PDA

View Full Version : Fly Swap - Damsel - Fly Talk/Dr. Slick Sept./Oct. Swap

fish
05-08-09, 10:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all who participated in the first swap, your flies are in the post and there is quite a few variations on the standard Woolly Bugger which you can try out.

As mentioned this fly swap will be a bit different. I did a bit of hunting for damsel nymphs in our bottom dam and quickly caught some nice specimens, explaining why it is such a deadly pattern in our waters.

The challenge for this fly swap is to choose one of the damsel nymphs in the pictures and create your own, either by adapting current available patterns or your unique pattern. We will look at how closely your damsel imitate the one in the picture you have chosen as well as factors like ease of tying, neatness and inventiveness. I'll see if I can post a subsurface video clip of a swimming damsel, just waiting for better weather.

Gary from Stealth came on board and sponsored a Dr. Slick Ceramic bobbin valued in the region of R 150.00 for the winner of each fly swap. We will post all the flies on the forum for all to see. The flies will be judged by MC, myself and Mark Krige. The winner then needs to do a step by step sequence with pictures on the forum. We will use the following criteria when we judge the flies.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1732/damseldark.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/damseldark.jpg/)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5238/damselolive.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/damselolive.jpg/)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7549/damsels013.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/i/damsels013.jpg/)

Rules

- Deadline for entries - 20 August 2009.
- Deadline to post flies – 5 September 2009, this is when we should have your flies.
- Supply a self addressed padded envelope with your postage details when you send your flies, it should be in the region of R 30.00 including postage to us and the return postage. Ensure they put suffiecient stamps on the return envelope.
- Put your flies in a sturdy, crush proof container, like an empty pill container, you will receive this container back with all the other participants' flies.
- Supply your name, forum name and a contact number.
- Send the tracking number of your parcel to flytalk@telkomsa.net – very important!
- Please indicate which damsel you imitate by 1, 2 or 3

Send the flies to:

Fly Talk
Somerset Mall Post Office Counter

Let the creative juices flow and start tying. Please list your name below to join the fly swap.

Cheers,

Philip

schloshd1
05-08-09, 10:37 AM
this sounds really intersesting, I'm in

Shamwari
05-08-09, 11:03 AM
I am in..

Please forgive my ignorance...howmany must I post, one for each participant?

Never participated before...

Cheers

fish
05-08-09, 11:06 AM
Hi Shamwari,

That's correct and also on for the swap meister, in other words if there is 10 participants you have to post 10 flies (not one for yourself).

Swappers List

- Schloshd1
- Shamwari

Thanks,

Philip

Johan Janse van Rensburg
05-08-09, 12:24 PM
Cool I'm in...

Philip uhm maybe a dum question what was the sizes of the damsels roughly?

Shamwari
05-08-09, 12:58 PM
Cool I'm in...

Philip uhm maybe a dum question what was the sizes of the damsels roughly?

Easy silly...22

HE HE HE:D

Buf Aloe
05-08-09, 01:16 PM
Easy silly...22

HE HE HE:D

I refuse point blank to tie that big..

Shamwari
05-08-09, 01:18 PM
he he he

Your midge jaws on your vice rusted through?

Ok Ok, enough now...back to the point of the thread please

LOL

fish
05-08-09, 02:54 PM
Hi Johan,

They were in the region of 3.5cm

Cheers

Benja
05-08-09, 03:55 PM
I'm in looking forward to some experimentation and testing :)

OllieOwen
05-08-09, 04:01 PM
I'm also in.

FlyFanatic
05-08-09, 04:03 PM
Ok im in!! Sounds like a "lekker" flyswap!! :D

fish
05-08-09, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the updated list, are you in Mr. Buf Aloe?

Swappers List

- Schloshd1
- Shamwari
- Johan van Rensburg
- Benja
- Ollie Owen
- FlyFanatic

Buf Aloe
05-08-09, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the updated list, are you in Mr. Buf Aloe?

Swappers List

- Schloshd1
- Shamwari
- Johan van Rensburg
- Benja
- Ollie Owen
- FlyFanatic
- Buf Aloe

Stop nagging Fishy. I'll give it a bash. Just keep the numbers down because thats going to take me a month to tie.

Shamwari
05-08-09, 05:47 PM
Stop nagging Fishy. I'll give it a bash. Just keep the numbers down because thats going to take me a month to tie.
Ja.....eish.....imagine having to tie 27 Damsels.....yoh yoy yoh

Johan Janse van Rensburg
05-08-09, 05:54 PM
Sham 22 don't tempt me! ;-)

fish
05-08-09, 06:50 PM

Dis hoe 'n Afrika Buffel moet bulk:D Time to get a J Vice and make your tying a breeze.

TERENCE
05-08-09, 07:14 PM
Hi phillip.long time no see.i will give it a bash so i am in.

FishWhisperer
05-08-09, 07:51 PM
Would love to do this swap but time is a major issue at the mo. Can I be a 'to be confirmed'?

rols
05-08-09, 08:02 PM
sh!t i said i wasn't going to do swaps for a good while but what the hell.....i need a ceramic bobbin from Gary:p

Shamwari
06-08-09, 05:45 AM
Sham 22 don't tempt me! ;-)

Come on man....put your magnifying goggles on and take on a challenge boet....:D:eek:

fish
06-08-09, 06:51 AM
Here is the updated list:

Swappers List

1. Schloshd1
2. Shamwari
3. Johan van Rensburg
4. Benja
5. Ollie Owen
6. FlyFanatic
7. Buf Aloe
8. Terence
9. Rols
10.Fishwhisperer(to be confirmed)

Buf Aloe
06-08-09, 08:59 AM
Dis hoe 'n Afrika Buffel moet bulk:D Time to get a J Vice and make your tying a breeze.

You devious little man,

Herman Jooste
06-08-09, 09:19 PM
Hmmmmm,

Am I correct in that the overall length of the natural is 3.5cm ???

If so that is one looong , skraaaal gogga.

Ahhhh what the hell, I'm in.:D

fish
07-08-09, 10:22 AM
Cool Herman, Johan Knoetze also joined last night at the fly tying we had here at Eikendal, here is the updated list:

Swappers List

1. Schloshd1
2. Shamwari
3. Johan van Rensburg
4. Benja
5. Ollie Owen
6. FlyFanatic
7. Buf Aloe
8. Terence
9. Rols
10. Fishwhisperer(to be confirmed)
11. Johan Knoetze
12. Herman Jooste

FlyFanatic
12-08-09, 02:51 PM
Hi there,

Would just like to confirm the length of the damsels, 3.5cm or 35 mm? Isnt that a tad long for damsels? Bill Steel says in African FF Handbook that they generally dont exceed 25mm?

Looks like you've got a couple of Damzillas in your dam fish!! :D:p

OllieOwen
12-08-09, 03:24 PM
When I visited Mr Avni's farm in Dec, I netted damsels of 5-5,5cm ;) he still gave me the scientific name but I've got no clue! but 3,5 definitely not too long for specific species.

Shamwari
13-08-09, 05:52 PM
Well, so far, tied up 5, then ran out of fekking material...fek!!!!
They're cool....but....when you check them, you may think that I missed the mark...oh well, this is my 1st Fly Swap. Let's see what happens!:p:D

Benja
13-08-09, 06:50 PM
Well, so far, tied up 5, then ran out of fekking material...fek!!!!
They're cool....but....when you check them, you may think that I missed the mark...oh well, this is my 1st Fly Swap. Let's see what happens!:p:D

Hehe I've also got three of a prototype that I'll be testing this weekend, can't wait :)

This flyswop is awesome! Great twist Philip

Booger Rose
13-08-09, 06:54 PM
Hi Philip, I'll also be testing some ideas this weekend, if they actually takes a fish, I'll join the swop. Dont want to tie a fly that don't work.

Herman Jooste
13-08-09, 10:15 PM
Eduard, just don't tie a hackle through or on your famous olive bugger add two green eyes and hey presto you've got your damsel.:D:D

I've got 4 done so far, even though they look like "bug eyed" oversized Mayfly nymphs to me:o

Weather permitting I wanna see if the SM yellows think the same this weekend:D:D

schloshd1
14-08-09, 06:18 AM
I've got 6 tied so far. They might not qualilfy as realistic fly tying but at least the colour is almost right :o:D

FlyFanatic
18-08-09, 02:52 PM
how's the damzilla's coming on guys? i eventually got a fly designed a that looks more or less like the real thing.. Looks like we can bargain on about 13 for the swap? ;)

Johan Janse van Rensburg
18-08-09, 03:13 PM
Almost done just have to get through this hebrew clas and then the work and then I will probably finish them

FishWhisperer
18-08-09, 04:00 PM
Guys, although id love to join, im going to have to pull out of this one. Just cant seem to find any time anymore. Doing way too much actual fishing! :p

Morne
18-08-09, 09:43 PM
Don't get to exited about tying one fly less guys. Ill take Matt's place.:D

They are all done too. I don't think that I have ever tied so many flies in one sitting:eek:

Johan Janse van Rensburg
18-08-09, 09:51 PM
Hahaha Morne and I wanted to thank him this afternoon but I will tie the last one spescialy just for you! Hahaha

Shamwari
19-08-09, 07:03 AM
Don't get to exited about tying one fly less guys. Ill take Matt's place.:D

They are all done too. I don't think that I have ever tied so many flies in one sitting:eek:

I finished mine last night....monotonous...eish...no, actually it was quite fun, I got better at tying the pattern towards the end...

Will post this week or weekend...

Buf Aloe
19-08-09, 09:54 AM
I finished mine last night....monotonous...eish...no, actually it was quite fun, I got better at tying the pattern towards the end...

Will post this week or weekend...

Whats wrong with you guys????
I haven't even got all the material sorted yet :mad:

OllieOwen
19-08-09, 09:57 AM
Just to confirm, it's 13 flies??

Shamwari
19-08-09, 10:06 AM
Whats wrong with you guys????
I haven't even got all the material sorted yet :mad:

Get cracking then...come on!!!:mad::eek:

:D

Morne
19-08-09, 10:17 AM
Just to confirm, it's 13 flies??

12 flies. You don't tie one for yourself if I understood correct.

Swappers List

1. Schloshd1
2. Shamwari
3. Johan van Rensburg
4. Benja
5. Ollie Owen
6. FlyFanatic
7. Buf Aloe
8. Terence
9. Rols
10. Morne
11. Johan Knoetze
12. Herman Jooste

Booger Rose
19-08-09, 10:42 AM
Entries only closes totmorow AFAIK. Put my name on the list as well. I tied up a few paterns and will try them this weekend. The one that catches the first fish will be tied. Hope it works out:D

1. Schloshd1
2. Shamwari
3. Johan van Rensburg
4. Benja
5. Ollie Owen
6. FlyFanatic
7. Buf Aloe
8. Terence
9. Rols
10. Morne
11. Johan Knoetze
12. Herman Jooste
13. Booger Rose

rols
19-08-09, 11:13 AM
12 flies. You don't tie one for yourself if I understood correct.

Morne you tie however many participants there are. 13 guys, 13 flies.

Morne
19-08-09, 11:17 AM
Morne you tie however many participants there are. 13 guys, 13 flies.

yes that's how I understand it.

Shamwari
23-08-09, 08:57 PM
Flies done and posted. Will send tracking number tomorrow...they look like Dragon Fly Nymphs on steroids...he he he

Herman Jooste
26-08-09, 09:11 PM
13 flies done and dusted. Will be in the post in the next 2 days. I will e-mail the tracking no.
My flies look like either Ginormous "BUG EYED" Nymphs, or mistaken for genetically altered Stonefly nymphs.
It was fun though, thought out the box, ( I hope ).

One thing I do know, they look brilliant when wet, oooohhh soooo pretty:p:p

Hope the troooots and yellows think so:)

Booger Rose
26-08-09, 10:03 PM
I broke two Grip hooks tonight in my vice trying out some new ideas - don't know if I pulled to hard or if it was just k@k hooks.

I'm fishing the whole day tomorow spesifically to try out some of my ideas for this swop. If I catch nothing you just gonna get normal red eye damsels from my side.

Herman Jooste
26-08-09, 10:21 PM
I broke two Grip hooks tonight in my vice trying out some new ideas - don't know if I pulled to hard or if it was just k@k hooks.

I'm fishing the whole day tomorow spesifically to try out some of my ideas for this swop. If I catch nothing you just gonna get normal red eye damsels from my side.

My advice is to take evey Grip hook you have and toss them. If you need a long shank hook look at the Bass stinger hooks, otherwise look for Daiiichi bait hooks, if you have to use a "Flyhook" try and get the Gamakatsu.

I have lost at least 2 "busses" on Grips, and have tossed those hooks I had left.:mad::mad::mad:

Johan Janse van Rensburg
01-09-09, 08:13 AM
Guys how's you flies coming on? Are they in? Just thought I'd ask with the deadline coming...

Buf Aloe
01-09-09, 08:25 AM
Guys how's you flies coming on? Are they in? Just thought I'd ask with the deadline coming...

Just sorted the eye design this morning and will start manufacturing eyes tonight. Tail section sorted, ribbing sorted, so nearly there ja!

Herman Jooste
01-09-09, 08:37 AM
Mine are finished, I will attempt to post in this week, although with the PO strike don't expect them soon.:mad:
I'm waiting with baited breath for three books that I have ordered.

rols
01-09-09, 08:57 AM
Dropped mine off on Sunday

Booger Rose
01-09-09, 09:26 AM
I've strugled to catch any fish the past week or two - even on the Wooly Bugger. So still have not caught a fish om my damsel idea. You guys are still getting a red Eye Damsel from me.:D

FlyFanatic
01-09-09, 10:19 AM
just a question, is the 5th the last date for sending the flies, or should they be at the swap master by then? cuz i really dont see how everyone's flies will be there in time.. So im just going to post them during this week. ;)

schloshd1
01-09-09, 10:22 AM
I've got one left to tie. They should be in post tomorrow

Benja
01-09-09, 12:36 PM
Still got some to do...
Will be handing mine in on saterday

Shamwari
01-09-09, 01:02 PM
Hey Phillip

Did mine get there yet, I have not had time to check the tracking number yet

Herman Jooste
04-09-09, 03:26 PM
Our PO has been closed the whole week due to the fecking strike.:mad::mad:

As soon as I can I will post my flies, hopefully early next week.:(

Shamwari
07-09-09, 12:11 PM
Hey Phillip

What is the status here now...it has all gone very quite here

FlyFanatic
07-09-09, 04:18 PM
posted my flies today, sorry for being late, but the post office strike didnt help much.. :mad::mad:

just hope they arrive safely!! :cool:

Benja
07-09-09, 04:39 PM
wanted to drop mine off at eikendal on saterday and then noticed that I only have 12 flies with me. Will drop it off this saterday...

Herman Jooste
07-09-09, 07:42 PM
Whooohoo, The Vanderbijlpark PO actually opened today, and my flies are on their way.
I will e-mail the tracking no. tomorrow morning(9 it's at work:o )

fish
08-09-09, 08:45 AM
Hi Guys,

Please see the update on flies received below, with the PO striking please let me know if you have posted your flies, it will be delayed.

1. Schloshd1 - not received
2. Shamwari - received
3. Johan van Rensburg - received
4. Benja - not received
5. Ollie Owen - not received
6. FlyFanatic - tracking no. supplied
7. Buf Aloe - not received
8. Terence - received
9. Rols - received
10. Morne - received
11. Johan Knoetze - received
12. Herman Jooste - to supply tracking no.
13. Booger Rose - not received

Thanks,

Philip

Buf Aloe
08-09-09, 08:52 AM
Hi Guys,

Please see the update on flies received below, with the PO striking please let me know if you have posted your flies, it will be delayed.

2. Shamwari - received
4. Benja - not received
7. Buf Aloe - not received RECEIVED
8. Terence - received
9. Rols - received
10. Morne - received
12. Herman Jooste - to supply tracking no.
13. Booger Rose - not received

Thanks,

Philip

HANDED IN ON THURSDAY 05 SEPTEMBER AT FLY TYING EVENING AND THERE WERE SOME RUDE COMMENTS FROM SOME PEOPLE (Booger Rose)
You should find it in my rectangular box with the inscription " tied with only organic materials etc etc"

Herman Jooste
08-09-09, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,

2. Shamwari - received
4. Benja - not received
7. Buf Aloe - not received
8. Terence - received
9. Rols - received
10. Morne - received
12. Herman Jooste - to supply tracking no.TRACKING NO E_MAILED13. Booger Rose - not received

Thanks,

Philip

Tracking no. e-mailed to flytalk@telkomsa.net about 30 minutes ago.

Booger Rose
08-09-09, 09:05 AM
HANDED IN ON THURSDAY 05 SEPTEMBER AT FLY TYING EVENING AND THERE WERE SOME RUDE COMMENTS FROM SOME PEOPLE (Booger Rose)
You should find it in my rectangular box with the inscription " tied with only organic materials etc etc"

I still suffer the pain of that interesting evening. I don't think girls must be part of a flytie event...

As for the comments about aforementioned flies - will they catch fish? Must say between al the flies you really empressed me with the amount of detail regarding colour and size you worked into the flie. (A truly well tied Red Eyed Damsell with black eyes with a different colour scheme:D) If the honorouble member, Buf Aloe, still feel a bit agreviated (spelling) this unhonoured member will gladly take thee to the pub for a cold one after a nice bit of fishing on Blue Gum or the Lourens. Offer stands!:)

I finished my flies but they look so k@k, I'm too afraid to give them in for the swop. I don't think they will catch a fish.:o

Buf Aloe
08-09-09, 11:51 AM
It's going to cost you big:D
Looks like the Lourens is out for a while :mad:

schloshd1
08-09-09, 12:10 PM
mine will be in the post tomorrow, sorry for the delay

OllieOwen
08-09-09, 02:20 PM
Flies posted tracking nr PE 618 446 545 ZA

schloshd1
09-09-09, 03:29 PM
I posted my flies this morning and emailed the tracking number.

Buf Aloe
11-09-09, 12:28 PM
Oi Vis bek! Have you found my organically tied flies. I don't want to win this swap due to default on your side.....

Buf Aloe
15-09-09, 09:20 AM
Hey wakey wakey rise and shine. Whats happening with this swap? Deadline was 10 days ago!
VIS het jy my vlieigies gevind of nie?

Booger Rose
15-09-09, 04:28 PM
I think they just waited for the last flies to arrive and then Mark will - hopefully - post the pics again. As they say - better late than never. Post Office strike etc...

fish
15-09-09, 04:38 PM
Hi Guys,

I will give an update tomorrow and take pics of the flies and post it during the course of the week. I did receive your exquisitely tied Damsels Mr. Buf Aloe.

Cheers

FlyFanatic
15-09-09, 04:44 PM
thanx phillip! ;)

Buf Aloe
15-09-09, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys,

I will give an update tomorrow and take pics of the flies and post it during the course of the week. I did receive your exquisitely tied Damsels Mr. Buf Aloe.

Cheers

Donkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shamwari
15-09-09, 06:15 PM
can mine be entered into a Dragonfly nymph on steroids catagory please...lol

fish
16-09-09, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the updated list, I will be going to the PO tomorrow, Herman and Schlosd1 flies should be there.

2. Shamwari - received
4. Benja - received
5. Ollie Owen - received
6. FlyFanatic - received
7. Buf Aloe - received
8. Terence - received
9. Rols - received
10. Morne - received
12. Herman Jooste - not received
13. Booger Rose - received

fish
21-09-09, 09:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I have received all the participants flies apart from Scholshd1. Andrew, I will see if I can get to the Post Office in the morning.

Here are some pictures:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2791/benjadamsel.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/benjadamsel.jpg/)

Benja

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8417/boogerrosedamsel.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/boogerrosedamsel.jpg/)

Booger Rose

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4261/bufaloedamsel.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/i/bufaloedamsel.jpg/)

Buf Aloe

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8369/flyfanaticdamsel.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/flyfanaticdamsel.jpg/)

Flyfanatic

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6711/hermanjoostedamsel.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/hermanjoostedamsel.jpg/)

Herman Jooste

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5443/johanjansevrensburgdams.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/i/johanjansevrensburgdams.jpg/)

Johan Janse van Rensburg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3116/johanknoetzedamsel.jpg (http://img32.imageshack.us/i/johanknoetzedamsel.jpg/)

Johan Knoetze

fish
21-09-09, 09:10 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4002/mornedamsel.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/mornedamsel.jpg/)

Morne

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8414/ollieowendamsel.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/ollieowendamsel.jpg/)

Ollie Owen

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5140/rolsdamsel.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/rolsdamsel.jpg/)

Rols

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8215/shamwaridamsel.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/shamwaridamsel.jpg/)

Shamwari

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7916/terencedamsel.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/terencedamsel.jpg/)

Terence

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5327/andrewdamsel.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/i/andrewdamsel.jpg/)

Schlosd1

Morne
21-09-09, 09:18 AM
:(Not fair. How come there is no close up of mine. Didn't think it was that bad:p:D

Some nice flies there guys. Thanks to Fish for hosting it.

FlyFanatic
21-09-09, 09:26 AM
NICE!! Great flies as always guys!! Cant wait for them to arrive.. :D:p:cool: Thanx for playing host phillip! ;)

Sage
21-09-09, 09:32 AM
Hey man, awesome flies there guys, well done!!!!

Buf Aloe
21-09-09, 09:38 AM
Hey that looks good. I already spotted a couple that I need to consider.
Thanks Fishy for your hosting...

poppernel
21-09-09, 10:11 AM
HI Guys,

Some good flies there. Like Buf Aloe, Ollie and Rols flies most. Well done to all.

DAVE

OllieOwen
21-09-09, 10:19 AM
Great looking flies guys, can't wait to try them out! :cool:

schloshd1
21-09-09, 10:36 AM
some super flies there guys, Fish mine must be at the post office by now

Shamwari
21-09-09, 11:08 AM
Hey chaps...awesome flies...

Just by looking at some of those, I have learnt a lot....need to taper my tails a bit I think...LOL

Johan Janse van Rensburg
21-09-09, 11:28 AM
Guys great flies!!!!!!! Thanks alot! Rols I like yours ALOT!!!

Shamwari
22-09-09, 11:45 AM
Geepes...everytime I look at my fly compared to the others...I want to run away....eishlol

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 01:17 PM
Some of my creations looks a lot worse than yours, so don't feel bad :D :p

Shamwari
22-09-09, 01:42 PM
Some of my creations looks a lot worse than yours, so don't feel bad :D :p

I do however think it will work....fished by some weeds....thing is it is going to sink quickly

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 03:32 PM
I do however think it will work....fished by some weeds....thing is it is going to sink quickly

I don't like weighting damsel nymphs I think you get far more natural movement from an unweighted fly, and will mostly be fished slowly, so a heavy fly will not perform as it should. But this is only my humble and inexperienced opinion though, and only giving some constructive crit...as I said some of mine looks a lot worse! :D

Shamwari
22-09-09, 03:36 PM
I don't like weighting damsel nymphs I think you get far more natural movement from an unweighted fly, and will mostly be fished slowly, so a heavy fly will not perform as it should. But this is only my humble and inexperienced opinion though, and only giving some constructive crit...as I said some of mine looks a lot worse! :D

I think that make sense....mine will sink like a football head jig and a Bass Master tournement

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 03:48 PM
I think that make sense....mine will sink like a football head jig and a Bass Master tournement

:D:D You might knock a few unconscious and then just net them :p

Shamwari
22-09-09, 03:49 PM
ha ha ha ha

When casting, they will scream louder then a Whislter fly...bombs away...ha ha

Shamwari
22-09-09, 03:51 PM
In Oct, I am going to my folks in Phalies and will visit an old gem of a dam, where my boet and myself learnt to catch bass etc...actually I caught my 1st fish on one of my own flies there yonks ago...a 100gram bassie...he he.

I think I am going to give these "Damsels in Distress" a shot there....will let you know how it went

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 03:54 PM
Bwha hahahaha :D:D

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 03:57 PM
In Oct, I am going to my folks in Phalies and will visit an old gem of a dam, where my boet and myself learnt to catch bass etc...actually I caught my 1st fish on one of my own flies there yonks ago...a 100gram bassie...he he.

I think I am going to give these "Damsels in Distress" a shot there....will let you know how it went

Good stuff!! Hope it goes well, please keep me updated. I've also got a spot in Nelspruit that's got some monster bass, so can't wait to get back there and catch a few :cool:

Shamwari
22-09-09, 03:58 PM
We must make a plan boet....we both have connections in the lowveld...will PM later on

OllieOwen
22-09-09, 04:02 PM
We must make a plan boet....we both have connections in the lowveld...will PM later on

sounds good!

FlyFanatic
29-09-09, 02:14 PM
Any update on the fly swap? Who won and has the flies been posted? ;)

Shamwari
29-09-09, 03:30 PM
I won

The booby prize...a YEARS supply of Windhoek Draught..bottled..

LE LE LE LE LE

fish
29-09-09, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Schlosd1's flies are missing in the PO system, hopefully this will be sorted out next week. Herman's and Schlosd pics will be posted early next week, the winner will be announced and all flies posted to the swappers.

Cheers,

Philip

FlyFanatic
29-09-09, 07:10 PM
Cool thanx philip! ;)

fish
07-10-09, 04:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Andrew's flies got mixed up between the two local Post Offices, picked it up this morning. All the pics. are loaded now, see the previous pages. We will announce the winner next week and I will get the flies off to you guys next week. Have to admit, there is some really nice damsels, I think the pics of the real insects inspired the guys and most of the flies entered will catch plenty of fish.

Cheers,

Philip

Herman Jooste
07-10-09, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys,

Andrew's flies got mixed up between the two local Post Offices, picked it up this morning. All the pics. are loaded now, see the previous pages. We will announce the winner next week and I will get the flies off to you guys next week. Have to admit, there is some really nice damsels, I think the pics of the real insects inspired the guys and most of the flies entered will catch plenty of fish.

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks again for organising the swop Phillip.

BTW wet my concotion before you judge it;):D

( I Need another bobbin holder)

FlyFanatic
14-10-09, 01:48 PM
Update please?? ;)

Buf Aloe
14-10-09, 03:45 PM
Update please?? ;)

I don't think there is going to be any update soon as both Philip and MC are fishing the Nationals and I would suspect that their attention is elsewhere.
Probably hear next week once the hangover has passed when WP take the title!

FlyFanatic
14-10-09, 04:55 PM
lol go WP!! thanx for the update! ;)

Booger Rose
14-10-09, 06:40 PM
I don't think there is going to be any update soon as both Philip and MC are fishing the Nationals and I would suspect that their attention is elsewhere.
Probably hear next week once the hangover has passed when WP take the title!

Hope this is for Flyfishing and not Saturdays rugby...

Buf Aloe
14-10-09, 08:47 PM

Now that you mention it, both would do nicely thank you!

Herman Jooste
14-10-09, 09:38 PM

The Final will be between the Bulls and the Cheetahs. :p:D:D

Buf Aloe
14-10-09, 09:44 PM
Go wash your mouth out with Vim - Go SHARKS!!!!!!

Herman Jooste
14-10-09, 09:55 PM
Go wash your mouth out with Vim - Go SHARKS!!!!!!

The Sharks have more holes in their defence than I have in my teeth.:p
Cheetahs by 5.
Sorry for U.:D:D:D

Booger Rose
15-10-09, 01:15 PM
The Final will be between the Bulls and the Cheetahs. :p:D:D

Hope it's true, then the Bulls have an easy game for the finals. I'm not saying anything about Saturdays game, these Kapenaars I work with is a funny bunch, and that is not like in Ha-Ha funny.:eek:

chris williams
15-10-09, 05:32 PM
Damsel flies, bulls, sharks and cheetahs - no one can ever say we've not keen on our indigenous wild life!!:D

FlyFanatic
15-10-09, 09:04 PM
whahahaha!! :D:D

Herman Jooste
15-10-09, 09:17 PM
Damsel flies, bulls, sharks and cheetahs - no one can ever say we've not keen on our indigenous wild life!!:D

Don't forget the WEEEPEEE "Blometjie". We also care for the flowers.:eek::D

rols
15-10-09, 09:43 PM
Ahem.....Who cares about who plays who.....Sharks will be holding the ticker tape parade to celebrate their win. Simple!!! And yes, no smileys...no hopefully nothing here....I'm so confident of this result, that I'm going to challenge Nick to cook me another "virtual" curry....as he did, after the last Lions defeat. I still keep looking at those curries on the internet (ok, smiley can go here) :)
And our chicks are better looking than any of yours....:p

Herman Jooste
15-10-09, 09:58 PM
Ahem.....Who cares about who plays who.....Sharks will be holding the ticker tape parade to celebrate their win. Simple!!! And yes, no smileys...no hopefully nothing here....I'm so confident of this result, that I'm going to challenge Nick to cook me another "virtual" curry....as he did, after the last Lions defeat. I still keep looking at those curries on the internet (ok, smiley can go here) :)
And our chicks are better looking than any of yours....:p

You may well be right on that score, especially considering the pics I got in a recent e-mail. If the Sharks beat the Cheetahs , I will personally make you a pooitjie ( and break it after :o ) next year.
If the Cheetahs win you will personally guide me on the same beat that we fished this year, ( if it's still a viable beat that is, )

Deal ??????

Buf Aloe
15-10-09, 10:11 PM
You may well be right on that score, especially considering the pics I got in a recent e-mail. If the Sharks beat the Cheetahs , I will personally make you a pooitjie ( and break it after :o ) next year.
If the Cheetahs win you will personally guide me on the same beat that we fished this year, ( if it's still a viable beat that is, )

Deal ??????

If he doesn't, I will!
Those Sharks babes are the best. In fact I'm sure my Avatar is from the ugliest chick in the squad:D

rols
15-10-09, 10:19 PM
If he doesn't, I will!
Those Sharks babes are the best. In fact I'm sure my Avatar is from the ugliest chick in the squad:D
Since you put that pic on, I just want to look so deeply into your eyes....

Buf Aloe
15-10-09, 10:21 PM
Ah Rols you are a flippin funny guy.

Herman Jooste
15-10-09, 10:27 PM
Ah Rols you are a flippin funny guy.

You think that was funny, try fishing with him:eek:

I'm still amazed that Morne gives him carrots every time, 'cos I would be too busy laughing to fish.:D:D

chris williams
16-10-09, 05:28 AM
Herman, I thought 'blometjies' were alien weeds?

Booger Rose
16-10-09, 09:39 AM
If he doesn't, I will!

Elke buk 'n meesterstuk!!!

fish
21-10-09, 09:05 AM
Hi Guys,

The winner of the 2nd Fly Talk / Dr. Slick Swap is Johan Knoetze. Johan imitated the first damsel in the sequence and the zonker strip used adds plenty of movement to the fly, while also being more durable. Johan will be receiving a Dr. Slick ceramic bobbin, sponsored by Stealth.

I will get the flies in the post today.

Buf Aloe
21-10-09, 09:20 AM
Hey well done Kwagga, sommer on your first fly swap as well. It must have been from all the advice I gave you:D:D:D:D:D:D

OllieOwen
21-10-09, 09:47 AM
Well done Johan!! looking forward to receiving the flies :cool:

Shamwari
21-10-09, 10:01 AM
Welldone Johan

schloshd1
21-10-09, 11:00 AM
nice one johan,well done

Booger Rose
21-10-09, 12:33 PM
Geluk Johan, van die begin af gedink jy het die wenvliegie beet!!!

Sal sommer die ou pakkie oppad huis toe kom oplaai gedurende die week iewers. baie dankie vir al julle moeite:)

Shamwari
21-10-09, 01:26 PM
Geluk Johan, van die begin af gedink jy het die wenvliegie beet!!!

Sal sommer die ou pakkie oppad huis toe kom oplaai gedurende die week iewers. baie dankie vir al julle moeite:)

Wat van my f@kken sinker vlieg...jy kan 'n bloukop kogelmander met hom vang man

Booger Rose
21-10-09, 01:30 PM
Wat van my f@kken sinker vlieg...jy kan 'n bloukop kogelmander met hom vang man

The diplomatic answer will be that I think Johan got the proportians just right.:cool:

Shamwari
21-10-09, 01:35 PM
HA HA HA

Dont worry, I was way off the mark...good fun anyways

Johan.knoetze
21-10-09, 08:42 PM
Hey thanks man must have been that
What you all do not know is that i must have tied between 30 flys to get it right . The best of all is im fishing all the flops and im catching on all of these flops .
So bugger all the nice ones ill go for the flops
Thanks to all Im not a tecno wiss
so il need the help from Bufalo to help me with the SbS
Hang in there will do it as soon as my help is available

Buf Aloe
22-10-09, 06:47 AM
Hey thanks man must have been that
What you all do not know is that i must have tied between 30 flys to get it right . The best of all is im fishing all the flops and im catching on all of these flops .
So bugger all the nice ones ill go for the flops
Thanks to all Im not a tecno wiss
so il need the help from Bufalo to help me with the SbS
Hang in there will do it as soon as my help is available

Its going to cost you big ou kwagga!

Johan Janse van Rensburg
22-10-09, 06:53 AM
Well done Johan! Can't wait to get the flies.

Johan.knoetze
22-10-09, 09:18 PM
Its going to cost you big ou kwagga!

mmm not a problem let me know when you are up to it You are going to need lots of patience

Buf Aloe
23-10-09, 08:12 AM
mmm not a problem let me know when you are up to it You are going to need lots of patience

Don't need patience, just beer!

OllieOwen
27-10-09, 07:33 AM
Picked my flies up this morning, thanks again guys, some really good looking flies :)

Herman Jooste
27-10-09, 07:52 PM
Got mine yesterday. Thanks to all the participants and especially to Phillip for organising the whole swap.
At least I know that I will never have to tie a damsel again.:D:D:D

Shamwari
28-10-09, 12:27 PM
When is the next swap chinas?

schloshd1
30-10-09, 03:40 PM
just picked up my flies, some really awsome flies there, thanks everyone

Michael
30-10-09, 04:42 PM
When is the next swap chinas?

Maybe a Vaal Caddis Control Fly swop? :)

Shamwari
30-10-09, 05:43 PM
Maybe a Vaal Caddis Control Fly swop? :)

Multi coloured deer hair rat

poppernel
30-10-09, 06:20 PM
Multi coloured deer hair rat

JEEZ SHAMMERS!!:D Dont mess up your posts, leave that to me or Fario.:p Seems like he and "homer" dont like us anymore.:eek:

DAVE

Shamwari
30-10-09, 07:44 PM
JEEZ SHAMMERS!!:D Dont mess up your posts, leave that to me or Fario.:p Seems like he and "homer" dont like us anymore.:eek:

DAVE

ha ha ha Uncle Pops

poppernel
30-10-09, 08:01 PM
ha ha ha Uncle Pops

:D:D Thought you would enjoy that.:cool:

Now get hold of Ettienne (ET1) and Jauno ( Skerpieoen) and go fish.:rolleyes:

DAVE

Johan Janse van Rensburg
01-11-09, 11:08 AM
Guys thanks for the great flies. I am sure going to get some nice takes on them!

FlyFanatic
02-11-09, 01:00 PM
thanx for the great flies guys! now my damsel section in the flybox looks really neat! :D:cool:

Shamwari
02-11-09, 01:09 PM
Got mine...very nice flys everyone...cheers

Shamwari
20-11-09, 11:56 AM
Oi!

What is happening with the Fly Swaps on Fly Talk Chasps..

Are we gonig to do another one soon....it is almost Dec...time is of the essence....

Bump!

MarkK
20-11-09, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys
I was sitting around and playing with 3 materials. Then I thought of this. What if we started a fly swap where we choose say 3 to 5 materials and see what flies we can make out of the selected materials, each participant can do what ever he wants with the materials, any tipe of fly for any species. What do you guys think?

My vote will be to give JJVR's idea from a while back a go. Maybe we should establish a theme, though?

Shamwari
20-11-09, 01:39 PM
Like Lord of the Rings?

LOL

No sounds like a good idea

MarkK
20-11-09, 01:59 PM
Like Lord of the Rings?

LOL

No sounds like a good idea

Mmmmm... I can do a pretty good Gandalf fly...

Shamwari
20-11-09, 02:01 PM
What was that pretty elf played by Liv Tyler called...I could do her...

kee kee kee

FlyFanatic
20-11-09, 02:11 PM
Lady Arwen ;) (Just for the record i had to google it.. im not that much of a LOTR freak.. :rolleyes:)

Maybe a "Livvy Booby"? Seeing that there is already a "Minky Booby"... :D:p Although i think its more accurately Minky Boob, since theres nothing y-ies to that pair..

Shamwari
20-11-09, 02:16 PM
That is her name...good one...

We can maybe call our fly.."The Double Breasted Matress Thrasher"

Monster
10-12-09, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=FlyFanatic;154982]Lady Arwen ;) (Just for the record i had to google it..

You googled Lady Arwin... Lucky!

Monster
10-12-09, 07:57 AM
If you are doing this again Im in.