PDA

View Full Version : TFO Professional 9' 5wt vs Orvis Clearwater II 9' 5wt

Thrilla_Vanilla
09-04-09, 11:57 PM
These 2 rods are under the R2K mark in South Africa. I've fished the TFO Pro but not the Orvis. I want one of these rods as a 5wt backup. Both seem to have good ratings but I need to choose. Any suggestions? :)

core fly
10-04-09, 08:31 AM
I think it all depends what line you have/or are buying.I found the tfo is fantastic with the teeny lines which seem to be made for them.It however loses some of its feel when loaded with other brand lines.I think i casted it with rio line which did not have the feel and castibilty of the teeny on the tfo.

markdej
10-04-09, 10:09 AM
I think the ultimate question to answer, is which rod suits your casting style best? After all thats what its for...

Thrilla_Vanilla
10-04-09, 11:45 AM
I think the ultimate question to answer, is which rod suits your casting style best? After all thats what its for...

Thanks, understandible and I totally agree that it would depend on one's casting style and ability. Problem in SA is that it is difficult to find a tackle shop with both of these rods in stock to try before you buy. The one rod is in Jhb while the other is in Dullies. If I had the money I'd get another TFO Axiom as my backup, but I would think that this would be an expensive backup rod.

1in10
10-04-09, 03:56 PM
These 2 rods are under the R2K mark in South Africa. I've fished the TFO Pro but not the Orvis. I want one of these rods as a 5wt backup. Both seem to have good ratings but I need to choose. Any suggestions? :)

I understand that both rods are pretty good quality. I have had Orvis rods repaired with minor fuss over the last 15 years. You should perhaps also check what type of backup is provided.

Andre
10-04-09, 10:19 PM

Don't you mean "which rod suits your fishing style better?" Too many people base a rod choice purely on its casting prowess, and besides, how do you rate a rod against your casting styl......? Can one not buy a rod based on the suitability to the desired application, and then learn to cast it proprly.
There is no such thing as "a rod suited to your casting style" All rods have a loading characteristic, which will cast well when you use it properly in the cast, so you should find the right rod for the application, and if you need to cast it a mile, simple just practice. A good caster will adapt to the characteristic of the rod. If you are not a good caster, get a lesson.
When choosing a back up rod, you are probably looking for an "all rounder", and any number of budget brands will suit this purpose. They are all good, and will all do the job, so look for a dealer that can offer you some sort of backup, and buy from him. The brand is unimportant.

Rendier
11-04-09, 12:56 PM
Don't you mean "which rod suits your fishing style better?" Too many people base a rod choice purely on its casting prowess, and besides, how do you rate a rod against your casting styl......? Can one not buy a rod based on the suitability to the desired application, and then learn to cast it proprly.
There is no such thing as "a rod suited to your casting style" All rods have a loading characteristic, which will cast well when you use it properly in the cast, so you should find the right rod for the application, and if you need to cast it a mile, simple just practice. A good caster will adapt to the characteristic of the rod. If you are not a good caster, get a lesson.
When choosing a back up rod, you are probably looking for an "all rounder", and any number of budget brands will suit this purpose. They are all good, and will all do the job, so look for a dealer that can offer you some sort of backup, and buy from him. The brand is unimportant.

Good point Andre. I was casting with a TFO TiCR & a TCR yeasterday and it amazing how much they differ. The TFO is fast compared to the TCR. I had to adjust my casting to cast the TFO. Deewy took the rod and m ade a few perfect cast with it. Yes, it suits his style better, but that does not mean that I will not be able to use it.

markdej
11-04-09, 06:19 PM

No i dont. Hence my statement. Without getting bogged down in semantics surely rod weight and length are the primary aspects of concern from a stylystic standpoint? Granted casting style can be adapted to suit near any rod, but if you are buying a backup you want a seamless transition not a waterside learning curb. I say this based on my own experience, i have a 4wt that i hate using because it is not comfortable for me. I can cast proficiently with it but its hardly grand. Whereas i replaced it with a rod i find to be a pleasure, yet though my fishing style has not changed i can safely say that the casting characteristic has. Granted i do not claim to have the degree of casting prowess that others may, but i do know what i like and what i enjoy. As i said earlier ultimately a fly rod is a purpose designed tool, and that purpose is casting a fly line.

To the actual question at hand, i can tell you the prof series in a #3 is a lovely stick and it suits my fishing and casting style wonderfully ;) . Cant speak to the #5 or the orvis though... Hope someone on hear has some factual information to impart in this regard though! Goodluck!

Thrilla_Vanilla
11-04-09, 08:30 PM
I went out today and got the TFO Pro, I liked the feel in the shop, although I wish I could have felt and casted the Orvis side by side. Casted the TFO on the grass at home and am pleased with the action and feel. Can't wait to take it on the water though :D

Andre
11-04-09, 10:00 PM
No i dont. Hence my statement. Without getting bogged down in semantics surely rod weight and length are the primary aspects of concern from a stylystic standpoint? Granted casting style can be adapted to suit near any rod, but if you are buying a backup you want a seamless transition not a waterside learning curb. I say this based on my own experience, i have a 4wt that i hate using because it is not comfortable for me. I can cast proficiently with it but its hardly grand. Whereas i replaced it with a rod i find to be a pleasure, yet though my fishing style has not changed i can safely say that the casting characteristic has. Granted i do not claim to have the degree of casting prowess that others may, but i do know what i like and what i enjoy. As i said earlier ultimately a fly rod is a purpose designed tool, and that purpose is casting a fly line.

To the actual question at hand, i can tell you the prof series in a #3 is a lovely stick and it suits my fishing and casting style wonderfully ;) . Cant speak to the #5 or the orvis though... Hope someone on hear has some factual information to impart in this regard though! Goodluck!

Ok, so how you going to evaluate the rod based on the cast? what are you looking for? is it the long cast, the short cast, the best presented cast, or its ability to make the most technical cast, good cast with the wind, against the wind, good casting multiple flies, good with long leader and short leader. heavy flies...etc etc....

markdej
11-04-09, 10:13 PM
Ok, so how you going to evaluate the rod based on the cast? what are you looking for? is it the long cast, the short cast, the best presented cast, or its ability to make the most technical cast, good cast with the wind, against the wind, good casting multiple flies, good with long leader and short leader. heavy flies...etc etc....

Dont be obtuse man ;) i am refering to the taper of the rod and its effective transfer of energy to the line and how that feels to the individual. Can you honestly tell me you have never found one rod more comfortable to use than another? I think you may have completely misunderstood me... To try answer your question, i would say it would depend on the primary intended use. A small stream stick should roll cast nicely for me. But how it hauls is of little to no concern to me. Were as a rod for surf application should be able to haul out a weighty rig with relative ease. Presentation is am inherant factor but good line controal does go a long way towards that. I hope you see where i am going with this... Granted i am assuming that when you buy a rod you know what you intend to do with it. But no matter im happy, youre happy and a rod has been bought. Fantastic! I hope she treats you well Thrilla.

rols
11-04-09, 11:21 PM
phew, so many if's and buts. I will admit that I'm not a technical person at all, I don't give a rats ar$e about how a fly line is made and what the composite is etc. etc. I fished with a friend a while ago and he's a total Virgin, and his son bought him a greys 3/4 wt. He fished it for the first time and not knowing what a rod must do or not do was refreshing. So, on this excercise, is where I'm coming in.
Slow, Medium, Fast....If thats, what you as as a caster want?. How far the rod or whatever else it does.....is up to you...
I took the guys rod and presented a perfect fly, and I was fishing a 6'6' 2 wt and my next cast was where I wanted it. You might take a cast or three to find out the rod is quick or whatever. It's not as if your'e going to a steak braai with an egg lifter:)

markdej
12-04-09, 08:07 AM
phew, so many if's and buts. I will admit that I'm not a technical person at all, I don't give a rats ar$e about how a fly line is made and what the composite is etc. etc. I fished with a friend a while ago and he's a total Virgin, and his son bought him a greys 3/4 wt. He fished it for the first time and not knowing what a rod must do or not do was refreshing. So, on this excercise, is where I'm coming in.
Slow, Medium, Fast....If thats, what you as as a caster want?. How far the rod or whatever else it does.....is up to you...
I took the guys rod and presented a perfect fly, and I was fishing a 6'6' 2 wt and my next cast was where I wanted it. You might take a cast or three to find out the rod is quick or whatever. It's not as if your'e going to a steak braai with an egg lifter:)

Nicely and succinctly put! If it feels good it feels good :D
I had the same experience with a mates 4/5 explorer classic 1... He asked to see how far i can cast it, and off the bat i could cast a full line!(yes to the backing) i was blown away! Im just trying to say do what pleases you most and whatever blows your hair back, and if possible give a rod a try before you buy.

Thrilla_Vanilla
14-04-09, 09:42 AM
Can't remember where I posted that I had fished with a mates TFO Pro about last year some time. So yes, feeling a rod in a shop without casting it would be a bit silly. You can't properly decide on a rod without casting it 1st. My Axiom is much faster than the Pro but after a few attempts I can adjust to the rods action. It's like driving another car?

Scythe
14-04-09, 11:47 PM
I've stopped having an online opinion about rods AND rod brands.

To me it's simple, pick up the rod, hold it in your hands, wave it around like a madman ... if you don't get throbbing wood from it or giggle like a giddy schoolgirl ... put down the rod and try the next one.

Andre
15-04-09, 09:31 AM
I've stopped having an online opinion about rods AND rod brands.

To me it's simple, pick up the rod, hold it in your hands, wave it around like a madman ... if you don't get throbbing wood from it or giggle like a giddy schoolgirl ... put down the rod and try the next one.

Yep, I think this is a good approach. pity though.
From now on, anyone who wants advice on how to evaluate a rod, ask the "parking lot rod evaluation consultants", who will be sure to get you into your ideal stick in under five minutes flat.......

rols
15-04-09, 09:28 PM
I think you cast the line in.......that's what the rods for, then you fish the fly you've cast in? That's your fishing style. Coming from the car park;), Thrilla is'nt buying a rod as a newby, and that was why the posts were about what HE wants out of a rod. By now we presume he knows about the feel of a rod and not being able to test them both at the same time, should not really be too much of a hinderance in the choice making. He should be able to get the woody from the feel of the rod, whereas a newby will get a woody from just being in the shop.

markdej
15-04-09, 10:32 PM
I think you cast the line in.......that's what the rods for, then you fish the fly you've cast in? That's your fishing style. Coming from the car park;), Thrilla is'nt buying a rod as a newby, and that was why the posts were about what HE wants out of a rod. By now we presume he knows about the feel of a rod and not being able to test them both at the same time, should not really be too much of a hinderance in the choice making. He should be able to get the woody from the feel of the rod, whereas a newby will get a woody from just being in the shop.

Thats the ticket! I agree, exposure to what you want is paramount! Sadly very few tacke outlets in this part of the world have test water :(

chris williams
16-04-09, 05:08 AM
I've offered our school dams as a 'test drive' venue for several of the local fly shops - but none has taken me up on this. I hasten to add, this would be 'gratis' as a flyfishing friendship gesture - no hidden agenda - maybe the guys are scared of their product?!:eek::D