Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: not recommended - the venue eliminator thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    Thanks Brandon, me neither, but it is an alternative for a quick session around here, besides once there you forget about the city, beginners might just find the carp and small scales a tad tough at first.
    Yeah you're right, these venues can be tough sometimes. I find thier prices rediculous though. I would rather spend that and drive 200 clicks to venues that appeal to me and releasing fish(trout anyway) is an option. But thats just me, don't have an issue with any venue really, as long as they support the art of flyfishing.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post

I have even included a pic for humpy, i just know how he loves a rod in the mouth pose...........
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/attac...3&d=1330497033
    That's not a rimshot - This is a rimshot! And it includes the Pushing the arms FAAAR shot/Rimshot combo.
    The fish was to priceless not to use ALL the known photo techniques.

I even removed the plastic from my cork for less reflection of the flash and removed my false teeth.
    When I was done I gave the others in my party an opportunity to pose with the same fish, and same rod, in the mouth, without plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redhumpy; 29-02-12 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    That's not a rimshot - This is a rimshot! And it includes the Pushing the arms FAAAR shot/Rimshot combo.

I even removed the plastic from my cork for less reflection of the flash and removed my false teeth.
    When I was done I gave the others in my party an opportunity to pose with the same fish, and same rod, in the mouth, without plastic.
    must be quite the sensitive rod you have there humpy... LOL. probably THE smallest fish i've ever seen caught with a rod, must be some kinda record.

i must say that i'm starting to understand the dislike for tiny stock dams, but the pics of kloofzicht are actually quite appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

The fish was a little bit longer than my two middle fingers wide, have a ruler and check - about 45mm. Hooked him twice actually, the gape of the hook was in the mouth, out the side and back in the other side!

When I released him I swam next to him for 3km's to make sure he is OK and will survive the ordeal.

Must be getting good as only newbies catch big fish

Shows you what an 11ft sensitive rod can do - Nê Korrie!

The reason I mentioned Kloofzicht as a waste of time is 'cos number one, it's not that safe anymore...last year people were attacked in their chalet. Probably an isolated incident, but still...saying it's a "safe" venue is not really true. Okay, maybe safer than other spots, but ja...
    Also, the last time I was there the charge was R140 for the day, to fish. That's a TAD steep. The fish were stocked big already (you can see that in your pics too Andre, those are stocked trout with horrible tails). The ones I caught looked the same. Then you had lots of people aorund you, picniking, kids running around screaming (you have to watch your casting so one of them don't run into a wooly bugger going at a rate of knots), etc. Not really "tranquil".... Maybe in the dead of winter it would be better, but then only very early morning, and last light. Less bloody people running about or making noize.
    One thing I did enjoy was targetting the carp and the bass in the lower dams, that wasn't too bad. And the largescales in the river of course.
    But out of say about 8 times I have been there, I only really had about two days of really good fishing. So to me, it's a bit of a waste, would rather travel a bit further and have some really decent trout fishing or yellowfishing.

For a quick fix, and if you don't mind paying that amount, plus know you may bleed perhaps...it's okay.

The fish was a little bit longer than my two middle fingers wide, have a ruler and check - about 45mm.

That fish let's my 60mm Shortspine Suckermouth look like a beast.....

Oh i see the blank must be in the mouth, i was under the impression it should be the cork, thats why you shouldnt take the plastic off so that you can wipe the Escherichia coli off first, just one thing when doing the faaar extended forearm shot you should angle the head towards the camera, will make that fish look much longer, will add at least a kg to the estimation.

Your skills must be improving with catches like that. I would have battled not to swim that fish out live for a Lm for the skottel.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The reason I mentioned Kloofzicht as a waste of time is 'cos number one, it's not that safe anymore...last year people were attacked in their chalet. Probably an isolated incident, but still...saying it's a "safe" venue is not really true. Okay, maybe safer than other spots, but ja...
    Also, the last time I was there the charge was R140 for the day, to fish. That's a TAD steep. The fish were stocked big already (you can see that in your pics too Andre, those are stocked trout with horrible tails). The ones I caught looked the same. Then you had lots of people aorund you, picniking, kids running around screaming (you have to watch your casting so one of them don't run into a wooly bugger going at a rate of knots), etc. Not really "tranquil".... Maybe in the dead of winter it would be better, but then only very early morning, and last light. Less bloody people running about or making noize.
    One thing I did enjoy was targetting the carp and the bass in the lower dams, that wasn't too bad. And the largescales in the river of course.
    But out of say about 8 times I have been there, I only really had about two days of really good fishing. So to me, it's a bit of a waste, would rather travel a bit further and have some really decent trout fishing or yellowfishing.

For a quick fix, and if you don't mind paying that amount, plus know you may bleed perhaps...it's okay.
    Yes maybe i should have mentioned that i have only fished there during the week. Have never been there on a weekend, but during the week it is very “tranquil”. Like i said i am not big on trout but if i had to catch them around here i would prefer bigger stockies than a couple of gram stockies.
    Still a great venue for a quick fix and i do feel safe there opposed to most places. You need to put a bit of work in but those fat carp are really strong and good fun.

Constructive critisism should allways be welcomed I think. Try and keep things positive though.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

not on the vaal, but got this little guy while fishing for Clanwilliams on Thursday last week...

not sure of the species, but was a heck of a surprise...

any ideas what it is?

got it on a size 16 nymph in a deeper pool
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast