Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Prediction- Future SM Yellow fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    You will be surprised in the difference in pulling power between a 3 wt and a 5wt... not much difference.

... Each to his own I guess, but lighter tackl is definatly going to up the catch rate, besides, it's a lot more fun.
    I don't think a blanket statement like that will apply ... it depends on the location and the fish. Nymphing shallow water is one thing ... dry fly is a lot easier because (I believe) the fish lose the biggest part of their torque/power due to being higher up in the water column so the fight is not as technical or as intense on the terminal tackle.

Try chucking a 3WT with a streamer or damsels/pin fry/bugger'ish type flies anywhere near structure and you're going to get busted up 9 times out of 10 ... even moreso if you're fishing towards structure such as rock piles and trees. I have caugh SM up to 3.8Kgs on a 3WT with 10lb on the front and I did not like having sich a long fight and it was hard to lift a fish up from 2M deep and I was seriously concerned for the rod. A 3WT simply can't pull as hard as a 5WT ... I think that is by design

I don't like extended fights or overly tired fish, I don't think it's ethical, but that is just me, I like to hook the fish, fight it for as short as possible, land it, revive it, release it as quickly as possible and then move on to catching the next one.

In my opinion, when you start off by advocating lighter is the way of the future, all I see happening is a lot of dead fish or fish swimming around with lip bling (not to mention muddies with shiny butt piercings)

I do not agree that lighter tippets or lighter rods will increase catch rates, not even remotely true that one, you get strong fluoro with thin diameters and unless you're fishing to selective fish or pressured fish, leader diameter isn't really a concern ... especially not on the Vaal, nymphing, possibly on the Vaal while dry flying but then again mostly because a thicker tippet will change the drift of your fly, not because fish see the tippet and spook.

YMMV.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I am sticking my neck out and making a prediction about future SM yellowfish fishing.

In the next 2 to 3 years more and more fly fishers will fish with #3 rods, mostly 10" and large arbour reels, with very smooth drag. Thinner tippets and lighter weighted flies will be used

I might live in the Cape, but have spent a lot of time on the Vaal and Orange over the last 2 years, plus a trip or 2 to the Richtersveld. When targeting SM, I have almost exclusively used a #3 rod.
    You will still be taken to the cleaners by a large fish every now and again, just like with your #5 or #6, but the overall enjoyment and skill of the fly fishers will improve to land more big fish on the lighter tackle.

Do you agree or disagree
    I dont know so much - I fished my 3# exclusively this last Easter weekend with 7lb tippet. It was great fun on the small fish (under 1kg) but was outgunned on anything bigger. I actually sprained the back of my left hand from fighting fish! Who says fly fishing is not an extreme sport!

I still think a 4 to 5# is spot on with a 6 for comps and in higher flows. I do think however, that the trend will progress from the guys plonking 5.5kg Maxima down to thinner performance tippets of around 3.5-4kg though.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    I still think a 4 to 5# is spot on with a 6 for comps and in higher flows. I do think however, that the trend will progress from the guys plonking 5.5kg Maxima down to thinner performance tippets of around 3.5-4kg though.
    I agree, this is where the change will be!

Can't see anyone landing a double figure yellow on a 3wt within an acceptable time...
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I don't agree Korrie. Maybe that's what a lot of fly fishers will start doing, but it's not the RIGHT thing to do. Going anything lower than a 5wt on the Vaal/Orange/Kei/etc is really just silly.

Why? Because there is ALWAYS the chance of hooking a trophy fish (3, 4 or even 5kg plus) and then with a p1ssy little 3wt and light tippet you have already lost before the fight starts, especially if you are in fast rapids. Yeah sure MAYBE you will stand a chance in deeper slower water, with no obstructions, etc...but in general you want the power to turn the fish quickly, turn him away from obstructions, and also land him as quick as possible to ensure a quick release, to maximise the fish's chances of survival. We all know (hopefully) that the longer the fight, the more lactic acid builds up in the fish's muscles which can be detrimental to it's health.
    It may be "great fun" to play a fish for a long time on light tackle...but it's NOT good for the fish, bottom line.

You might be fishing and only picking up small fish...then the 3wt is okay...then suddenly a really big strong fish picks your fly up and then you need the 5wt's extra power. No-one wants to lose that fish of a lifetime...and everyone should be trying to minimise the fight time to ensure the fish's safe release.

Advocating going lighter and lighter tackle for smallmouth is just really bad advice.

Heck, I've been smoked by big fish on a 5wt and 4X tippet (the minimum I go when fishing places where big fish may be) so a 3wt would have been stupid. We've even picked up largies while nymphing for smallmouth, up to 3kg...then I certainly do not want a 3wt in hand OR a very light tippet.

I am not saying; recomend it but the point or prediction Corrie is trying to make is that are anglers in future going to target bigger smallmouth on light tackle.....and the answer is yes they will. I don't advise it, I don't practice it but am admitting that I have done it and yes it is fun. But it is advisable to get some skill behind you if one is going doing it, knowing there are big fish around

Light tackle tactics have been growing over many years, no stopping it, its out there and people want to try it and are going to.

And saying its wrong and you must not, is not going to work but educating correct methods on light tackle/big fishing will prevail, then conservative feellings on it will kick in and it would be up to the angler to decide if going light is the most feasable thing to do. Hope it makes sense?
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I don't think a blanket statement like that will apply ... it depends on the location and the fish. Nymphing shallow water is one thing ... dry fly is a lot easier because (I believe) the fish lose the biggest part of their torque/power due to being higher up in the water column so the fight is not as technical or as intense on the terminal tackle.

Try chucking a 3WT with a streamer or damsels/pin fry/bugger'ish type flies anywhere near structure and you're going to get busted up 9 times out of 10 ... even moreso if you're fishing towards structure such as rock piles and trees. I have caugh SM up to 3.8Kgs on a 3WT with 10lb on the front and I did not like having sich a long fight and it was hard to lift a fish up from 2M deep and I was seriously concerned for the rod. A 3WT simply can't pull as hard as a 5WT ... I think that is by design

I don't like extended fights or overly tired fish, I don't think it's ethical, but that is just me, I like to hook the fish, fight it for as short as possible, land it, revive it, release it as quickly as possible and then move on to catching the next one.

In my opinion, when you start off by advocating lighter is the way of the future, all I see happening is a lot of dead fish or fish swimming around with lip bling (not to mention muddies with shiny butt piercings)

I do not agree that lighter tippets or lighter rods will increase catch rates, not even remotely true that one, you get strong fluoro with thin diameters and unless you're fishing to selective fish or pressured fish, leader diameter isn't really a concern ... especially not on the Vaal, nymphing, possibly on the Vaal while dry flying but then again mostly because a thicker tippet will change the drift of your fly, not because fish see the tippet and spook.

YMMV.
    I agree, a blankt statement like this , doesn't apply, but then, I wasn't making a blanket statement. Of course big flies etc etc, but then you use a heavier rod. I spoke specifically about small flies, and lighter tippets, which would break much easier with a heavier rod. It's like the long leader approach.... not the bnew panacea, but a new and effective tactic consider when you need it. I have often in the past struggled to catch yellowfish, and after stepping the fly size and the tippetts down, had much more success. It's just another way, and if Korries predictions are tru, a way that is going to become more popular.
    My yellowfishing started with a 6 wt, I moved to a 5wt, and now all my yellowfishing is done almost exclusively with rods from 2 to 4 wt, with 6 pound tippets being my absolute heaviest. Very very rarely in recent years have I gone heavier, except when targatting largemouth, and using heavier flies.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    I am not saying; recomend it but the point or prediction Corrie is trying to make is that are anglers in future going to target bigger smallmouth on light tackle.....and the answer is yes they will. I don't advise it, I don't practice it but am admitting that I have done it and yes it is fun. But it is advisable to get some skill behind you if one is going doing it, knowing there are big fish around

Light tackle tactics have been growing over many years, no stopping it, its out there and people want to try it and are going to.

And saying its wrong and you must not, is not going to work but educating correct methods on light tackle/big fishing will prevail, then conservative feellings on it will kick in and it would be up to the angler to decide if going light is the most feasable thing to do. Hope it makes sense?
    Nice post. Good objective apprach to the subject.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post

Thanks, well said.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Kewl Korrie! Apologies got your name wrong in the thread (Corrie)

Best advice for light tackle on the Vaal......TEAM WORK
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

According the photo the fish had a fork of 27" caught on a 0 weight.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast