is where the boats also ride.

Chris Shelton
21-09-08, 07:32 PM
HI Chris,

Sometime back on the forum we spoke about these fish in stillwarters. We have a bass water within 15km from P.E. that have had them in for about 15 yrs now, big buggers, got one once that exceeded 6kg. Must have bred as well as they come in sizes, maybe have acclimatised and also become fresh water friendly over time. Think it was Scythe that I invited to come and target these fish when he is in this area. This applies to anyone interested and in this area. Missed Wade when he was down recently, pity, was busy stocking and hunting, SORRY WADE. Garage also wanted to visit, weather was unfortunately adverse, actually critical storms , SORRY GARAGE, Not my fault, welcome anytime to all.

Dave

Interesting Dave. You say your mullet are actually breeding in the dam? How long lived are these fish? Are the 6kg jobs still from the first introduction 15 years ago? If this is the case, I'd be extremely interested to get my hands on a few.