Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: fly-fishing n00b

Quote Originally Posted by kreef View Post
    Hey Vaughn

Welcome to the forum.

I think you should rather look at a 6 weight, as it is a bit more versatile. If you are going to use it for bass as well, bass flies tend to be bit bigger, and if the wind is up, you will cast better with the 6# as opposed to the 5#.

Cheers

JS
    I agree. The #6 is the best option for an all-rounder, you're not gonna fish Yellows with a 5 unless you are experienced, you'll hurt the fish in the process.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    I agree. The #6 is the best option for an all-rounder, you're not gonna fish Yellows with a 5 unless you are experienced, you'll hurt the fish in the process.
    dont wanna hurt any fish, so then i'll definitely check out a 6.

thx wernerm

really appreciate the help and hospitality guys.

As far as lines go the Sci-Angler is not bad, get yourself the forward taper floating line, nice casting line and good for the Vaal as well.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

If you end up buying bits and pieces, I found a reel at a fishing shop just off Hendrik Potgieter for R65, and it includes a spare spool. It seems to be a decent reel for the cash.

It's got the most horrific green colour though...

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    If you end up buying bits and pieces, I found a reel at a fishing shop just off Hendrik Potgieter for R65, and it includes a spare spool. It seems to be a decent reel for the cash.

It's got the most horrific green colour though...
    To match a sage rod!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

For most of us after buying a Sage, we would only have about R60 left for a reel, so that was probably their thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    For most of us after buying a Sage, we would only have about R60 left for a reel, so that was probably their thinking.
    Good one, enjoyed that sharp reply.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Werner - can you explain this to me a bit please? I'm not sure I'm following your thoughts here. Thanks.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

It's cause we're not fishing for fish the size of toy cars here Mario Just kidding

Ok, let me try and explain this:

The number one thing catching buses is to get it in and back in the water as soon as possible. This is much easier with a 6 weight than a 5 correct?

When you become more experienced you can easily get the same fish out with a 5 weight on the same tippet in the same amount of time. If you are inexperienced and you are fishing a lighter rod, the fish is going to be so exhausted after the long fight, that you might not be able to revive him.

Hope I got that right

The number one thing catching buses is to get it in and back in the water as soon as possible. This is much easier with a 6 weight than a 5 correct?
    Not so sure I agree with that, so here goes my version ... as always, milage may vary ....

Heavier rods don't do such a great job of keeping thinner tippets intact. So generally (imho) newcomers will apply a lot LESS pressure on fish, as they are most likely too scared that they will loose the fish due to a popped tippet. That means prolonged fights, more worn out fish, which I assume is the same as "damaging" a fish?

It's a very fine line (pun not intended), that must be said. I'd go for a 5-weight personally. Get the correct rod from the outset. That will teach the user to use the tackle correctly from the word go, and also save him/her the need for another purchase later on.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast