PDA

View Full Version : Double Taper line for small streams. small problem

Woolybugger
24-10-08, 06:37 PM
Hi guys. as I said in the rod forum, im gonna get myself the classic 2 2/3 wt tomorrow. When i was in america i got myself a pflueger trion and loaded it with Scientific anglers line. I got 2, one for 5wt and one for 3. I have a WF on the 5 and it cast like an absolute dream. thats not the problem. I cast my 4wt DT yesterday on my 5 wt just to try it out. At the end of the cast everytime i would lay the line down, the end of the line would furl up and tangle slightly. Is it just that i must get used to DT line or are my loops too tight or what??? Any ideas? Is DT a good choice for small streams in the cape? i have no choice right now anyways, but do any of you fish DT line??

Any ideas guys??
THanks
Chris

Woolybugger
24-10-08, 06:39 PM
Another thing.... was it maybe because i have a 4/5wt classic 2 and was using 4wt line on it? wil the line work better on the 2/3? I am overlining it by one on purpose...

poppernel
24-10-08, 06:51 PM
Hi guys. as I said in the rod forum, im gonna get myself the classic 2 2/3 wt tomorrow. When i was in america i got myself a pflueger trion and loaded it with Scientific anglers line. I got 2, one for 5wt and one for 3. I have a WF on the 5 and it cast like an absolute dream. thats not the problem. I cast my 4wt DT yesterday on my 5 wt just to try it out. At the end of the cast everytime i would lay the line down, the end of the line would furl up and tangle slightly. Is it just that i must get used to DT line or are my loops too tight or what??? Any ideas? Is DT a good choice for small streams in the cape? i have no choice right now anyways, but do any of you fish DT line??

Any ideas guys??
THanks
Chris

Chris, what do you think of the Pflueger rods? I have 2, 5/6 and 6/7 Summit. They are great rods IMHO, dont sell them in S.A. anymore. Nice action rods.

Dave

poppernel
24-10-08, 06:53 PM
Another thing.... was it maybe because i have a 4/5wt classic 2 and was using 4wt line on it? wil the line work better on the 2/3? I am overlining it by one on purpose...

I go 1 up on weight of lines for better loading, but that is with my style.

Dave

Woolybugger
24-10-08, 06:55 PM
Hi popper

sorry, miscommunication. I have pflueger reels haha. I have one xplorer classic 4/5 and am getting a 2/3 tomorrow ( thanks clive! lol ). never casted pflueger rod....

poppernel
24-10-08, 07:01 PM
Hi popper

sorry, miscommunication. I have pflueger reels haha. I have one xplorer classic 4/5 and am getting a 2/3 tomorrow ( thanks clive! lol ). never casted pflueger rod....

OK!! Sorry, but maybe Mike and the other rod fundi's can comment without hijacking your thread.

Dave

Dukester
24-10-08, 08:16 PM
I go 1 up on weight of lines for better loading, but that is with my style.

Dave

Do the same Dave. But not sure about your style? Saw the hat remember :eek:

poppernel
24-10-08, 08:30 PM
Do the same Dave. But not sure about your style? Saw the hat remember :eek:

The hat Dukester, is part of my image. Like the trout basket of when.;) Its not what is in the basket, but, what could be.:)

So you see, I'm a better mentor than the one who ''STUNTS'' your knowledge.

Dave

Dukester
24-10-08, 09:49 PM
The hat Dukester, is part of my image. Like the trout basket of when.;) Its not what is in the basket, but, what could be.:)

So you see, I'm a better mentor than the one who ''STUNTS'' your knowledge.

Dave

I suppose one could then also assume it's not whats in the hat, but what could be?

poppernel
24-10-08, 09:58 PM
I suppose one could then also assume it's not whats in the hat, but what could be?

You surprise me, thats right, see, some mentors are really good at making one see the light. Good on you, we are getting proud to have you around.

Dave

Dukester
24-10-08, 10:00 PM
You surprise me, thats right, see, some mentors are really good at making one see the light. Good on you, we are getting proud to have you around.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Mention my name, you'll get front row seats. BTW, you can call me The from now on.

poppernel
24-10-08, 10:09 PM
Thanks Dave. Mention my name, you'll get front row seats. BTW, you can call me The from now on.

''The'' hijack my thread, is that what you meant.

Dave

Dukester
24-10-08, 10:11 PM
''The'' hijack my thread, is that what you meant.

Dave

You got it ;)

Gerrit Viljoen
24-10-08, 10:12 PM
Anyone know of a good cat parlour in PTA? :eek: :D

Lekke slaap manne ;) :p

G

Dukester
24-10-08, 10:15 PM
Anyone know of a good cat parlour in PTA? :eek: :D

Lekke slaap manne ;) :p

G

I hear Proes St may have something Gerrit :D

Gerrit Viljoen
24-10-08, 10:17 PM
I hear Proes St may have something Gerrit :D

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr miaaaaaaaaaaaw ;)

poppernel
24-10-08, 10:20 PM
Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr miaaaaaaaaaaaw ;)

En hy gooi hom toe met n' kombers en bel die polisie.:eek:pussy!!

Dave

Dukester
24-10-08, 10:25 PM
Good night Dave. It's been fun. Catch you on the flip side. Time for me to go wet my bed.

KevinE
24-10-08, 11:56 PM
Hi Chris, nothing wrong with a DT, it will perform pretty much the same as a WF for typical stream casting distances. But it sounds like the particular line you are casting with has memory issues. Well either memory or bad line twist. Try working out the twist in the line. Also stretch the line before you cast.

Your #4 DT should cast fine on your 4/5 rod, particularly for longer casts, where it will be loading the rod nicely.

Woolybugger
25-10-08, 10:49 AM
Thanks a lot Kevin E

i got my rod today and have casted with it. I think it is the memory. I will figure it out.

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris, nothing wrong with a DT, it will perform pretty much the same as a WF for typical stream casting distances. But it sounds like the particular line you are casting with has memory issues. Well either memory or bad line twist. Try working out the twist in the line. Also stretch the line before you cast.

Your #4 DT should cast fine on your 4/5 rod, particularly for longer casts, where it will be loading the rod nicely.

poppernel
25-10-08, 10:58 AM
Thanks a lot Kevin E

i got my rod today and have casted with it. I think it is the memory. I will figure it out.

Thanks!
Chris

HI Chris,

You may be spooling your fly line too tight on your reel, which will give it memory. Wind it on looser and see if that helps.

Dave

Woolybugger
25-10-08, 11:33 AM
Thanks! So the memory of a flyline it twisting etc....? So the looser, obviously the less twists. I get it. i will stretch it, remove som backing and then wind it on looser. Guys one more question. Should i be using an albright knot to link fly line and backing? I am atm and it seems slightly bulky....must i varnish it????

Cheers