PDA

View Full Version : CPS cabin at Lakenvlei....

BuzzLiteBeer
09-03-07, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know the current state of the cabin?

MCC
09-03-07, 11:25 AM
Good question

The cabin itself is in a very good condition. Nothing broken or damaged as far as I am aware and it should always be tidy and clean.

The toilets are not useable at the moment. This is due to the fire that destroyed one and members making a complete mess of the other unit because they can apparently not read the instructions.

We have ordered a new toilet, which should arrive towards the end of the month. The new toilet will be a sealed chemical unit with a hand basin included. There is a company in the Boland that will service and clean the toilet once a month. The cost of this new unit is over R 20 000. It will be locked and only members will have access. If this unit again gets damaged and/or abused by members, then I feel that we should charge an additional levy for the use thereof.

Cheers
MC

BuzzLiteBeer
09-03-07, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info MC!! Does this mean you have to take a lot of Immodium with you?:D

MCC
09-03-07, 11:31 AM
While the toilet is still new, you won't need the Imodiums, but if the guys again sh1t all over the lid of the toilet, then I will personally feed them a couple boxes of Impdiums after forcing some really rough cereal down their throats.

If you do go up there, please let me know what the condition of the hut is and if anything is broken etc.

Cheers
MC

BuzzLiteBeer
09-03-07, 11:34 AM
I will do so!! Will be going on the 17th of March.:cool:

Pierre
09-03-07, 11:37 AM
On our last trip there yes we noticed only the touilet standing, looking like a throne. Well you would have a beautifull view of lakies while taking s@hit, if only you can get close to it. It stank !!!!!

rols
11-03-07, 03:15 PM
funny how people always have to make a mess of toilets. it's such a vitally important part of making an outing a pleasure. wives don't really want to go bush squatting but when they hear the venue has a loo, they quite keen, only to find some dick head crapped all over the show. i was desperate on that same trip pierre is talking about but would not use the loo. i meant to write to the piscatorial society and inform them but then forgot. it was really k@k in there:D

BuzzLiteBeer
11-03-07, 08:35 PM
I suppose the next question is pretty obvious. Do Fynbos sanitation rules apply here?

Summary: going to the loo in the Western Cape mountains

1. Carry a small spade or trowel in your party
2. Keep at least 50 m from water when relieving yourself
3. Bury all excreta and toilet paper - 15 cm is a good depth
4. Avoid defecating on paths, near camping spots or huts, in caves or at summit beacons
5. All other waste must leave the area with you :cool:

BuzzLiteBeer
06-06-07, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know the current state of the cabin?

What do you need to pack when taking a trip to Lakensvlei and staying over in the cabin?? (A list would be nice:) )

Rendier
06-06-07, 02:47 PM
As per Sean Mills, "Everything you'd take along camping, except the tent" :)

Andre
06-06-07, 03:27 PM
Yes everything except the tent, there are however plates cups knives forks, braai grids. etc, and enough beds and matrasses to sleep 6. you gonna need bogroll, food drink, dishwasher, gas bottle to heat water, take your own drinking water as the supply is rain water, Take plent of warm stuff an it is frikking cold up there at the moment. You will also need some kind of lantern , or candles.

BuzzLiteBeer
06-06-07, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Lakies here I come.

Andre
06-06-07, 04:42 PM
Excellent, you are lucky to have got a space at the hut. Please look after the toilet, as we went through a nightmare to get it up there. It was finally installed at 17h30 on the Thursday evening before Good Friday, and of course we had full bookings for the whole Easter weekend, so we heaved a sigh of relief when it was eventually put in. So far there have been no complaints.

Chris Shelton
06-06-07, 06:41 PM
Andre, is pitching a tent still allowed outside the gate?

Andre
06-06-07, 08:15 PM
I dont think so, but if you want to camp close by, the Matroosberg reserve just up the road has a good camp site with hot water, showers, and good toilets, and costs less than the hut for a night. They also sell firewood, It is literally 10 mins from Larkies. Cordre is the owner, and he can be contacted through Ceres tourist information.

Chris Shelton
06-06-07, 10:47 PM
Thanks mate...good to know. Damn, in the past I would camp right on the waters edge near the pump house. Awesome days those were!

rols
06-06-07, 11:04 PM
Thanks mate...good to know. Damn, in the past I would camp right on the waters edge near the pump house. Awesome days those were!
ooohhh
you giving away your age now when you say "those days" :eek:

izak
07-06-07, 07:42 AM
Andre, is pitching a tent still allowed outside the gate?

Maybe ask Bob if you may camp near his house, sure he wont mind the company.

Chris Shelton
07-06-07, 08:15 AM
you must be joking!

izak
07-06-07, 08:32 AM
you must be joking!

Yes :D

But you never know, my friend knows Bob, hes not that bad.

BuzzLiteBeer
07-06-07, 09:25 AM
Excellent, you are lucky to have got a space at the hut. Please look after the toilet, as we went through a nightmare to get it up there. It was finally installed at 17h30 on the Thursday evening before Good Friday, and of course we had full bookings for the whole Easter weekend, so we heaved a sigh of relief when it was eventually put in. So far there have been no complaints.

Damn right. I was supposed to go on the 17th of March and then some D**5 started a fire. Been waiting patiently since then. I will personally take photos of the toilet before and after anyone uses it while I'm there.:D Hell, might as well check permits as well.

KevinC
07-06-07, 09:41 AM
Damn right. I was supposed to go on the 17th of March and then some D**5 started a fire. Been waiting patiently since then. I will personally take photos of the toilet before and after anyone uses it while I'm there.:D Hell, might as well check permits as well.

hehehehe- The toilet is apparently in good order- but works in a seriaaasly dodgy, albeit successful, way... After seeing guys come out with eyes the size of saucers I have yet to pluck up the courage to use it myself!

Pack a life jacket! I heard from Grant who probably heard from the Ceres Mafia that Ceres had 110ml of rain last night!

Andre
07-06-07, 10:20 AM
Naaaa, the toilet is great, it is one of those newfangled flushable porta cans, doesnt even have a wiff. Three weeks ago it was perfect. There is even running tank water for the hand wash. I will call Jean today to make sure that the old man at Lerkies has topped up the chemicals etc. so you guys will have a stress free weekend. Please feedback to me on the condition of the whole place after the weekend.
Thanks a lot, and tight lines.

nkula_nkula
07-06-07, 09:18 PM
Naaaa, the toilet is great, it is one of those newfangled flushable porta cans, doesnt even have a wiff. Three weeks ago it was perfect. There is even running tank water for the hand wash. I will call Jean today to make sure that the old man at Lerkies has topped up the chemicals etc. so you guys will have a stress free weekend. Please feedback to me on the condition of the whole place after the weekend.
Thanks a lot, and tight lines.

Was at Lakies from wednesday till today (thursday) we fished right through the front. Ended up catching trout on bass poppers 2day. Was absolutely amazing fishing like I've never had before. The hut is tidy, but definitely a fishing cabin and not the mount nelson. The toilet is brilliant. Nice and clean!

rols
07-06-07, 10:34 PM
liam
glad you gonna be in the office tomorow to pay wages :D

izak
08-06-07, 08:09 AM
Was at Lakies from wednesday till today (thursday) we fished right through the front. Ended up catching trout on bass poppers 2day. Was absolutely amazing fishing like I've never had before. The hut is tidy, but definitely a fishing cabin and not the mount nelson. The toilet is brilliant. Nice and clean!

Howzit Liam

Tell us abit more about the poppers, what did you use, how big and how? Was it a last resort. I have never caught trout on a propper popper, and find this very interesting.

Cheers

nkula_nkula
08-06-07, 11:50 PM
Howzit Liam

Tell us abit more about the poppers, what did you use, how big and how? Was it a last resort. I have never caught trout on a propper popper, and find this very interesting.

Cheers

Izak

Was amazing! We had two solid days of rain, VERY COLD WEATHER and SNOW on the mountains when we arrived! Wherever there was a river flowing into the dam fish were congregating and feeding on a smorgasboard of food washed in by all the surface runoff; crickets, catepillars beetles were all floating on the surface. The fish were right in the shallows going absolutely nuts. Fished bass poprs and big hopper imitations. Fish were nailing them, but hookup ratio was rather poor. Still very exciting to see a bow wave form behind your fly while stripping and have the fish porpoise over your fly. :cool:

I got soaked, but it was really worthwhile braving the rain.....

nkula_nkula
11-06-07, 01:23 AM
Saw the catch report on the main site, the guys hammered the fish on saturday. Pity I couldn't make it:(

izak
11-06-07, 02:15 PM
Izak

Was amazing! We had two solid days of rain, VERY COLD WEATHER and SNOW on the mountains when we arrived! Wherever there was a river flowing into the dam fish were congregating and feeding on a smorgasboard of food washed in by all the surface runoff; crickets, catepillars beetles were all floating on the surface. The fish were right in the shallows going absolutely nuts. Fished bass poprs and big hopper imitations. Fish were nailing them, but hookup ratio was rather poor. Still very exciting to see a bow wave form behind your fly while stripping and have the fish porpoise over your fly. :cool:

I got soaked, but it was really worthwhile braving the rain.....

Sounds awsome.