Thread: Jozini TIGER Fishing December 2011

Default Jozini TIGER Fishing December 2011

Hi All

I wanted to share my fishing experience with all of you. If you looking for PROPER tiger fly fishing then this is the thread you want to read.

Firstly i booked my trip through www.pongolarivercompany.co.za.

We left JHB at 02:00am and arrived in Jozini at around 07:00. Our guide met us just outside Jozini and drove us to a tended camp on the immaculate Pongola river. The drive from jozini to the camp took about 45min on dirt road. It is recommended to have a 4x4 or a good SUV. The farm roads aren’t the best but i recon with careful driving, you could get there with a golf chico....lol

We unpacked (8.3min) and were ready waiting to fish (we looked like 2 kids waiting for the tuck shop to open) LOL......

The guide arranged for two rubber kayaks and off we went. We had no idea what was in store for us. We floated down the river for about 20km and all along the way we stopped of at these pristine pools, teaming with tigers.....we were then picked up down river and brought back to camp.

Hot showers waited us, and a hot meal washed down with cold beers. We spent 6 days at the camp each in our own tent. We woke up every morning at 05:30, had breakfast and either went up 20km and floated down or we went down 20km and came back to camp. You can opt to sleep on the river(perfectly safe). They guides pack everything into the kayak and setup camp along the river.

There are no crocodiles or hippos in the river. The water quality is CLEAR and drinkable. There are numerous fishing spots and the scenery is just PERFECT!

Our guides were amazing. they are locals to Jozini and they know every part of the river. They even give fly fishing lessons and you can buy locally made flys for R20 each. Each Kayak gets a guide, or you can opt to row your own boat (grrrrr----NO)

I didn’t want to leave......it is the BEST tiger fishing experience anyone can have.

COSTS

R750 per day - fully catered
    R500 per day - self catering

If anyone wants to go again but doesn’t want go alone, drop me a line, ill go with you!!!!

You might see a couple of spinning rods....grrrr but we quickly lost the rods and opted for fly rods......the owner has also stipulated that no spinning will be allowed and i agree with him....

enjoy - i certainly did!!!!!!
    Last edited by adixion; 17-01-12 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add taggs

Great report, sounds and looks amazing!!

Also looks like you guys had a ton of fun
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Bucket list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

This is defenatly on my to do list for the year!! Great report! And nice fish
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

thanks for the report, looks fanatstic

mmmm, would my wife like it ?

Nice report but I'd be very wary of the "no crocs or hippos" duffy. There are spans of them a few km's up river and just as many a few km down river...
    Check your knots!

You HAVE TO have a fly rod in your mouth to prove they were caught on fly

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Caught fish on my ''dick'' want to mouth that???? Dont be ''cocky''.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Hi

here is a pic of me with my first tiger on fly....the spinning rod was tossed after this catch....

This trip looks amazing !!! Have to go !!
    Some GOOD fish well done and thanks for all the info !
    have rod , will travel . . .