PDA

View Full Version : 80WT, medium action flyrod with antique reel...

clarias
01-04-09, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys,

just wanted to show you a pic of this very nice old flyrod (must have been built for BIG SALMON- which type? that's the question!!!:p)

I get good distance with 6 ounce dumbell eye charlies- about 100metres or so...my 'stokarmpies' battle a bit with the double haul cast so I use a shooting head: about 5m of 1mm mono, with 600m of 18kg mono backing...

Reel: beautiful genuine wood build, ca. 1730AD., built for one of the emperors of the Wild Coast.

Effective drag provided by (depending on the size of the fish) cable ties, skin of the hand, or leather pad. All drag parts can be easily replaced/regrown.

Overwinds while in rod stand prevented by a patented system using an elastic band...

So far has caught me my biggest fish, a 1.8m Spotted Gully Shark (my biggest fish yet), 2 small dusky sharks, 2 50cm kob, 1 blue stingray, and a couple of sandsharks and barbel! All fish were released except one dusky that swallowed the hooks and suffered bad damage to the stomach- provided excellent fish fingers for the better part of the year!

Enjoy April 1, 2009!

poppernel
01-04-09, 07:19 PM
Nice one Clarias, was wondering if someone would do a April 1 one!!:D:cool:

DAVE

clarias
02-04-09, 10:09 AM
I get a lot of strange looks from the locals when I use this reel on the eatern Cape beaches...