PDA

View Full Version : What would u call essential equipment?

InHumanForm
18-10-10, 04:32 PM
Like list all from rods to sunscreen!!!
So far for me it is.
Rod.
Reel with spare spool.
Floating line on 1 spool sinking on other.
U must HAVE polarized Glasses.Whether it is R100 Cheapies or R2500 Oakley's.. (for all the girls i dont think prada and chanel and ck make polarized.:p)
Scissors.
Clippers.
Forceps.
A net.
leaders.
Some flies...
thats the basics idd say.

I have a 10year old cheap 6weight rod with 6weight intermediate line... the rod and reel was like R200 dont laugh i caught lotsa fish on it.. gonna use it for bass , carp etc..
Than i have a Stealth Explorer 4 weight with Killwell Genesis Reel and spare spool/20meter backing on each an RIO floating line and RIO sinking line.
This is my trout rod.
Have been using 5X stealth leaders but they are way too thin.
Have a wooden net.need to get a way to attach it to my back. and a Snowbee folding/extending 1.
Have a cheap vest i bought years back. not made for fly fishing but serves the purpose.
Scissors, forceps and clippers attached via those retractable thingies. and the point of the scissors has a rubber cap so i dont impale myself..
Sunscreen.
Wide Rim hat
Few flies..

Well thats my setup... whats urs? and what would you recommend ?

Derick

Andre
18-10-10, 05:31 PM
Well, I for one, cannot go fishing without my wading stick. I have one of those telescopic hiking poles from First ascent, and cannot go to the river without it. Ok, my knees are not good, and the extra support helps me a lot.

InHumanForm
18-10-10, 05:36 PM
Well, I for one, cannot go fishing without my wading stick. I have one of those telescopic hiking poles from First ascent, and cannot go to the river without it. Ok, my knees are not good, and the extra support helps me a lot.

i have never waded a river just the dam yesterday dont think i need a stick for the dam

angi84
18-10-10, 06:04 PM
Have a wooden net.need to get a way to attach it to my back.

i've seen these magnet type things that attaches on your bag, with the other half attached on your net. then it stays in place on your bag...and when you need it, you just pull it hard and it comes off. it's really cool.

InHumanForm
18-10-10, 06:32 PM
i've seen these magnet type things that attaches on your bag, with the other half attached on your net. then it stays in place on your bag...and when you need it, you just pull it hard and it comes off. it's really cool.
sweet ill get one of those

KB280DT
18-10-10, 07:48 PM
I've started out with a Stealth Start #8/9 and two reels - one with floating line and the other with a sinking line.

A short while ago I aquired a Stealth Adventure #5/6 and bought a Greys GRXi #5/6 reel from the UK. Thanks to Denton I have a floating, intermediate and sinking line on the spools of the Greys reel as well as quite a couple of extra flies to try out when my home tied flies fail :D :D

In my fishing bag I'll have tapered leaders, tippet material, clippers, 2/3 small fly boxes with a selection of flies. I reckon there might be a couple of things that I'll need to take with, so I'll watch this space :D

troutmaster
18-10-10, 08:12 PM
Can't believe the most important item hasn't been mentioned yet:

THE COOLER BOX!

Hydration is VERY important!!! :D:)

I normally fish from my ARK and thus have one of those upright Bosch cooler bags that you used to get with a Bosch drill years back; works a charm and fits perfectly between the battery and pontoon. Stock it with all sorts of healthy goodies for the day...

jmac
18-10-10, 08:19 PM

sheesh... maybe you shouldn't fish a heavy rod like a 99 with those weak knees; maybe something lighter would be better :D call me i'm sure we can reach an agreement on how i can ease your load ;):D (and remember i'm only interested in the rod part of the load!!!)
pete

Andre
18-10-10, 08:50 PM
sheesh... maybe you shouldn't fish a heavy rod like a 99 with those weak knees; maybe something lighter would be better :D call me i'm sure we can reach an agreement on how i can ease your load ;):D (and remember i'm only interested in the rod part of the load!!!)
pete

Peter, you are too kind. It's rare these days to find such caring consideration among fellow human beings...:)

Gwydion
19-10-10, 08:27 AM
A short while ago I aquired a Stealth Adventure #5/6

Im a big Stealth fan.. I also have the adventure 5/6# rod and a Stealth travel 8/9# rod.:D

My kit consists out of my explorer chest pack, inside I have my different tapered leaders, tippet material, split shots, strike indicators. Then I carry my fly boxes, one with small flies and dries the other with buggers and bigger bass and trout flies.

Attached to my pack I have my wading staff, floatant gel, forceps, clippers and leather patch I use for straitening my leaders and tippet. On the inside of my back pack I have a waterproof container clipped on I use for my keys and cellphone.

I need a net though.. I have two but not one has a clip or anything on it so I always forget them and rely on everyone else landing my fish:o hehe

Thats all I can think of

G

redhumpy
19-10-10, 08:53 AM
Take a hat.

Korrie
19-10-10, 08:56 AM
Wading boots, with felt soles.

after my rod and line, the most important part of my fishing outfit.
To slip and slide, tumble etc the whole day, not fun.

Get wading boots

Gerrit Viljoen
19-10-10, 08:57 AM
Wading boots, with felt soles.

after my rod and line, the most important part of my fishing outfit.
To slip and slide, tumble etc the whole day, not fun.

Get wading boots

Met gravel guards,anners is daar heeldag klipertjies wat jou irriteer. :p

freestone
19-10-10, 09:20 AM
my bare essentials 'fishing light' for streams;

wading boots
rod
reel with floating line and 4x 9ft tapered leader
4x 5x 6x 7x tippet
1 small box of flies (dries and nymphs). dries -(parachute mayflies, spundun, ant, elkhair caddis,) nymphs (pheasant tail, hare and copper, flashback, tungsten beadhead)
pill case of RAB's
hat
sunscreen
polaroids
nippers
forceps
floatant

all fits on lanyard and one pocket of my shirt.
but then i usually take my vest and pack and pile it all in - more flies, even more flies, camera, windcheater, lunch, did i mention more flies....

Korrie
19-10-10, 09:25 AM
and more nymphs.....

Gwydion
19-10-10, 09:29 AM
I forgot to add, I also keep my sunscreen in my pack with my polaroids. I also take a hat/cap.:D

InHumanForm
19-10-10, 10:34 AM
I forgot to add, I also keep my sunscreen in my pack with my polaroids. I also take a hat/cap.:D

just bought a explorer wading stick at ganis and a shaker and some liquid floatant...!!! damn they where out of stock of those net magnets... i need 1 for my vaal trip.../

Herman Jooste
19-10-10, 09:30 PM
For the Vaal Trip 6/7 November your requirements will be: ( In order of priority .

Fishing Wise.

Decent Wading Boots. Chota's are the cheapest and are competent.
Wading stick . Make your own from a broom stick.
Rod & Reel, including floating fly line. Weight of your own choosing.
Leader/Tippet . Read the archives, there must be 200 posts +. Choose the one one you like. ( Search Yellowfish Leaders ).
Landing net
Flies.

Social Wise.

A cast iron liver. :D:D
Some refreshments of your own choice.
The ability to listen to OMR & HHJ, talking kr@p about the "old days ":eek:

Et1
19-10-10, 09:40 PM
A cast iron liver. :D:D
Some refreshments of your own choice.
The ability to listen to OMR & HHJ, talking kr@p about the "old days ":eek:

And get ready for a long distance call! He will make sure you answer!:eek::rolleyes::D

Herman Jooste
19-10-10, 09:44 PM
And get ready for a long distance call! He will make sure you answer!:eek::rolleyes::D

Aaaahh, forgot about the "Blackberry ". I shall be taking my " Silverberry ", suitably charged, with Back up batteries.:D

Stephen Louw
19-10-10, 11:13 PM
In addition to the above, for the Vaal I would include a spare set of contact lenses.