PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Warranty - Section Replacement Costs?!?

jock0
12-11-09, 02:41 PM
I've just returned from an epic weeks fishing on the lower Zambezi, unfortunately I broke a section of one of my conventional rods while fighting a fish, but figured all was not lost as the rod had a lifetime warranty.

On my return I got one of the local dealers to order the replacement sections, the tip went over board when the middle section broke, and they arrived a few days later. Herein lies the issue:

The replacement sections came to 40% of the cost of the rod!!! Frankly I think thats a little ridiculous, as in the past they've been 10% at most. It is after all simply a "handling fee" so even if you broke ever single section the cost is still the same.

I'd like to know what other people have generally paid for replacement sections, whether fly or conventional, as I think it might be time for me to start supporting a new brand.

Tha fact that I've now broken three of the rods, through no real fault of my own, is also slightly worrying...

Michael
12-11-09, 02:50 PM
I've just returned from an epic weeks fishing on the lower Zambezi, unfortunately I broke a section of one of my conventional rods while fighting a fish, but figured all was not lost as the rod had a lifetime warranty.

On my return I got one of the local dealers to order the replacement sections, the tip went over board when the middle section broke, and they arrived a few days later. Herein lies the issue:

The replacement sections came to 40% of the cost of the rod!!! Frankly I think thats a little ridiculous, as in the past they've been 10% at most. It is after all simply a "handling fee" so even if you broke ever single section the cost is still the same.

I'd like to know what other people have generally paid for replacement sections, whether fly or conventional, as I think it might be time for me to start supporting a new brand.

Tha fact that I've now broken three of the rods, through no real fault of my own, is also slightly worrying...

What rod make is it, David?

jock0
12-11-09, 02:56 PM
What rod make is it, David?

I'll keep that out of it for now, but they're nothing exotic :D

Mid range rods out of the US...

Michael
12-11-09, 02:59 PM

Why keep it quiet? :confused::confused:
You scared they will see your post, and never honour your warranties again?
Or worse, alert all tackle shops that you are a "difficult" customer? :p

becuase if we don't know, and you just say it's an average rod, nothing special, then 40% for the replacement sections are cool...better than having to buy a new rod. :)
And we cannot comment on anything you said, as we do not know what brand it is. If it's Sage, RAW DEAL....if it's Daiwa, not bad at all. That kinda thing.

jock0
12-11-09, 03:08 PM
Why keep it quiet? :confused::confused:
You scared they will see your post, and never honour your warranties again?
Or worse, alert all tackle shops that you are a "difficult" customer? :p

becuase if we don't know, and you just say it's an average rod, nothing special, then 40% for the replacement sections are cool...better than having to buy a new rod. :)

Thats precisely it - before I name them, I'd like to get an idea of what the industry norm is. No point throwing my toys if every rod maker has increased the cost of replacement sections 4 fold in 8 months.

Truthfully I also didnt appreciate it when I got told the increased cost was due to the fluctuations in the exchange rate. Crisis its improved a lot since the beginning of the year!

poppernel
12-11-09, 03:11 PM
HI David,

I personaly think that with a ''Lifetime warranty'' rod, if you only broke the tip section and had this replaced, fair. But it seems two sections were broken, your whole rod should have been replaced at the same price as the sections.

DAVE

pieterkriel
12-11-09, 03:19 PM
If it is 40% of the cost of a new rod, it is still reasonable considering that some branded rods may soon have no lifetime warranty available, it is not worth it for them anymore.

Michael
12-11-09, 03:24 PM
Thats precisely it - before I name them, I'd like to get an idea of what the industry norm is. No point throwing my toys if every rod maker has increased the cost of replacement sections 4 fold in 8 months.

Truthfully I also didnt appreciate it when I got told the increased cost was due to the fluctuations in the exchange rate. Crisis its improved a lot since the beginning of the year!

I agree...the exchange rate is actually better now than at the start of 2009.

It may be worth insuring your rods. It costs about R8.00 per rod, if you put it on your household insurance. Well worth it...AND you are covered for loss, theft, breakage, the lot then.

Booger Rose
12-11-09, 03:30 PM
Explorer Guide series R150.00 to replace section. Think the Classic 2 is also R 150.00. Still beat to buy a new rod.

deewy
12-11-09, 03:30 PM
I agree...the exchange rate is actually better now than at the start of 2009.

It may be worth insuring your rods. It costs about R8.00 per rod, if you put it on your household insurance. Well worth it...AND you are covered for loss, theft, breakage, the lot then.

Just got a quote on replacement tackle, I requested more expensive stuff that what I have, why replace with the same if you can get better. R28000 replacement value = R152/month, not to bad I would say... Screw the warrenties, replace the damn thing, warenties is just a pain in the arse and a sales gimic(this is my opinion only)

Wade
12-11-09, 03:42 PM

I know the brand and have heard the story of the break. I think 40% of the rod price is a bit steep. I have replaced a section of an explorer classic 2 for R150 once and a horizon XRS for R250. Both under 25% of the rod.

I am looking at insuring my SAGE along with the shilton and Abel reels just in case something goes wrong.

Michael
12-11-09, 03:45 PM
Just got a quote on replacement tackle, I requested more expensive stuff that what I have, why replace with the same if you can get better. R28000 replacement value = R152/month, not to bad I would say... Screw the warrenties, replace the damn thing, warenties is just a pain in the arse and a sales gimic(this is my opinion only)

I hear you brother. Why pay R 6k for a rod, and have a lifetime warranty, when you can buy 2 rods for that price of equal or better quality...and just insure them. Which also then covers loss, theft, etc...not just breakage. And when it does break, and you claim...get a brand new rod...maybe you like a different brand now, a different weight class, whatever...it gives you options.
But....lose your lifetime warranty rods and reels on a flight, or they get stolen...then the lifetime warranty means nothing anyway.

I once waited 9 months for a Scott to be replaced, my mate waited 8 months. Sometimes they are not all that great either. Now I just insure my tackle...can't be bothered with lifetime warranties.
Why are most "lifetime warranty" rods so expensive? To cover the warranty costs!

Gerrit Viljoen
12-11-09, 04:01 PM
If I'm understanding it correctly u had 2 sections replaced? 25% of the rod price x 2 should've been fair.

So in theory a TFO would've cost more or less R500 bucks and a Gloomis about R1500.Hope it's not my beloved TFO. :o :D

Michael
12-11-09, 04:07 PM
If I'm understanding it correctly u had 2 sections replaced? 25% of the rod price x 2 should've been fair.

So in theory a TFO would've cost more or less R500 bucks and a Gloomis about R1500.Hope it's not my beloved TFO. :o :D

G. Loomis, Sage, Etc don't charge you for sections. Well, if they have a dealer here of course. Scott didn't charge me a cent either...but it did take 9 months to replace.

Not all Lifetime Warranties are the same. Some are no-cost replacement whatsoever (like Sage), some are section replacement warranty (that's not really a true lifetime warranty, is it), some will replace the entire rod when a section breaks, at a set replacement fee (for life). And so on.

Gerrit Viljoen
12-11-09, 04:11 PM
I broke a section of my GL and would've paid R750 to replace the section.I waited too long and made a scene.I then got a new rod instead and still paid R750

The same applies to TFO.U pay 25% per section.

Rapala SA = GLoomis
TFO = Optimax

jock0
12-11-09, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys - good points about insurance! I've looked into it in the past but there were so many technicalities linked to the policy it just didnt seem worth it. I'll have a chat to my broker and see if I can sort something out.

Judging by others sentiments it appears I am being screwed over here, so it might be time to look at other brand options. According to the warranty the replacement handling fee is only 25USD. Granted the local distributor will have to add his markup to this to cover the expense of carrying replacement sections in stock but the numbers dont seem to make sense. Unless of course he's making a profit out of honouring the warranties but thats an entirely different kettle of fish...

Gerrit Viljoen
12-11-09, 04:16 PM
Ask ur broker to quote u on tackle included with household stuff plus traveling in your prefered vehicle.

I paid something like R200 p/m and insured for 30k.

ShaunF
12-11-09, 04:33 PM
Just got a quote on replacement tackle, I requested more expensive stuff that what I have, why replace with the same if you can get better. R28000 replacement value = R152/month, not to bad I would say...

Ummm so if I'm understanding you correctly, you've got X rod, but you're covering yourself for Y rod that is more expensive, so that if something happens to X rod, you'll get Y rod, which costs more, as a replacement?

That's like saying you drive a Tazz, but pay the insurance premiums as if you drive a BMW, and then when the Tazz is stolen or written off, you ask for a BMW instead.

So in effect you're insuring yourself for the loss or breakage of something you don't actually own. That's commonly known as insurance fraud.

Andre
12-11-09, 04:35 PM
Ask ur broker to quote u on tackle included with household stuff plus traveling in your prefered vehicle.

Is this for theft only, or for breakge as well, and is it under your "sporting goods " cover?
I sounds awfully cheap. Have you had a claim yet?

deewy
12-11-09, 04:44 PM
Ummm so if I'm understanding you correctly, you've got X rod, but you're covering yourself for Y rod that is more expensive, so that if something happens to X rod, you'll get Y rod, which costs more, as a replacement?

That's like saying you drive a Tazz, but pay the insurance premiums as if you drive a BMW, and then when the Tazz is stolen or written off, you ask for a BMW instead.

So in effect you're insuring yourself for the loss or breakage of something you don't actually own. That's commonly known as insurance fraud.

Funny you mentioned this now, I just spoke to them and explained to them what I want to do and they said I cannot, literally just before I came online now. So back to the drawing board for me, but when I went back to the quote that I submitted I only now see that I actually have more that what I would have had insured at that rate, so now I am going to make a detailed list of what I own, with replacement costs, but that will only be after next week, no time to do that until I fly to JHB tomorrow. I am only going to list my cameras for now, R46 for a my Canon 450D, thats worth it.

So I was not trying to comit fraud, hehehehe, I like to walk the straight and narrow, but still, if you look at it, its not bad for the price.

jock0
12-11-09, 04:47 PM
Funny you mentioned this now, I just spoke to them and explained to them what I want to do and they said I cannot, literally just before I came online now. So back to the drawing board for me, but when I went back to the quote that I submitted I only now see that I actually have more that what I would have had insured at that rate, so now I am going to make a detailed list of what I own, with replacement costs, but that will only be after next week, no time to do that until I fly to JHB tomorrow. I am only going to list my cameras for now, R46 for a my Canon 450D, thats worth it.

So I was not trying to comit fraud, hehehehe, I like to walk the straight and narrow, but still, if you look at it, its not bad for the price.

Glad you avoided what could have been a very interesting discussion come claim time :)

If you've got spare time to hit the vaal while you're up here let me know and I'll see if i can join you.

ShaunF
12-11-09, 04:50 PM

Didn't mean to imply that you would intentionally do it, I was just pointing it out so you didn't find yourself in a spot of bother should you ever put in such a claim. Lot's of people seem to think that what you just described is perfectly fine, as long as they pay the higher premium, they're entitled to a better replacement.

Gerrit Viljoen
12-11-09, 04:53 PM
Is this for theft only, or for breakge as well, and is it under your "sporting goods " cover?
I sounds awfully cheap. Have you had a claim yet?

Theft in house and bakkie only and never had to claim.It was clearly spesified as fly fishing tackle(rods,reels,lines,etc) and equipment.(my boat, tube,motor,battery,oars,everything!)

It was cheap cause the cover included household of x amount, bakkie of x and fishing as x.I believe when u do it as seperate entities the premium is much higher.

I have a Armidillo on the back of my bakkie that can obviously lock.The premium would've been much higher if I didn't have the Armadillo fitted.

deewy
12-11-09, 04:54 PM
I hate dealing with insurance guys so I will rather do it right. Thanks for pointing it out shaun, even if I found it out before you posted, someone else might also bennifit from it.

Jocko, I wish we could hit the Vaal, we are going to Dullstroom for the B Nationals, so its stockie bashing for me for a whole week, if you have anything you can recommend for the next friday other than trout we would be mighty greatfull, something inbetween dullstroom and the airport.

Andre
12-11-09, 05:03 PM
Theft in house and bakkie only and never had to claim.It was clearly spesified as fly fishing tackle(rods,reels,lines,etc) and equipment.(my boat, tube,motor,battery,oars,everything!)

It was cheap cause the cover included household of x amount, bakkie of x and fishing as x.I believe when u do it as seperate entities the premium is much higher.

I have a Armidillo on the back of my bakkie that can obviously lock.The premium would've been much higher if I didn't have the Armadillo fitted.

Ok yes, that sounds about right. Same cover I have. Reason why I was asking, was because to have these items specified for any cover other than standard household theft, and theft from vehicle, will cost a lot more.
There is also the standard all risk cover of R5K, with my poilicy, which could cover a breakage I suppose, but I have never used it.

poppernel
12-11-09, 07:06 PM

HI Gerrit,

What is your exess payement on a claim??

DAVE

jmac
13-11-09, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. i had an almost similar experience with my sage xi2 12 wt last year BUT with a much happier ending.

i lost the tip section off of the rod when the backing bust on the back of the first run by a bus of a GT and i can only think that somehow or other it snagged on the top eye and whipped the section off.

on my return, and with John's help from upstream, i explained the story to Sage in the USA. said i'd understand if they felt this wasn't strictly covered in the definition of breakage but hoped they'd consider my case favourably.

pretty soon after that i got areplacement tip and it cost me standard posatge, no exorbitant costs on that either. if memory serves me correctly it was $25 or $30.

must admit to feeling pretty grateful even though i would have happily paid for the tip.
on a lighter note after being bust off by this bus that my guide had teased in it took some time for it to sink in that i'd lost the tip section: serious case of fish fever and shakes.

the tip went over board when the middle section broke Herein lies the issue:

Gerrit Viljoen
13-11-09, 05:50 PM
HI Gerrit,

What is your exess payement on a claim??

DAVE

Sorry Dave I did not see this post. Oh gosh I can't remember will have to look as I've never claimed before. :o

jock0
14-11-09, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. i had an almost similar experience with my sage xi2 12 wt last year BUT with a much happier ending.

i lost the tip section off of the rod when the backing bust on the back of the first run by a bus of a GT and i can only think that somehow or other it snagged on the top eye and whipped the section off.

on my return, and with John's help from upstream, i explained the story to Sage in the USA. said i'd understand if they felt this wasn't strictly covered in the definition of breakage but hoped they'd consider my case favourably.

pretty soon after that i got areplacement tip and it cost me standard posatge, no exorbitant costs on that either. if memory serves me correctly it was $25 or $30.

must admit to feeling pretty grateful even though i would have happily paid for the tip.
on a lighter note after being bust off by this bus that my guide had teased in it took some time for it to sink in that i'd lost the tip section: serious case of fish fever and shakes.

If my tip had gone over board in similar circumstances to yours I'd also have been mighty grateful. Here's my story:

My rod was a brand new medium heavy 17lb class rod and had been transported to the Zambezi in a custom made tube. It had been fished with for less than 10 hours when it broke. No knocks on the boat, no repeated abuse, no badly fitted sections etc...

I was using 30lb braid, a 2m section of 17lb leader and a reel with a max drag of roughly 17lb, but there is no way it ever gets set more than two thirds of that. I was live baiting and "fed" the fish my bait (rigged on a circle) for roughly 20-30 seconds as it screamed off down stream. I probably had 100m of line in the water, tightened up so the circle would set and bob's your uncle the fish was on.

Next thing you know I had a three piece rod that was now a four piece, the braid rubbed over the remains of the shattered middle section and that was it.

Any body think I was fishing like a chop or putting the rod through something it shouldnt have handled?