PDA

View Full Version : Silly Legs

spig
25-01-07, 09:47 AM
I have recently used a pattern that incorporated Silly Legs and worked like a bomb for bass. I now want to tie a similar pattern using them.

What is the best way to tie them in? Let's say I want to tie a wooly bugger with Legs, at which point do I tie them in? I was thinking right at the beginning when you wind the thread along the shank, then add all the other materials around the Legs.

Andrew

Scythe
25-01-07, 10:00 AM
Don't be silly now ...

(couldn't resist)

gkieser
25-01-07, 10:04 AM
yup. That is how I would do it. I have found the difficult bit is when you wrap your body material (eg chenille etc) over it, it can be difficult to get the legs to stay pointed the way you want. Try and get the body material to wrap under the shank when in line with the legs to prevent the body material pushing the legs forward on one side and backwards on the other side.

Yellowfever
25-01-07, 11:19 AM
Depends.

I have patterns that I tie in at the beginning works fine. Others if you do the shape and direction changes and you get silly legs on a hopper, that looks silly.:D

The legs can also get in the way, (when tying of course ;) ).Esp on small or complex patterns.

On something like a rubber leg nymph I like to splay the legs using dubbing fur. If you use thread it pulls the legs close, so u need the spacer.