Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Easy flies for beginners

So this thread has been dormant for a while and its holidays so here is the next sbs.

Diawl Bach
    It is probably the best stillwater nymph ever made. In my mind it beats a hares ear hands down but that is another discussion. There are many variations of this fly. I have seen them with cheeks or jungle cock or hot biot, I have seen the made with pheasant tail and I have seen them with hot orange or hot pink tags. No Doubt all of these will be outstanding flies but I find that the most basic version (tied here) is the most versatile and effective.

Hook: #16, 14, 12 down eye
    Thread: Black/brown/red.
    Tail: Dark brown hackle fibres
    Body: 3 strands of peacock hearl
    Rib: copper wire/flash
    throat: same as tail.

Step 1: Start the thread.

IMG_8391.jpg

Step 2: Tie in the tail then the copper wire then the peacock hearl

IMG_8394.jpg

Step 3: Twist the peacock hearl in your fingers and wrap toward the eye of the hook. You can use hackle pliers for this should that be easier for you. Tie in behind the eye.

IMG_8397.jpg

Step 4: Wind the copper wire forward in the opposite way to the way you wrapped the peacock hearl ie. if the peacock hearl was wrapped clockwise wrap the copper wire anti-clockwise. Tie in behind the eye.

IMG_8401.jpg

Step 5: Turn the fly upside down and tie in the hackle fibres behind the eye and facing back. With a very fine pointy pare of scissors cut off the excess and make sure that the eye is clear. Whip finish and glue the head.

IMG_8406.jpg

Step 6: Go fish

A photo of a variation next to the one tied here.

IMG_8407.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dtayl13; 26-03-13 at 10:16 AM.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Subscribed...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5