Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in Tasmania

Default Fishing in Tasmania

Anyone fished these waters and can provide related experiences and helpfull info?

I will be visiting family in Hobart from 22 Oct - 5 Nov 12.

Looking at fishing rivers, estuaries and lastly lakes.

Regards
    Last edited by Jacaranda; 25-04-12 at 08:02 PM.
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman
    Jacaranda Fly Fishing Club
    Email: jacarandaflyfishers@icon.co.za
    Web: jffc

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaranda View Post
    Anyone fished these waters and can provide related experiences and helpfull info?

I will be visiting family in Hobart from 22 Oct - 5 Nov 12.

Looking at fishing rivers, estuaries and lastly lakes.

Regards
    We were up north for the Commonwealth's in Feb, so did not get to fish near Hobart, but check out the Tyenna river - massive brownies, very high fish density and near Hobart. (wanted to fish this but was not similar to any competition water and a multiple hour drive from where we were staying on the highlands.)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    We were up north for the Commonwealth's in Feb, so did not get to fish near Hobart, but check out the Tyenna river - massive brownies, very high fish density and near Hobart. (wanted to fish this but was not similar to any competition water and a multiple hour drive from where we were staying on the highlands.)
    Thanks for the info Gary.

Will find out more and pursue the trip
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman

Roy, PM Chris Williams
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Be sure to do a bit of research on the snakes too

Your dates are actually good for polaroiding most of the lakes and fishing the flooded margins for tailing fish.

Also happens to be prime time for the sea run brown trout fishery at Henty River on the west coast - will need a 4x4 though.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Roy, PM Chris Williams
    Thanks for the info. I just sent him a PM
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    Be sure to do a bit of research on the snakes too

Your dates are actually good for polaroiding most of the lakes and fishing the flooded margins for tailing fish.

Also happens to be prime time for the sea run brown trout fishery at Henty River on the west coast - will need a 4x4 though.
    I am in a busy mode investigating all opportunities but as always hands on experiences and advice makes the road going forward less bumpy.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman

Hi Roy,

I live just across the bass straight in Melbourne. I was so stoked when we decided to come to Melbourne due to its close proximity to Tasmania and New Zealand and all the awesome fishing that I have read about... now four years down the line and I still haven't been to any of the two.

Mostly blaming work too hard for not getting enough time (as well as a SWAMBO that can't always see the reason behind travelling somewhere just for some fishing), but the trout fishing in Victoria turned out to be so fantastically good that I get more than my fare share of awesome stream fishing to satisfy at least some of the trout addiction...

I am still very keen to go down to Tassie and have accumulated a vast amount of information (books, DVDs, etc.). The best book info that I could find is one of the books written by Greg French called Trout Waters of Tasmania (ISBN: 9781 8651 3190 0 -> http://www.afn.com.au/store/advanced...f550dcdb4b6c83)

The Inland Fisheries Service of Tasmania has released stacks (I have about 25 of them) of brochures on most of the major trout destination complete with detailed maps and angler access info. Their website is: http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/ifs/

If you intend to visit Melbourne on your way past, let me know then I could take you to some of my favourite local trout rivers or just hook up for a beer and a chat.

Cheers Arno

P.S. I suggest you pack warm clothes including a proper raincoat for that time of the year as winter starts late, but stays late until at least middle October...
    P.S.S. I second that you get in contact with Chris Williams. He gave me heaps of great helpful tips before I came over. Thanks Chris!!
    It isn't essential to my enjoyment of fishing that I catch fish, only that I know there are fish in the water.

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him - is he still wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoc View Post

The best book info that I could find is one of the books written by Greg French called Trout Waters of Tasmania (ISBN: 9781 8651 3190 0 -> http://www.afn.com.au/store/advanced...f550dcdb4b6c83)

The Inland Fisheries Service of Tasmania has released stacks (I have about 25 of them) of brochures on most of the major trout destination complete with detailed maps and angler access info. Their website is: http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/ifs/

If you intend to visit Melbourne on your way past, let me know then I could take you to some of my favourite local trout rivers or just hook up for a beer and a chat.
    Hi Arno

Thanks a mil for replying and providing me plenty more reading and research. I really appreciate your assistance in this regard. I found the Inland Fisheries Service of Tasmania a very useful site with plenty info and that is exactly where I started my investigations but now you gave me more to review.

Concerning meeting up with you might seem possible as I arrive in Sydney 10:30am on my way back, overnight in Sydney and fly following morning 11:00am to SA. Maybe fishing, maybe a beer...both sound cool. Let's see what develops as time passes...things might change.

Once again thank you.
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman

Eish I just realised the distance between Sydney and Melbourne.

Could we have beer over skype
    Roy Lubbe
    Chairman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast