Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sight of fish in the Vaal

Default Sight of fish in the Vaal

Searching the forum I was surprised that this specific subject has not been discussed before in it's own right.

Considering all the general knowledge on fish seeing us before we see them, how does this pertain to the Vaal, considering the generally poor visibility of the Vaal, do the fish actually see us or is all they have to go on, our feet banging on the rocks while wading and perhaps, a shadow or two?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

I would have thought noise would be a factor. especially Herman vale shuffle:-)
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Werner it is very significant. Just because we can't see them doesn't mean they can't see us, especially when fishing skinny water.

On one particular occasion fishing at Eendekuil i was fishing a shallow run with slightly deeper pockets throughout, and getting no luck and could see no fish in front of me. At one stage i got on my knees for a short while, still fishing, and was fishing the same run, and started getting takes and hooking fish. They were there all along but were aware of me being there when i was standing up. As soon as i knelt down they became more confident to feed.

When fishing Nationals competitions on the vaal our team all had kneepads and it was often apparent how fishing in the proximity of people that could not kneel as long as we could, we were able to be more succesful and this really helped to level the playing field with the local guys.

I have even had cases in clearer water when i have been kneeling, and have turned around to see a couple of yellows sitting in the slack water i was creating without being fussed by me, until i tried to get a fly to them. I am pretty sure that if i was standing they would not be that happy to be that close to me.

The ability to stay low while fishing the vaal for extended periods will definately get you into more fish.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Interesting post and very very difficult to really respond to.
    There are two things that comes to mind:
    I have had yellowfish swim between my legs whilst fishing. I've had yellows take my point fly right next to me whilst releasing another yellow caught on the top fly.

There were also instances where I would spot lots of yellows but even approaching them slowly they would scatter.

In clear water, and shallow water yellows tend to be very skittish. It seems that when the water is a little discoloured they really dont give a damn and would swim right up next to you.

My advice. Always approach with stealth and stay low - you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    I've had yellows take my point fly right next to me whilst releasing another yellow caught on the top fly.
    that must've been either very cool or very annoying

i'd like to know about this too. I'm guessing that they dont just rely on sight though, that other forms of sensory feedback would be a factor too. but perhaps sight is prominent, so when thats impaired by low water clarity, they're at a disadvantage. i guess that too, could make them more skittish or less skittish?

i dunno, i'll quit rambling now and go have that morning coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

I agree with whats being said. Although stealthy movements are the way to go, I have still caught fish many a times when stumbling around a bit. Interesting thread. I have wondered about this before at times when i'm catching nothing in a obviously good spot and made to much noise upon arrival.

In Christiana I sat on a rock having a smoke and a yellow pulled in next to me, I sat there for alomost 10 min watching it chow. Later I tried to drift my fly down to it but the big movement spooked it.

It was fun and I realised that I need to move more quietly.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

I've also seen big yellows swim around my feet when standing still for a while. That's when you wish for a 1/2 foot rod...

Vaal/Yellowfish specific: what do you guys think is the best colour clothing to wear? The norm is some form of camo/khaki/olive (fly vests), but if a fish looks up at you, will white/light blue not be better? Or do you think clothing is irrelevant?
    Last edited by BenzoV; 27-01-12 at 07:47 AM.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I've also seen big yellows swim around my feet when standing still for a while. That's when you wish for a 1/2 foot rod...

Vaal/Yellowfish specific: what do you guys think is the best colour clothing to wear? The norm is some form of camo/khaki/olive (fly vests), but if a fish looks up at you, will white/light blue not be better? Or do you think clothing is irrelevant?
    Definitely 2 tone khaki shirts when fishing close to the Vanderbijl area..

Quote Originally Posted by flyfanatic View Post
    definitely 2 tone khaki shirts when fishing close to the vanderbijl area.. :d
    :d:d:d:d:d

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast