Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paul's slayer request

Default Paul's slayer request

Hi guys

Could someone please help me out here. At last jr protea trials we were asked to tie a Paul's Slayer as one of our flies. I copied one which I had found on the internet http://media.photobucket.com/image/P...9/p_slayer.jpg which I was later informed was wrong. I have not been able to find a SBS for one or a photo any different to my idea of what it looks like. Please help! I would really appreciate it.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I knew I recognised it. Took a minute to remember which forum he posted it on.

This fly was tied by Rory Barnes, having tied with Rory before, I do not think that it can be wrong unless he altered the profile to make it more effective. You can ask him yourself. He is on the forum.

Here's the link to his original post.
    http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1428.0
    Last edited by wernerm; 24-12-11 at 11:07 AM.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

This is what Mavungana reckons it should look like though.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thanks so much.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Something like this?

#12 hook
    3mm tungsten bead
    Attachment 12470

Attachment 12471

From what I can see you're materials were a little off and you're recipe maybe as well. For the thorax i'd use ice dubbing, for the body hares ear dubbing with a copper wire or tinsel rib, also a sparsely palmered hackle looks like it was used from what i can see.

So,

1. Insert the bead
    2. Tie in a hackle at the back of the hook as well as your ribbing
    3. Dub the body
    4. Wind over the hackle in wide turns
    5. Wind over the copper/tinsel rib taking care not to trap the hackles
    6. Tie in the wing case (Yours is fine I think)
    7. Dub the thorax
    8. Tie off

That is how i would tie it although there will be other methods. I'll go give it a shot and come back to you.
    Last edited by wernerm; 24-12-11 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. How's this now?
    I've added some hare body guard hairs to my dubbing and wrapped some grizzly hackle over the body. There is copper wire there but it is difficult to see because I have brushed out the body with velcro so that it looks a bit more buggy and to try and tease out some of the hare guard hairs. The black dubbing is peacock dubbing. Any better?
    Attachment 12474

Attachment 12475

Looks much better, just one more thing, this is a caddis pupa imitation and too much "fur" is going to make the fly ride too high in the current. Just don't tease out the dubbing, we need a thinner profile for the caddis to be realistic in looks and performance. The rest looks pretty good, you almost have it down. I'll tie up a SBS after Christmas and post it here.

Also, when tying you need to understand the entomology behind what you are doing.

This site is en excellent reference.
    http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/...Entomology.htm

The caddis pupa specifically:
    http://www.flyfishingentomology.com/Caddisfly.htm
    Last edited by wernerm; 24-12-11 at 02:04 PM.

Why are you teasing the dubbing out? I think this is your biggest "problem". Keep the profile slim. Caddis patterns do not need a teased out, buggy body imho. Also check the taper ... thin to thick - not a constant taper.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Why are you teasing the dubbing out? I think this is your biggest "problem". Keep the profile slim. Caddis patterns do not need a teased out, buggy body imho. Also check the taper ... thin to thick - not a constant taper.
    You explain it better than I do methinks. Good comment, thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast