PDA

View Full Version : Who is Up for some T17 Di10

damage
21-06-09, 10:09 AM
Guys
Im looking into buying a 500ft spool of T17 its just a bit long and expensive for me to use on my own R3000+

This stuff is the business for any off shore fishing where you need to get the line down quick in the western cape offshore snoek ,yellowtail ,geelbek and Kob

its also good for dredging in moz

Who would like to share in the spool
a 30 ft length will cost R190 vs 350+ if you purchased it separately
you can buy the exact length you need
I find with the 30ft pieces you waste the 1-2 m you cut off to balance your Rig

We would need 8+ guys to make this worthwhile

who is keen ??

/d

nkula_nkula
21-06-09, 10:17 AM
I'm keen,

I'll take one "section" please...

Kevin James
21-06-09, 12:36 PM
Damage mate,

The T14 is a cheaper alternative to the newer product I have found.

Mate, go the older product, count a few seconds longer in the drift to get the flies down and enjoy the scenery <wink>

Honestly, there is very little difference between the two I promise!

Anyhoo......each to their own!
All good mate.

Rendier
21-06-09, 05:05 PM
Put me down for at least one section

swsmith
21-06-09, 06:04 PM
im in aswell...

damage
21-06-09, 10:25 PM
Damage mate,

The T14 is a cheaper alternative to the newer product I have found.

Mate, go the older product, count a few seconds longer in the drift to get the flies down and enjoy the scenery <wink>

Honestly, there is very little difference between the two I promise!

Anyhoo......each to their own!
All good mate.

Thanks i will look into the costings of the t14
I seem to recall them being the same price
but lets see what is the price difference your side ??
can you guys get the "old fashioned " lead core lines out your way still ??
they seem to be extinct this side of the borewors channel

cheers
/d

Kevin James
22-06-09, 01:07 AM
I think the leadcore lines have done the Houdini trick and vanished.

Something to do with lead in the core and being environmentally unfriendly.
I honestly wish we could still get some of the Cortland leadlines.

One of the shortcomings of the T14 /T17 range is the bloody core has a breaking strain of 30 pounds only. They say 35, but in reality I have tested them to destruction and it's about 30 pounds if you're lucky.

I lost a huge mako a few seasons back fishing IGFA 10kg and the head snapped. Whether the fish landed on the line earlier in the battle and weakened it I'll never know, but I'm pretty wary of this now!

Mate, here in Aussie nothing is cheap!
These blokes here charge like wounded buffalo - I generally get all my stuff from the States. Even with exchange rates and freight, stuff still works out cheaper. Even if you wanted to try support your local store, they rip the ring right out of the chicken, forcing you to reasses and look elsewhere.

Anyhoo....good luck mate with the pricing. Hope you get a bargain.

Conrad Botes
22-06-09, 08:37 AM
I'll also buy some of that T17 please. What running lines do you suggest? Dogtooth, what running lines do you use in Oz? I read in the latest Fly Fishing in Salt Water magasine that mono can be used as running lines (such as Suffix Elite). Can be cast further, and sinks quicker. Problem is that they tangle easily.

honda2
22-06-09, 09:10 AM
Hi D,

I would also be in for 1 section.

Regards,
Cornelis

Kevin James
22-06-09, 09:14 AM
Conrad, there are a few alternatives to use with regards to running lines mate.

It depends on where you are fishing, and if it is very windy. Windy conditions can make line management a real pain in the arse. Also, strong currents can play havoc with thicker running lines - these are questions worth asking first up.

In my scenario, there are a few options that I like to fish.

Mono is one option, but I have found that the mono is difficult to grab hold of when stripping in and especially when trying to set hooks on speedy fish. Another alternative is braid, but again this does pose some risk in cut hands and fingers.

The upside to both of these running lines is that the diameter is really thin, and with the heads you can cast from 'Toti to Mozambique with one double haul <grin>
Definitely helps distance wise.

I have played around with making my own running lines over the years and have found 80lb braid inserted up the length of 100 feet of thin dacron to be highly effective. I whip finish loops into either end. Works well and is easy to hang onto when stripping. Fishing deep structure in really gnarly country also helps to turn the fish when you can really stick it to the fish and hang on like mad.

Of course there are the normal running lines available too, but one thing to remember is the trade off between distance and sink rate in the thicker running lines versus the mono. Rio make a great product as do Scientific Angler (SA) and I have used these over the years without any drama's. I always like the heavier 'core strength' of Rio vs SA or is it the other way around. Just can't remember off the top of my head.

Another thing to take into consideration is the climate you'll be fishing in.
Hot weather makes running lines like noodles and is a bit hard to control, but using dacron, it can be 45 degrees and you'll not have to worry about a big bunch of tangled running line destroying your first and possibly second stripping guide as a fish of epic proportions heads for the horizon. (Ask me.......) I don't like Amnesia, but that is my personal preference. Mates use it, and they do well -

Mate, to be totally honest, try some of the different products around.

Mono is great for freshwater or small salt water fish.
Commercial running lines are the go for saltwater as are made ones using dacron or braided mono with gelspun up the middle.

Hope this helps.

Conrad Botes
22-06-09, 11:37 AM
Hi Dogtooth

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated.

I use a variety of "ready made" lines like Airflow depthfinder and Rio leviathan. They work allright under normal conditions, but not on the Aghulas Banks where the current is extremely strong and you have a minute max to get your line down before drag sets in. So obviously something whith a very thin diameter will work best under these conditions. (being able to cast further upcurrent allowing for a longer sink with less running line drag) The water temperature is normally between 18 and 22 degrees - not too hot, so I'm tempted to give mono a go. Have never come across Amnesia. Who makes it?

I will also try your braid inserted up the dracon. Not sure how to insert such a long piece of braid up dracon? Is the dracon the running line with 80lb braid at the ends or inserted all the way?:confused:

Thanks again for the reply.

Conrad

Conrad Botes
22-06-09, 11:45 AM
This is what Damage posted elsewhere on the forum:

More expensive but Creates a more wear resistant line specifically for tuna on an igfa (20 lb ) tippet where your line will be going through the guides multiple times especially near the end of the fight

take 40 meters 180lb Dacron hollow one not the one with core fibers
10 m t14
cut a 12m piece of Dacron
slide the Dacron over the t14 and weave a loop in the Dacron with a splice needle both Sides I suggest 10 pass throughs then pull the tag end into the Dacron core
create the running line by making the same loops on the ends of the remaining Dacron

Kevin James
22-06-09, 12:43 PM
Damage is good with his advice in this last post!

He has obviously gone through some of the problems and knows what he is talking about.

I will also try your braid inserted up the dracon. Not sure how to insert such a long piece of braid up dracon? Is the dracon the running line with 80lb braid at the ends or inserted all the way?

Mate, for this, the best way I have found to get the results is to get a piece of trace wire and fold in half. Secure the end of the braid to one side and run/feed up the inside. Easy as mate.

Google Amnesia........sure you'll find the results.

FishWhisperer
22-06-09, 08:43 PM
Dents, how long until you take delivery. Im in for one and ive got a buddy who will take a few too depending on when he can get it. He's of to Bassas de India in a month...

damage
23-06-09, 09:34 PM
maddy i dont know what the availabilty is like yet im still waiting on that

I will let you know exact time lines when i have them

It looks like we have almost enough guys for us to go ahead

/d

Conrad Botes
24-06-09, 07:40 AM
Denton

Where do you get hold of 180lb hollow Dracon?

Have you tried to use Amnesia as a running line? Does anydody know whether Amnesia is available locally?

damage
24-06-09, 08:03 AM
Denton

Have you tried to use Amnesia as a running line? Does anydody know whether Amnesia is available locally?

Hi Conrad
I cant remember !!!:D

Seriously
Pre Dogtooths post I had never heard of it.
chances are slim that someone has stock in sa but mabee phillip or craig could look at getting some in

/d

Kevin James
24-06-09, 09:55 AM
Reliable sources say Amnesia is no longer available......

Oh dear, my age is definitely starting to show as to when we first started using the stuff. Still have a few spools of the stuff here after a few (dog) years <grin>.

MarkK
24-06-09, 11:24 AM
I still have some 6 and 9kg Amnesia lying around somewhere, but probably a bit light for what you have in mind. I used it as hooklength material for surf fishing in the UK. Ultima has something called "Memory X" which is very similar to Amnesia, except it's not available in red or black like Amnesia was. I've seen some Ultima locally.

Korrie
24-06-09, 11:45 AM
a couple of years ago, I made up a leadcore shooting head with thick "Snoek mono line" as the running line. never really used it much, but it worked well in the testing phase. never really tangled etc.
A friend of mine inserted thick mono into some mono braid and used that as the running line, also worked well and did not tangle. The braided mono did make a bit of a noise as it went thru the guides.

damage
01-07-09, 03:42 PM
Ok gents the line will be here on Friday

who has what weight rods ??

/d

Rendier
01-07-09, 03:57 PM
13wt and maybe 1 for my 10wt

swsmith
01-07-09, 06:17 PM
9w and 12w

Conrad Botes
02-07-09, 08:22 AM
9w and 12w

Same here.

damage
02-07-09, 09:54 AM
I suggest we get together with the rods and work out how long a piece you need and look at the running line options
this will be better than every one getting a 30 ft piece and cutting (wasting) it to size

/d

swsmith
02-07-09, 10:46 AM
cool...let me know when and where.

HolyGT
02-07-09, 10:52 AM
Howzit Denton, can you do a straight pull line break strenght on the T17 for interest sake ? Looped to a Bogagrip should be OK for comparison to the T14?

I have found a source for 2 x 500ft leadcore LC13 if anyone is interested. Should go for about R700 per spool. PM me.

Rendier
02-07-09, 10:52 AM
same here.

Conrad Botes
02-07-09, 11:07 AM
I suggest we get together with the rods and work out how long a piece you need and look at the running line options
this will be better than every one getting a 30 ft piece and cutting (wasting) it to size

/d

Saturday afternoon is good for me.

damage
06-07-09, 10:00 AM
sorry guys hectic week last week didnt get a chance to check if te line is here ill keep you posted

Arno I will do the pull test for you
the specs say its the same as t14 30-35 pounds test

/d

honda2
06-07-09, 11:10 AM
Hi Damage,

I have 9 weight - happy to go along with what ever you decide - using this is new for me - so I am happy to go along with the experts.

Regards,
Cornelis

damage
08-07-09, 07:51 AM
Hi Damage,

I have 9 weight - happy to go along with what ever you decide - using this is new for me - so I am happy to go along with the experts.

Regards,
Cornelis

honda its not about being an expert it how your particular rod feels with the line
its not often you get the chance to exactly match your line to your rod (and feeling) to the line

damage
08-07-09, 07:53 AM
Gents the wait is over the line has arrived
lets get together and do this
Im thinking Sat morning Milnerton side

/d

Rendier
08-07-09, 08:13 AM
Can't do saturday...kiddies birthday party...will hook up with you some time

Conrad Botes
08-07-09, 12:23 PM
Gents the wait is over the line has arrived
lets get together and do this
Im thinking Sat morning Milnerton side

/d

Suits me. Craig's place?

FishWhisperer
08-07-09, 06:27 PM
Hey Dents,
I cant do this weekend but Im still keen. Why dont we organize a fish and then we can do things then?
Ill need for my 12# and 9#, and depending on the price a spare as well.

Guys were talking about running lines for these heads- I don't know if it has been mentioned, but if its core strength is only 35lbs then why not use an old 5# DI5 or 7 trout line as your running line?

swsmith
09-07-09, 12:43 PM
i could possibly squeeze a gap for this w-end......was also thinking along the lines of maddys idea?maybe the experts :p could clarify if thius would work????

damage
10-07-09, 07:59 AM
lets do 10 at craigs place Saturday

Steven it can be done easily but the sink rate of the running line is important

i just don't have any fresh water sinkers

ill bring a few rods and running lines

bring your rods

/d

swsmith
10-07-09, 04:36 PM
guys i cant make 2m.sumthing has come up.sorry...

swsmith
14-07-09, 04:30 PM
quick question,got my section for the 9w today.if i want to connect that to an old full sinker.whats the best join?braided loop?

Conrad Botes
14-07-09, 05:14 PM
Yo Stephen

Don't connect to old sinker. Gonna be a beech to cast. I'm using 80lb hollow dracron as running line. Ask Denton what he thinks, seems to have a lot of experience in building lines. You want a line that casts far, thin running line so it sinks like a brick.

damage
14-07-09, 05:51 PM
If you going to use a old sinker as a running line that will work but you need to factor in the weight of the running line into your head length calc especially for a light rod like a 9wt

braided loops work but they "hinge"

I would thread 30 cm braid or dacron on one of the lines
then lay the two lines next to each other for 15 cm whip them together in three or five places the pull the braid over the entire join and whip it on both ends

The pros of dacron( or mono) : skinny sinks well
cons needs to be well managed to avoid tangles

Pros of sinking line /bought running line : well behaved
Cons expensive ,weak and thick i.e doesn't sink well

Nkula I got your message but I cannot reply please pm me your number or email addy

/d

petercoetzee
02-12-09, 09:05 AM
is this T17 still around? ill take a few sections...

nkula_nkula
02-12-09, 10:02 AM
is this T17 still around? ill take a few sections...

Call Craig at StreamX, there might still be sections up for offer...

I have one, still need to build up my line.....

petercoetzee
02-12-09, 10:14 AM
you supposed to be celebrating, not browsing flytalk :p

PezVela
02-12-09, 11:09 AM
Number Designation Standard Weight Margin For Error
1-Weight 60 54-66
2-Weight 80 74-86
3-Weight 100 94-106
4-Weight 120 114-126
5-Weight 140 134-146
6-Weight 160 152-168
7-Weight 185 177-193
8-Weight 210 202-218
9-Weight 240 230-250
10-Weight 280 270-290
11-Weight 330 318-342
12-Weight 380 368-392
13-Weight 450
14-Weight 500
15-Weight 550

1 gram is 15 grains

take your rod size eg 13 weight , you need 450 grains of T17 = 1 FT IS 17 GRAINS , total length of line needed for your 13weight is 450/17 = 26.47ft head.

I have a 500meter spool of T-14 floating around somewhere , i am sure I can spare a foot or two.

karl

petercoetzee
02-12-09, 11:25 AM
thanks karl, thats helpful