Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: fighting a fish on fly

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    That doesn't sound very sporting to me? Suffocate him to get him in faster?
    My take to Werner, but those are the facts, isn't it facts?

But also, do deprive it of oxygen for a short while to land the fish and release it as quickly as possible or do you play the fish to the point of exhaustion where it can not be revived?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

if you "suffocate" the fish a bit, you land it quicker and it can be revived relatively quickly, if it fights itself too hard for too long, its body cannot recoverfast enough and can become barbel bait of be washed down river and drown...
    i havent done this much, but on occasion and depending on the water im fishing i will
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

The best way is to wait untill the fish gets close and get your buddy to tackle it.Julian has become quite good at this.

The most important factor when safely playing and landing a fish is the build-up of lactic acid in the fish's muscles. The longer the fight goes on, the more the fish stresses, and the more lactic acid builds up...and the less it's chances of survival after being released.
    So your goal is to keep the fight as short as possible, no matter what water it's in, and to bring the fish in as soon as possible (and to release it as sooon as possible). Then not to handle it much, wet your hands before handling the fish, don't keep it out of the water for long (as long as you can hold your own breath when YOU are out of breath or tired, is a good measure), keep your fingers out of it's gills, don't lift it vertically out of the water, support it under the head and gills and tail for a photo if you must, then revive it by holding it steady and facing into the current, until it actually swims out of your hands.

To add to what Mike said, I like to keep my fish in the water and let them revive properly before lifting them out for a picture.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

When jigging, I don't worry about building up anything
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    LOL, good one
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The most important factor when safely playing and landing a fish is the build-up of lactic acid in the fish's muscles. The longer the fight goes on, the more the fish stresses, and the more lactic acid builds up...and the less it's chances of survival after being released.
    So your goal is to keep the fight as short as possible, no matter what water it's in, and to bring the fish in as soon as possible (and to release it as sooon as possible). Then not to handle it much, wet your hands before handling the fish, don't keep it out of the water for long (as long as you can hold your own breath when YOU are out of breath or tired, is a good measure), keep your fingers out of it's gills, don't lift it vertically out of the water, support it under the head and gills and tail for a photo if you must, then revive it by holding it steady and facing into the current, until it actually swims out of your hands.
    Thanks Mike, good reply. I have however only on one occasion had the exhaustion problem and that was with a large rainbow I caught on a three weight. Revival is always quick and fish swim off strong. This fighting it in less oxygenated waters is a first for me. I think we are going overboard here. Just an opinion.

Only place where I might think it to be relevant is with a fish over 6kg's on a 4kg tippet.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    LOL, good one
    POETH METODE!!
    Freddy is spot on.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

hehehehe - Never heard of the theory that playing him in calmer water helps because he is getting less oxygen!! If that is the case we should release our fish straight back into the fastest section of the rapids which i don't think is a good idea.

The only reason it helps in my opinion is because you are not fighting the fish and the current.

Also, i do not exactly agree about trying to get it's head up to tire the fish. In my opinion, if you can lift a fish's head out the water, he is ready to be netted and one should do so ASAP. He will not fight much longer after that. So in a way i get why you were taught that, ie get it's head up, but the reason is not that it tires them out or suffocates them, but rather that if you've got his head up, you've already tired it out and he is ready to come in. Hope i have made the distinction correctly.

Also - great tip from MyWorld about netting the fish upstream of you. To add to it, when you do this, the fish will come down into the net, but has the opportunity to swim straight back out as it has slack and is already facing upstream. A good thing to do is, as soon as the fish is over the hoop of the net and dropping into it, pull the net sharply towards yourself, and this will immediately push the fish down into the bag, so if he spooks and shoots forward he will not shoot out the top of the net but rather will shoot further down into the bag and you will not lose him.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast