View Poll Results: Do I report the dams to water affairs?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 83.33%
  • No

1 3.33%
  • Who cares

4 13.33%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Holsloot Dam

Don't you do that already?
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    This might be biting the hand that feeds us. I suggest we discuss at next committee meeting as opposed to throwing it open to mob justice on FlyBrawl.
    btw, other than allowing his guests and staff to take as many fish as they like out the river, this particular farmer does not 'feed' us in any way.
    Yes they do control access via the gate, but if the worst comes to the worst, they have no option but to let us through as its cape nature water we are fishing.
    Regards
    Craig

Problem is one person on their own cannot deal with this. Your voice is easily ignored and pushed aside. But not sure what can be done. Contact the local agri. union? Highlight the issues there and with CNC.
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    justice on FlyBrawl.
    Brilliant !!!
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    btw, other than allowing his guests and staff to take as many fish as they like out the river, this particular farmer does not 'feed' us in any way.
    Yes they do control access via the gate, but if the worst comes to the worst, they have no option but to let us through as its cape nature water we are fishing.
    That's what we thought about Lakensvlei and now we are paying for access. Easy enough to start charging a fee or simply forget to load the cell numbers into the gate access. Lets discuss at the meeting.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

The 'farm' is trying to become a freaking Aventura resort or something! I expect to see the start of construction of a Holsloot super tube soon... Who cares when the sea is too big at Monwabisi when we can all go swim at our new river resort! Eish
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

you now have to pay for access to Lakensvlei? How does that affect us as members?

Also - not so sure that "We don't want to bite the hand that feeds us" is a good argument at all. You're basically saying "Well if i report him, he cuts me off, so i actually don't care what he does because it hurts me if i do the right thing", in other words "Only worry about the state of the river if it doesn't harm my fishing opportunities".
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    you now have to pay for access to Lakensvlei? How does that affect us as members?
    It means we now pay R6000/year for something that we used to get for free. In the current state of the economy we are not exactly overflowing with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Also - not so sure that "We don't want to bite the hand that feeds us" is a good argument at all. You're basically saying "Well if i report him, he cuts me off, so i actually don't care what he does because it hurts me if i do the right thing", in other words "Only worry about the state of the river if it doesn't harm my fishing opportunities".
    So let me try and understand your argument, you would be happy to lose access to fishing the river in order to feel good about doing what you think is the right thing? And you are off course sure that a couple of small dams lower down the river where the temps are pretty marginal for trout anyway, will have an effect on the upper reaches? What about the dams providing cooler water for the trout to survive in? What about the dams providing a place for fish to grow larger and then have them move up the river? I am off course sucking my thumb here but then so are you. My point was let's discuss it at the committee meeting and decide on a course of action for the club to take. We do have people like Ed who are on very good terms with the Stofbergs. We also have people like Andy who may be able to provide some more scientific insight into what effect the dams might have. If you, Craig and others would prefer an all guns blazing approach then by all means don't let me stop you.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I vote, form a posse and go m0er the farmer.
    Come on, you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    The farmer at Dwarsberg keeps putting up wiers and dams in the river on his property. This is illegal as new inline dams have been banned.
    My concern is that this will affect the fishing, in that it will prevent the movement of fish up and down the river, and warm up the water.
    Perhaps on the positive side it could stop bass from moving up.

Do you think I should report these dams to water affairs or not?
    Add to that that the river will change from a freestone stream to sand bottom in the space of about 3 years. I have seen it on my favourite yellowfish small stream. People dam up the river with rocks to swim. 3 years later it has completely silted up. This in turn provides very little structure for insects to live in and very soon you have a river with very few bugs. The fish then either go upstream or downstream to find a more favourable environment. The impact of wiers is often devastating and should be stopped.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast