PDA

View Full Version : New Flytalker / Old Flyfisherman

DJR
16-12-10, 01:56 PM
Hi, I'm DJR, and I've been a flyfishing addict for about 20 years (but have only recently upgraded to the kind of computer / ADSL connection that makes Flytalking feasible) and I do not want to kick the habit.

Before , I've spent my money on all kinds of flyrods and reels from 0 to 12 weight and on fishing trips, hunting anything from trout to giant kingfish. My homewaters are the Western Cape streams, with the Elandspad possibly my favourite. I make regular expeditions to the Richtersveld, fishing for yellows, which is always an adventure, and I make the occasional trip up the East coast to Mozambique, when the salt water flyfishing in the Cape frustrates me too much. I absolutely never travel without a flyrod or two, you never know what fishing lies around the next bend. I like my fishing to be fun and to take me away from the crowds.

That is how I came to do the most surreal flyfishing ever, in the Karoo, for agamas (bloukop koggelmanders). They freely took a #18 Adams and sometimes they would hang on to the fly (with hook cut off) so tightly that you could reel them in for a few paces before they let go.

I'm one of those anti-social types that often fish alone despite my wife worrying about my safety, but am currently teaching my two young sons to flyfish, hopefully to help me wade one day when I need a Zimmer frame.

Gerhard
16-12-10, 03:18 PM
Welcome.

Hope to read a lot more about your adventures with the fly ...

nkula_nkula
19-12-10, 05:46 PM
Welcome Dawid!

Enjoy the forum....

poppernel
19-12-10, 07:02 PM
Hi, I'm DJR, and I've been a flyfishing addict for about 20 years (but have only recently upgraded to the kind of computer / ADSL connection that makes Flytalking feasible) and I do not want to kick the habit.

Before , I've spent my money on all kinds of flyrods and reels from 0 to 12 weight and on fishing trips, hunting anything from trout to giant kingfish. My homewaters are the Western Cape streams, with the Elandspad possibly my favourite. I make regular expeditions to the Richtersveld, fishing for yellows, which is always an adventure, and I make the occasional trip up the East coast to Mozambique, when the salt water flyfishing in the Cape frustrates me too much. I absolutely never travel without a flyrod or two, you never know what fishing lies around the next bend. I like my fishing to be fun and to take me away from the crowds.

That is how I came to do the most surreal flyfishing ever, in the Karoo, for agamas (bloukop koggelmanders). They freely took a #18 Adams and sometimes they would hang on to the fly (with hook cut off) so tightly that you could reel them in for a few paces before they let go.

I'm one of those anti-social types that often fish alone despite my wife worrying about my safety, but am currently teaching my two young sons to flyfish, hopefully to help me wade one day when I need a Zimmer frame.Welcome Dawid, bOET!! thars not cabbage, send me some!!!:D

Agamas bloukop koggelmander :eek: Durban Green!!:) just guesing, going through the contacts.:o