Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Belman in Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Sean Mills regularly caught bellman at the Strand pavilion, a couple of years ago.
    maybe give him a call.
    Thanks Korrie,

I give him a call...
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Default corbina

Check out this website:

http://alquattrocchi.wordpress.com/about/

Al Quattrocchi has written numerous articles on corbina, the long lost relative of the belman. The difference between the two is that it's not uncommon to spot 50 corbina in the shallows on a LA beach. Check out the photo gallery on his blog, there's a photo of a school of corbina in the shallows with surfers and swimmers behind it. Crazy! To think that belman also used to be this plentiful is just heart breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    Thanks Korrie,

I give him a call...
    Let us know if he did Flubber... Im keen to target these fish. Actually discussed it with Jannie last week.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

bump ...........................
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Saw one ( or not ) caught on sardine once. My mate reeled in to re bait and there it was, the belman. No bite or pull.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Belman on fly? Seriously I don't know why you would waste your time. There are not many even caught on bait in the Cape these days, never mind fly! Romance the idea sure but what next? Let's go target banded galjoen on fly too. And Walton thought there weren't enough years available in a man's life to justify wasting time trying to catch carp- would have loved to hear his views regarding this!
    Last edited by KevinC; 22-03-12 at 09:50 PM.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Belman on fly? Seriously I don't know why you would waste your time. There are not many even caught on bait in the Cape tconsiderwhese days, never mind fly! Romance the idea sure but what next? Let's go target banded galjoen on fly too. And Walton thought there weren't enough years available in a man's life to justify wasting time trying to catch carp- would have loved to hear his views regarding this!
    That's the attraction. Would love a banded galjoen. And a red steenbras. And a belman. A
    Why would you want to chase easy fish? To me the point of swoffing is catching fish considered to be challenging or impossible.

If permit were as easy to catch as bass they wouldnt hold the same prestige.

And ya, many people told me not to waste my time on grunter ("impossible"?) . I was also told to not waste time on farquhar permit by a certain guide co. I almost got three.

And pretty sure people told Arno not to waste his time with milks. being able to trail blaze pr discover something new in a sport as old as fly fishing is everything.

Don't think Baardman would be a mission to catch in terms of fooling them. Its the numbers that are the problem. Its like targeting pompano in PE- they are there but good luck finding the day when one will actually see your fly! Grunter, milkies etc all give ample opportunities to have flies presented- Bellies in FB?

Good luck! I have no doubt you have the talent dude, the true test will be finding a Bellie to be amazed by it...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I have seen a number of Belman caught in the gullys off the beach at Arniston and even caught myself. If I was chasing them, that's where I'd start. They still seem to be plentiful in that region. You'll also get a lot of Dassie - in fact, they'll probably be a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Grunter, milkies etc all give ample opportunities to have flies presented- Bellies in FB? )
    Just wondering how many times you have cast to a grunter, or a milk, or a permit?

One of the hardest parts of catching milks outside of Alphonse and permit anywhere is that they are difficult to find. It's one of the biggest challenges in catching them.
    Last edited by fdavis; 23-03-12 at 08:07 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast