Thread: Flow v Temp

Default Flow v Temp

Current information at the Barrage:

Discharge - 38.5
    Temp - 18.2

Is the temp still the main factor for the fish, or will they move back to the rapids when the flow is high?

Quote Originally Posted by henried View Post
    Current information at the Barrage:

Discharge - 38.5
    Temp - 18.2

Is the temp still the main factor for the fish, or will they move back to the rapids when the flow is high?
    I know this was asked before the winter, but with the benefit of hindsight I would say that the temp is the main factor. Remeber when they increased the flows in the middle of winter to lower the level above the barrage? Kevin Klopper and I were just below the barrage on the Sunday when they started increasing the flows up to 40cumecs. There was a baitie comp on at the same venue. As the flows got higher, the bait okes catch rate went up, but right in the middle of the river way below the main island where no man would ever dare to try and wade ( depth about 2m ).
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

from the little knowledge I have gathered over time this might cause them to move into the rapids, higher temp, higher flow might tell them it is getting close to spawning time

It is also a known fact that as the water temp rise the oxygen levels in slow, deeper water drop and almost force the Yellows into the riffles (aside from nature that is calling) All and all I would say that the water temp. is the ruling factor. Also bear in mind that the yellow's food source bread and live in the rapids and are constantly on the increase as the water temp. rises.
    No PAIN No Gain

One thing to point out guys is that Henried's post was referring to temperatures a while back.

Currently the water still warms up as it moves down the river so strictly speaking an increase in the discharge will be releasing cooler water into the system which won't warm up as fast in the same distance as it had previously in effect lowering the mean temperature.

I think what might have been happening in Herman's case on Sunday is that the fish were now moving into that section of due to the higher flow and thus more oxygenated water, but that's just an opinion, I don't rightly know how temperatures affect baitfishing.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Anglers I know went to the river yesterday...temp was measured in Potch area, at 18 Deg C...it's time to go fishing boys...

At that temp, it's almost ripe for the first spawn...I reckon an early spawning season is on the cards.

Yummy...