Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Qwantani Resort (Sterkfontein) - fishing rules

Thumbs down Qwantani Resort (Sterkfontein) - fishing rules

I was horrified when I noticed this in the resort guide in the chalets, see attached.

Obviously, there are a few issues here. An extract from my e-mail to Coffee James:

"...
    Complaints:
    Fishing rules:

I have to question certain of the RULES as found in the Resort Guide placed in each chalet, specifically the following:

- Rule 8: Min. size of yellowfish 30cm! Thus Largemouth yellowfish (a Vulnerable Species ito the TOPS and NEMBA regulations) can also be kept if >30cm? FS license states LM yellowfish MUST be catch-and-release.
    - Rule 9: 10 Yellowfish can be kept per person per day! FS license states MAX 2!
    - Rule 5: Max 3 rods per person! Refer to FS license as various conditions must be applied. Normally max 2 rods, even in any competition.
    - No mention that anglers must be in possession of a valid Free-State recreational angling license?

I have attached a copy of my FS license for your reference with regards to what the provincial legislation state in this regard.

I sincerely hope that Qwantani Management will consider changing these rules in the interest of protecting our indigenous yellowfish species.

There is no mention about fishing the rivers / streams during spawning time in the rules?
    ... "

I will post feedback, should I receive any, in this thread.

PS: I neglected to mention in my e-mail the wonderful sewerage smell that hangs around the launch site and the 'liquid effluent" running down the hill onto the launch ramp and into the dam; it seems the septic toilet directly above the launch site might be overflowing ...

FlyFanatic Banned User

WTF?! So there goes the final frontier for yellowfishing..

We must remember that these licences were set up for bait fishermen.At ***lfontein dam there are mainly colourds that fish and the majority have licences.They also do adhere to the bag limit for yellows.I think we cant take away the fact that there are people who fish to eat and that must also be looked at.
    I do however think that a place like sterkies should have some sort of "add on" to legislation regarding yellowfish.I have seen the subsistance guys there hauling out more than the allowed amount of yellows (next to the quarry) and nothing is done.But if we jump the fence to catch and release we are frowned apon.
    Until there is visible policing of our waters (which wont happen soon) things will never change.

Well done Barend. I've never actually read or seen the fishing rules. Will be more vigilent in November.

I don't think this is the final frontier anymore $$$ have found the place and we are getting bad reviews of some of the guiding services. The bass fisherman are obsiously also stocking the final frontier with their sheit.

I'm doing a check next weekend on the littering. First trip in Nov most spots were clean - wind and fire. And I'm talking fly fishing only boat access spots.

I know, its shocking. We spoke to the Manager, as they had a sign up also.
    They took that down but have not rectified this yet

Guys & Gals,

I'm being Devil's Advocate here, so don't shoot me.

Qwantani is a RESORT, with fairly expensive accommodation, which happens to be located on the banks of a beutifull Dam in amazing countryside.

Their main clientiel are the those people who can afford a break away, with the Speed boat or 3 x Jetski's.

I am sure that f/f are probably one of their lowest priorities.

If it was a venue like Eastco or Oord Nebo, which are normally frequented by many f/f I would say shame.

It all comes back to the old adage, "If you don't like it here, then move on. "

Qwantani would not be there if it had to rely on fishermen.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Guys & Gals,

I'm being Devil's Advocate here, so don't shoot me.

Qwantani is a RESORT, with fairly expensive accommodation, which happens to be located on the banks of a beutifull Dam in amazing countryside.

Their main clientiel are the those people who can afford a break away, with the Speed boat or 3 x Jetski's.

I am sure that f/f are probably one of their lowest priorities.

If it was a venue like Eastco or Oord Nebo, which are normally frequented by many f/f I would say shame.

It all comes back to the old adage, "If you don't like it here, then move on. "

Qwantani would not be there if it had to rely on fishermen.
    Herman, I agree, BUT, no matter who the clients are their 'RULES' are $hit and they need to address the matter. To my knowledge the provincial rules must apply, unless I am mistaken and they are overruled by some permit, assuming day visitors buy a permit of sorts; according to reception we didn't need FS licenses... which I also do not agree with.

Various of these issues are being taken up at various forums next week thanx to one of the forum members who responded via PM.

DWA have also been asked to check out the alleged sewerage seeping from the septic.

If we say nothing, nothing will change.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post

If we say nothing, nothing will change.
    "Like"

Default AWESOME - Qwantani

"
    Good Morning Barend.

Many thanks for your email regarding the above and I regret the delay in getting a reply to you. Your kind compliments contained therein are greatly appreciated and have been passed on to the staff concerned. With regard to the labour problem this was totally out of our control. The frustration and inconvenience caused to you and your fellow anglers is deeply regretted and in lieu thereof I have no hesitation in offering you a complimentary weekend at the resort at a time suitable to yourself and of course depending on availability. I am currently updating our fishing rules as per your recommendation and will forward you a copy upon completion thereof. With regards to the ostrich problem. These have already been removed of the property into a neighbouring paddock and I am awaiting a game capture unit to remove them to a farm in warden.
    Kind Regard
    Coffee James"

Well done COFFEE JAMES & Qwantani

Great response and customer service!
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast