12 5.74%
  • Soft Hackles

5 2.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The fly that so far has caught me the most SM Yellows is:

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    eish boet ... with the flows as high as they are? it's not looking good
    If you are entering the Vaal where it's pretty deep already, it's okay...the deeper pools are not as effected as the rapids and faster sections. 71 cumecs is pretty hairy in the rapids though...just have to be careful.

Maybe largescale yellows is a good option...like the Magalies river perhaps (place like Barbus Haven). Light tackle, great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    TB-Hot-wire nymph
    That's a nice looking fly. Very similar to the Hot-Spot-Rot nymph at least in the biot around the body. Have you got a better picture or tying sequence for that ?

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    TB-Hot-wire nymph
    Aye man, great minds think alike. I tie something thats look very similar, and it WORKS.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I swear by the Mustard caddis a.k.a Ultra Rock Worm. See for your self. Whenever fishing is slow I resort to one of these and it has never failed me. It has also taken some of my largest fish. The Brassie would be on the same page.

My experience on the Vaal has proven that yellow or any relative tone to it is definitely the dominant colour of choice on the abdomen and a brown on the thorax.
    Then there is the #16 GRHE + flashback tied with orange thread which I learnt from a very competent FF on this site and it has taken me 3 of my biggest Sm.

I'm not saying this is the sh!t that stinks, I'm was merely making an observation
    No PAIN No Gain

I know the fly you speak of Nympho, I have heard its quite a taker of fish.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Yea! at first I was thinking, too much orange and way too unnatural compared to the life forms found on the rocks in the riffles. I fished it a couple of times and I must say I was convinced by the 4th fish. So how would one brand this puppy? Imatative cross attractor?
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Yea! at first I was thinking, too much orange and way too unnatural compared to the life forms found on the rocks in the riffles. I fished it a couple of times and I must say I was convinced by the 4th fish. So how would one brand this puppy? Imatative cross attractor?
    I guess, but I'm going with 'the bomb'
    Daryl Human

I agree on it being 'the bomb' but that sounds a bit baity to me. Like Czech Nymphing is refered to as 'dipping', now - use those two in the same sentence 'dipping the bomb' sounds skew to me?
    No PAIN No Gain

Hi guys. I am curious to see the outcome of the poll, but in the same breath, I don't wish to be pretentious by casting my vote, as I have not yet had the good fortune to fish for SM yellows. So, I will take a calculated guess at a fly that I think would work and cast my vote. I hope I don't stuff up the stats too much
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

seems I didn't make too bad a choice.........I see that some of the top names on here chose the same fly............as for the rest of you...LOSERS! (kidding)
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast