Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sight of fish in the Vaal

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I would have thought noise would be a factor. especially Herman vale shuffle:-)
    I have seen Herman catching big fish right after a swim, maybe its one of his secret tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I've also seen big yellows swim around my feet when standing still for a while. That's when you wish for a 1/2 foot rod...

Vaal/Yellowfish specific: what do you guys think is the best colour clothing to wear? The norm is some form of camo/khaki/olive (fly vests), but if a fish looks up at you, will white/light blue not be better? Or do you think clothing is irrelevant?
    I wouldnt suggest wearing blue anywhere that has a significant population of simulidae.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I wouldnt suggest wearing blue anywhere that has a significant population of simulidae.
    Whats that in human language? steekvlieg? How come?

Black flies. I hear what Dave is saying but blue is sooo current!

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Whats that in human language? steekvlieg? How come?
    Yes, "black flies" as we know them are part of the Simulidae family and are particularly attracted to blue.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Yes, "black flies" as we know them are part of the Simulidae family and are particularly attracted to blue.
    Why wear blue to attract them? Rather then: Why would you want to attract black flies?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Werner, Jocko said don't wear them, it attracts Black flies!!! I said I like Blue shirts and I don't mind the flies.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Why wear blue to attract them? Rather then: Why would you want to attract black flies?
    to chum the fish in the vaal.

PS. make sure you take a fly swatter with.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Sorry, lees soos my gat
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Over the years I have formed a theory.

In skinny / thin, or very clear water the fish will see you long before you see it, unless you use ultimate stealth, staying low, or hidden by some structure.

When fishing water thigh deep or less, most of your body weight is supported by your feet. You therefore walk " heavy", knocking over or rolling rocks, bumping into stuff and stumbling, no matter how slowly you wade.

When in waste deep or deeper water, the water is supporting your body weight, and you literally tip toe over the rocks. This leads to less noise as well as the fish not being able to see you. Also if you do loose your footing in that depth you don't fall, you just sit down, untill you find your feet again.

There again I have often seen Rory move to a good looking thigh to waist deep spot and then have the patience to stay there. By staying dead still in the same spot for 10+ minutes, it appears that the any fish spooked on his approach come back to their preferred lies. It must work because his catch record speaks for it's self.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2