PDA

View Full Version : Renzetti vise for let or right hand tyer

Andre s
11-04-11, 08:08 AM
When ordering a Renzetti vise, they say you must order for either a left hand tyer or right. Can anyone tell me what the physical difference between the 2 options are. Has it got to do with what side of the vice the tension screws are on or has it got to do with the rotary direction? :confused:

Thanks

jean.struweg
11-04-11, 08:36 AM
Not 100% sure, but I guess all the adjustment knobs etc are on the opposite side, so that when you turn the vise so that it "faces" the other way (right to left is the best way I can describe it), the same knobs will face you/face away from you as with the RH model which will face left to right.

Hope this makes sense (and hoping my guess is accurate)

Cheers

chris williams
11-04-11, 09:19 AM
Even though i'm left-handed, i usually tie right handed - and my surname isn't Renzetti!

I have a right-handed vice - IE the vice head points to the right. It means I can bring pressure on the vice towards me as when dubbing/tightening knots etc whereas if I push the vice head away from me it moves and doesn't hold firm. So if you have a left-handed one (with the vice head pointing left) you can still apply pressure towards you when dubbing/tying knots but it will now hold when you push against it. Can show you in five seconds but difficult to describe!

Andre s
11-04-11, 09:20 AM
Thanks Jean, i understand what you are explaining, this is what i was thinking but not sure if it was to do with which side the knobs are on or also something to do with the rotary action.

So am i correct in saying if a right hand vice is in front of you with the jaws to the right the screws will be facing you, not on the other side?

Andre s
11-04-11, 09:22 AM
Thanks Jean, i understand what you are explaining, this is what i was thinking but not sure if it was to do with which side the knobs are on or also something to do with the rotary action.

So am i correct in saying if a right hand vice is in front of you with the jaws to the right the screws will be facing you, not on the other side?

Thanks Chris, so is there no way of telling if the vise was made for left or right by just looking at it?

chris williams
11-04-11, 09:46 AM
I'm an expert on many types of vice but not on many flytying ones!

I'd say if you set up the vice so the head faces the right and try turning it towards you. If it 'gives' when you do this but remains firm if you push it away from you then that would be a left-handed vice. If you pull it towards you and it doesn't give and vice versa then it'd be a right-handed one.

Ask Murray and Ricko at FFU I'm sure they can explain it more eloquently!

Ricko
11-04-11, 10:06 AM

100 % , but in the case of the Renzetti P 2000 and up the rotary action will also come into play. The rotary arm run on a one way bearing , thus it engage only in one direction and "free spool" in the opposite direction.

Hope this help.

chris williams
11-04-11, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ricko that's what I was trying to say, as usual your English is better than mine!

LOL
Chris

Ricko
11-04-11, 12:00 PM
Jammer Chris , i will stick to Afrikaans dan.

chris williams
11-04-11, 02:00 PM
Baie dankie, Oom!