Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Record weight for LM yellowfish

Default Record weight for LM yellowfish

Morning
    I stumbled upon this site yesterday. Check out the record weight for largemouth yellowfish under "other methods".
    - 114lb !!!!
    That is almost incomprehensible. I would have thought them to go maybe 50-60lb.
    What do you guys think? http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/...rleyensis/show
    Streamer fishing rules!

Here are some fish in that weight range. If true that is a monster fish.

http://www.ebrocatncarp.com/news-page-June-08.html
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

John Southey, in the picture was an amazing man.
    To sit and chat to him about SM and LM yellows was great.
    His knowledge about the fish the river etc was astonishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Here are some fish in that weight range. If true that is a monster fish.

http://www.ebrocatncarp.com/news-page-June-08.html
    Bleksim!! Those fish can sommer chow a small human.
    Just show's you what lurks out there!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

In the 90's there was a Largemouth Yellowfish of 36kg in a magazine. It was an unofficial record, I am sure they can grow to 50kg

With the floods in 1988 (AFAICR) there was a massive fish kill in the river under Bloemhof dam, there were LM specimens found at the weir near Warrenton that measured 72" in length with mouths 7" in diameter.

So do the math, if a 59" specimen = ~52Kgs ... what do you get for 72" ?
    Last edited by Scythe; 08-03-12 at 12:21 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    With the floods in 1988 (AFAICR) there was a massive fish kill in the river under Bloemhof dam, there were LM specimens found at the weir near Warrenton that measured 72" in length with mouths 7" in diameter.

Jislaaik Bertu! I always wondered what size fish REALLY swim in our rivers, well this confirms that they really did get so big, at least that time. Not sure of this today..

Once heard of a catfish/barbel which got stuck in the sluice gates at the vaal dam back in the day, sounded a bit far fetched at the time, but apparently there was a picture in one of the local papers, couldnt find any info on this however.. Looking at the photos posted on this link above, well I am beginning to think that it might me true?!

I think if you really knew what size fish you share the waters with you would stop fishing and start drinking!

Once shared a rapid with one helluva barbel at Schoemans, though it was the shadow of a tree, next moment the shadow started moving and showed its head, easily 20kg+.. sh#t scary!

They are very slow growers so this is an important factor to take into consideration. I am sure in the orange there is some big ones left

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Jis imagine that. I think we will be stunned by what is out there as we speak..
    Streamer fishing rules!

I highly doubt you still get giants like that on the Vaal ... pollution is seriously detrimental to longevity, reproduction and size.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast