PDA

View Full Version : Drag setting

Gerrit Viljoen
24-08-11, 04:00 PM
What is the correct way to set your drag at when you're finished fishing? I've heard conflicting opinions and hence the thread.

I always set my knob to zero (cork drag system) Is it right or wrong? :o

Thanks

jock0
24-08-11, 04:04 PM
For my freshwater stuff I loosen all the drags. For the saltwater stuff I tighten them up, give the reels a good rinse, and then loosen them...

No problems to date :)

OllieOwen
24-08-11, 04:05 PM
What is the correct way to set your drag at when you're finished fishing? I've heard conflicting opinions and hence the thread.

I always set my knob to zero (cork drag system) Is it right or wrong? :o

Thanks

I do the same that is what most manufacturers recommend isn't it? :confused:

Frontier Fly Fishing
24-08-11, 05:22 PM
Hi G

We believe the correct way to store a cork drag is with just enough pressure to keep the cork in it's manufactured condition.

Release the drag to its fullest, then turn the drag knob a small turn and feel if there is any drag pressure, try again until you can feel that the cork is just pressing on the back of the spool.

Remember that cork is a natural product and will always return to its original form if left long enough. By applying soft pressure on the cork, it will maintain its form and shape. If not the cork will expand and some bits will expand more than other bits, thus creating pitting in the cork and the chance of cork rolling over the other bits of cork, into little balls, is increased.

However, most manufactures recommend that you release the drag completely. But we have experienced the pitting that comes from extended storage and have seen cork drags with the cork rolling and creating little balls as it rolls off the drag plate.

Regards

WJvE
24-08-11, 05:50 PM
Now there's a bit of good info!!!!
Some how that thought escaped me:o!

Thanks! Gerrit for bringing it up!:D Will go and do that

gazzarowan
24-08-11, 07:20 PM
thanks Frontiers! good bit of info there to remember...

i also usually rinse my reels with full drag...if storing them for a while, usually oil the bearing etc as well to keep them "new".

in storage they usually have zero drag, but will check my cork systems now.