Thread: Niekerkshoop

Default Niekerkshoop

Hi guys , i'm not usre if any of you guy read the article a few months ago about fishing the orange river near Prieska? it was in the FlyFishing magazine written by one of the juniors in my team . Before our nationals last year , we planned to fish on the orange for a few days . we booked a little house in a place called Niekerkshoop in the middle of no where . when we arrived we were a bit nervous as this house didn't have half the security that my house in joburg has . we wanted to see what the water was like and grabbed our stuff and rushed off . the first farm was about 20 minutes drive . our first feeling of the river was horrible , until the first fish came out . on our drive back we saw kudu (that are seen as problem animals )and alot of roadkill(fly tying) the next morning we set out early to the same farm and all i can say is wow . the fishing was amazing ! not many fish over 3kg but plenty of fish around 1.5ks . the next day we moved on to the next farm that had a massive rapid , with endless supply of yellows . we had a great day with some solid fish caught . We returned the next day to the first farm and this was our last day . we walked to see if we could find any good looking water and found some istantly . We even had a chance of fishing dry . our last afternoon was something special , monsters head and tailing . two of the juniors chose to sleep while the most unexperienced junior and myself carried on in the deeper water . i took a largie on a czech nymphs and broke my record smallie . The other junior Ricky pulled out his biggest yellow to date 3.5kg smallie . While catching 'small fish' inbetween . what an amazing trip . if anyone wants some contact details about this area feel free to PM or visit the fishing owl website .
    Craig

Great report back.

Is this venue open to the public?

it is . but you have to book a while in advance . That area is very rural . there is camping available but its very basic and i would advise that you take your own water .

Craig