PDA

View Full Version : Sage XP limited release

srt007
12-01-09, 10:18 AM
I see on a certain site that Sage XP's are available again...

Copied from site:

2009 SAGE XP FLY ROD SALE

Sage's best selling fly rod EVER WAS Discontinued and Closed Out in 2007. The world sold out in only 6 months. During that time we personally sold close to 600 Sage XP's

After 2 years of careful negotiation, Sage has agreed to a special, one time, production run of XP Series Fly Rods, possibly the worlds finest and favorite casting and fishing rod ever.

We have had to share the spotlight with one of the "Big Box" stores on a couple of the standard models, but 7 of the tapers are only available from ***, and we are thrilled to be able to offer these on a "first come" basis.

All rods are new in the tube, with full factory warranties

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 10:36 AM
Yes, I believe that this is going to run in conjunction with Cabelas.

Korrie
12-01-09, 10:46 AM
It is amazing how many people talked about the XP and how good it was.
Sage made a huge fuzz about the new ranges, but some how the XP, had the perfect balance between taper, rod speed etc.
The demand must have been huge if they decided to do a one of sale/production run of it.
Some thing that have been worrying for me, if your old XP breaks, do they replace it with another XP or will you get one of the newer models?
I know that with some other models, you had to take what is available.
Any one knows the answer to this question?

srt007
12-01-09, 10:55 AM
Have no idea how Sage does it, but I sent back a Redington CPS rod a few months ago, got a new CPX in terurn, and they asked me which wt I want, did not have to be the same as the previous one. I suppose if they have spare sections you will receive a spare section, or maybe be lucky to get a new model, but by the sound of things, the newer model might not be as good as the old XP...

Spilogaster
12-01-09, 11:07 AM
i want to know what they replace my DFR with if it gets *shudder* broken one day. Redington brought out a 'Supersport' model last year, but I see from the looks of things it has been discontinued... :(

srt007
12-01-09, 11:17 AM
i want to know what they replace my DFR with if it gets *shudder* broken one day. Redington brought out a 'Supersport' model last year, but I see from the looks of things it has been discontinued... :(

I think either a RS4 or a CPX, depends on what price range the DFR was...

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 11:18 AM
I suppose if they have spare sections you will receive a spare section, or maybe be lucky to get a new model,

Nope, they remake the rod you returned, or at least the section. Sage only really want the ferules of the section you broke, so they can rod the blank for that section and then fit it to the ferules you sent. They will, and can remake any rod they have produced as they have those mandrills and materials available.

Redington is different, Sage only acquired the company recently, so they might not have had the same processes in place, thus might not be able to reproduce the original stick.

but by the sound of things, the newer model might not be as good as the old XP...

Nope, the Z-Axis, which replaces the XP, has to be one of the finest rods ever produced. There is just such a huge cult following for the XP that it is still in demand. Some guides in the States own like 4 or 5 5W XP's for their clients to fish with. Those clients then want to buy an XP…

The limited offer is to run in conjunction with Cabela's, who were and are receiving huge amounts of requests for the XP.

Remember that the 5W 9' XP has been rated by many, as one of the top 5 rods ever produced.

srt007
12-01-09, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info Mike

The z axis are great rods indeed, got a 7wt, nicest rod I have ever cast. If I ever break it I'll send it back and ask for a XP, wonder what they will say :D

smallstreams.co.za
12-01-09, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info Mike

The z axis are great rods indeed, got a 7wt, nicest rod I have ever cast. If I ever break it I'll send it back and ask for a XP, wonder what they will say :D

I think if you as Maria nicely, they'll do it ;) :D

Michael
12-01-09, 12:02 PM
Nope, they remake the rod you returned, or at least the section. Sage only really want the ferules of the section you broke, so they can rod the blank for that section and then fit it to the ferules you sent.

Redington is different, Sage only acquired the company recently, so they might not have had the same processes in place, thus might not be able to reproduce the original stick.

Mike is right...Sage will re-make you a section, if you own an old model. Will not be replaced by a new model, unless they simply cannot produce the older section.

Redington was bought by Sage in 2003, so it's quite some time back. Redington is not made in the States though...so they have to supply you a replacement section (if they still have sections in stock) or if they do not, will give you a newer model.
Sage makes their own blanks, and have their own mandrels and materials of course...so they can make up old sections pretty easily. Redington cannot...they have to have the rod model in stock, or the completed loose sections.

PS: bear in mind that the TCR and the TCX are actually better designed than the XP. If you are an average caster, the TCX will suit you better, as the faster action is more forgiving. The XP requires more skill to cast than the TCX. With the XP you have to slow your casting stroke down a bit. With the TCX, you can get away with some flaws...and still punch out a line.
The XP was a damn fine rod...but the new TCX is definitely better.

Mike

srt007
12-01-09, 12:27 PM
I think if you as Maria nicely, they'll do it ;) :D

After Mike's post I think I'll have to stick to a z axis as all my casting flaws will come out in the XP...:eek:

smallstreams.co.za
12-01-09, 12:42 PM
After Mike's post I think I'll have to stick to a z axis as all my casting flaws will come out in the XP...:eek:

Hehehehehe, no man!!!!!!

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 12:49 PM
Yip, Z-Axis really does cover up those little issues... The XP tells you excactly how bad you really are... TCR post your poor casting status on face book, while a TCX just send out an email...

srt007
12-01-09, 12:49 PM
I don't do to well with slower action rods, I prefer the easier fast action rods :)

Scythe
12-01-09, 01:03 PM
Seen many an XP explode while tugging on SM.

Not suited to that application IMHO ;)

Korrie
12-01-09, 01:30 PM

I have observed many a SA flyfisher with SM's.
They want to winch the fish in (or tugging it as you refer to it) and not let the rod do the work.

IMHO this is
a. because the SMs are so strong and it takes to long to land it.
b. it gives the feeling of fighting a much bigger fish than normal.
c. in some instances just a ego thing. ;)
d. maschoschist, to see how much you can punish yourself by tugging/winching in the fish. :)

Spilogaster
12-01-09, 01:44 PM
I think either a RS4 or a CPX, depends on what price range the DFR was...

they were 495US$ I think.... considerably more than the other Redingtons avail now (the Supersport was also 495 if I remember correctly).

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 01:50 PM

Bull... 5kg SM on my XP, no issues... is the class of fisher...

srt007
12-01-09, 01:53 PM
they were 495US$ I think.... considerably more than the other Redingtons avail now (the Supersport was also 495 if I remember correctly).

Think they will need to give you 2 rods then :)

Spilogaster
12-01-09, 02:13 PM
yeah, that is what I have heard before as well.... Which is a bit unreasonable I think.... Hopefully that day never comes though, or if it does, they have a 500$ rod on the market at that time.

Scythe
12-01-09, 02:25 PM
I have observed many a SA flyfisher with SM's

... is the class of fisher...

I'm rolling my eyes at both of you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have also seen other rods explode on SM, lots of Explorers for example. The 6 competitive fishermen in question ... over different days even different years ... must all have been tugging too hard and of the lower class fisherfolk :rolleyes:

I didn't say I didn't like the XP, I just said I don't think it was ideally suited to SM, specifically ... SM in a river context.

Want me to roll my eyes again ? :)

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 02:47 PM
roll back...

Michael
12-01-09, 03:02 PM
My mate has been fishing an XP in the Vaal for many years, without one breakage. He doesn't try to haul the fish in though...he plays them carefully and quickly. Most guys break the rods as they try to land the fish, or when they "ruk and pluk" on it when a fly gets stuck in a tree/rock/your mate's ear.

I've broken my share of rods...but I can honestly say only twice did I think it was a genuine fault of the rod. The other times it was my fault. Guys are quick to blame the rod when it breaks. They forget that hitting the rod against rocks, a bead-head hitting the rod, any bump or nick can cause weak-spots...which will break sooner or later. And then I've seen some guys WINCH the fish out of the water, or tug like crazy if the fly gets stuck...makes me cringe...just waiting for that "snap".

The rod I have abused the most was a Stealth Magnum (green one, not the magnum plus)...and I can honestly say it's a beaut of a rod. How it didn't break was beyond me. When I sold it it was full of nicks, dings and scratches...but still going strong. And had a very similar action to the XP, in my opinion.

Mike

Andre
12-01-09, 04:01 PM
I'm rolling my eyes at both of you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have also seen other rods explode on SM, lots of Explorers for example. The 6 competitive fishermen in question ... over different days even different years ... must all have been tugging too hard and of the lower class fisherfolk :rolleyes:

I didn't say I didn't like the XP, I just said I don't think it was ideally suited to SM, specifically ... SM in a river context.

Want me to roll my eyes again ? :)

Yup, I have to agree with you here.
i am an original Sage junkie, and even i have to admit that I have yet to find a Sage rod that is ideally suited for yellowfish as the way we fish them in the Vaal and Orange. The XP is certainly not an ideal yellowfish rod. Fishing for yellows on the Vaal or Orange, can hardly be described as very technical, (unless you want to make it technical), and therefore, most of the subtle nouances that make Sage ideal for extremely technical angling, are lost to yellow fish anglers. For indicator fishing, it is an overkill (expense wise), and for CZN'ing, there does not exist a Sage with the perfect action. the 10foot Z-Axis 6wt, will probably be the best in the Sage range for CZN'ing due to it's medium fast action and "tippy" feel, but As yet, i have not tried it for this. I used to fish for yellows with my 10 foot XP 6wt, but gave it up in favour of the Greys rods which are far better suited to this.
Having only fished the 10 foot Z-Axis once, and sitting on a drift boat at that, i can honestly say that it is a far more forgiving rod than the 10 foot XP.
In my opinion, the XP is a great rod, but the Z-Axis is better. The guys who raved about the XP, probably haven't yet tried a Z-Axis. The problem with the XP, is that you need to be very specific with the line you choose for it. Once you have the right line, it is an absolute dream, but almost as technical to cast properly as the TCR.
I don't know if the Z-axis as replaced the XP. they are such remarkably different rods in almost every sence, that it is difficult to believe that the one replaces the other. I am glad that I have them both.
In conclusion, the Z-Axis is an easier rod to cast, , it feels lighter, and has more pulling power.

MaXiMuM
12-01-09, 11:09 PM
To quote Peter Morse

"By the way, I wouldn't swap a single ZAxis for a handful of XP's............'

Although I don't own one, I would love to have a few...

Scythe
12-01-09, 11:25 PM
I highly doubt that with the obvious (or implied) improvements in the technology used in manufacturing the Z-Axis over say the XP, that even 'on paper' the XP would still be a better rod than the zeddy.

I think it's more a case of familiarity/loyalty/love of a specific product or name.

We all know us men folk are resistant to change.

Andre
13-01-09, 09:10 AM
I highly doubt that with the obvious (or implied) improvements in the technology used in manufacturing the Z-Axis over say the XP, that even 'on paper' the XP would still be a better rod than the zeddy.

I think it's more a case of familiarity/loyalty/love of a specific product or name.

We all know us men folk are resistant to change.

Bertu, I think I speak from experience here, perhaps being the only person in SA who owns an XP and Z-Axis, both of the same weight, length etc. I can tell you, the Zeddy is streets ahead of the XP. If paper says otherwise, then the paper is wrong. I will gladly send them both up to you for you to do an objective test, and report back to the forum.
I respect your view, but I promise you, your view will change whan you test them together.

Scythe
13-01-09, 09:19 AM
Which view is this ... that the XP isn't an ideal SM rod ?

I thought we were in agreement on that one ;)

Or that the Z-Axis has to be better than the XP ?

You're still welcome to send them both though, send yourself with ... remember to bring the washing machine :p

Andre
13-01-09, 11:54 AM
Which view is this ... that the XP isn't an ideal SM rod ?

Or that the Z-Axis has to be better than the XP ?

You're still welcome to send them both though, send yourself with ... remember to bring the washing machine :p

Sooooory, I misunderstood your post...
I agree the following:-
The Xp is not an ideal SM yellowfish rod...but the Zeddy may also not be ideal for SM's, although I think it may be better than the XP

The Z-Axis is better than the XP...yes definatly.

The washing machine is serously broken...lots of leaks of late....:D