PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing for carp

Clouser
31-01-07, 03:45 PM
Hi all.Are there any keen carpanglers on here??I have been fishing for carp allot over the past 3 years and have had success on white deaths,carp fritz,wooly buggers and ocasionally on DDD's.What other flies can be used.???

Dirk

dizzy
31-01-07, 06:10 PM
Sean Mills is the man to speak to wrt to this topic.

I know Grant Kieser and Kevin Cox have also had success when fishing for these fish. Maybe chat to one of them.

gkieser
31-01-07, 07:54 PM
Without doubt Sean is the man. Here (http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=6) is a link to an article he wrote about flyfishing for carp.

He also sells instructional PC cd's that cover all aspects of catching carp and that is mostly where I learned to catch them. He is now producing DVD's but I am unsure if he has created a carp one.

My most succesful fly patterns for carp are simple bloodworm patterns. Most of mine incorporate red larva lace tubing or something similar. The best one is a short shank hook, size 8 or 10, with a large heavy bead, and then two tails of the larva lace. Simple and deadly. Cast out to tailing fish or just dead drift it. The Larva lace is translucent and I like the effect it gives in the water. I have also had success with a fly that substitutes the larva lace with a few strands of red marabou, or two strands of fine red chenille. The chenille and marabou add movement but i think the translucency of the larva lace makes it a winner even though it is a bit stiffer.

You can also use the tubing to make very nice looking san juan worms that are much more durable. I've experimented with trying to thread lead down the middle of the tubing but it's just too much of a mission so i fish that one in tandem with a heavier fly to get it down. Copper wire down the middle of the red tubing looks awesome but does not add too much weight.

Another good one is to just wrap lead around a large scud or caddis hook and paint it red.

As you can see all these flies are very very simple and most are heavy to get them down quickly.

On some days I have caught fish suspending size 10/12 dark mayfly nymphs (a yellow hotspot helped on some days) just under the surface, but i would not consider this a tactic to try unless you can see the fish lazing in the sun close to the surface. Just chuck it between them and wait.

p.s - Welcome to the site Clouser. Keep us posted on your fishing exploits.

Clouser
31-01-07, 08:49 PM
Thank you sooo much.I will surely keep u posted on my catches

Dirk

MkhondoR
01-02-07, 12:32 AM
Hi there
I dont have the time to post here often since most of my evenings are spent tying up my favourite flies and in the day I test them but i hope this will help.
I mainly fish the crystal clear waters of Morgenstond Dam in Southern Mpumalanga for carp.
Sightfishing at its best for the big "Golden Ghosts" that swim within its waters and it is adictive and pure adrenaline.
I have had some great fun with these hard fighting powerhouses using bloodworm immitations and Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymph (silly legs variation), Clouser Swimming Nymph and Alrounder Damsel and Dragon Nymphs and when all else fails a Jersy Herd with the abdomen tied with hot orange floss does the trick, all in sizes from #8 - 12.

Hope this helps

Golden Ghosts are game fish too

Oliver

Clouser
01-02-07, 09:54 AM
Hey.Thanks allot for all the help.I appreciate it soooo much.Its good to know that there are people who help one another out.

Dirk

dizzy
01-02-07, 10:11 PM
Found this article which may be useful to you.

Carp Fishing with a fly rod (http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1199712,00.html)

Sean Mills
26-06-07, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys!

I do have a DVD out now on fly fishing for carp. I sell it from my shop or check out www.netbooks.co.za

Also check out my article on flytalk on fly fishing for carp

May the fish be with you!

dpammenter
26-06-07, 05:04 PM
Sean!!!! great to see you here boet! i'm sure there will be many folk who can learn a few things from you as well

cheers
Devlin

chris williams
27-06-07, 12:21 PM
I just caught a couple of about 5k's each at my dam over the road this morning. poor bggers were basking in the sun in the shallows affter our snow last night - had to really stalk - scared off about 3 or 4 before got these guys - v long leader and unweighted size 10 GRHE,,,,son't know who got more of a fright me or the fish sunbathing in this weather (approx 2 deg C at 7.30 am when I got them) - sun rays just hitting the dam warming the shallows which were about 9 deg C

wernerm
27-06-07, 12:46 PM
I just caught a couple of about 5k's each at my dam over the road this morning. poor bggers were basking in the sun in the shallows affter our snow last night - had to really stalk - scared off about 3 or 4 before got these guys - v long leader and unweighted size 10 GRHE,,,,son't know who got more of a fright me or the fish sunbathing in this weather (approx 2 deg C at 7.30 am when I got them) - sun rays just hitting the dam warming the shallows which were about 9 deg C

Very nice for a quick mornings fishing. Well done Chris

Chris Shelton
27-06-07, 03:12 PM
very nice Chris, well done! I was just starting to get a bit worried about you actually.......you were kinda conspicuous by your absence this morning

frikb
27-06-07, 03:47 PM

Well done Chris. You must have been freezing your butt off. Are you referring to the dam at the school?

chris williams
28-06-07, 11:31 AM
Hi guys, yes at the school - I went there this morning again and checked them out, but without a rod, I was trying to go for a run - same fish, same place, until about 8 a.m. they sunk back to the depths. Will give them another stealthy going-over tomorrow morning early hopefully with similar success

I had overseas visitors all yesterday so was out hence my silence which must have been a relief to you all

Cheers!:)