Thread: Kick boat / float tube on the Vaal

Default Kick boat / float tube on the Vaal

Have anyone used a kick boat or float tube on the Vaal in low flows - specifically the big pools at Eendekuil? Is it safe to do so? The flow through the pools (above and below the house) seems slow enough if you stay away from the faster water. Wouldn’t want to get caught in a flow from which I cannot kick myself free...

yes, do it often in winter. Even venues with slightly faster water (GVP) are ok, Just know the venue you will be tubing ... no problems at all
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

It is safe enough but I can't stress how important an anchor is in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simpkins View Post
    It is safe enough but I can't stress how important an anchor is in these situations.
    A properly rigged anchor... i.e. with some sort of break away line/cable tie that you can break while in your tube so the anchor comes out backwards, a quick release clip or caribeneer connecting the anchor line to your tube and a decent knife.

Even with all this I managed to snag an anchor good and proper this past weekend and couldnt pull it out even when attaching the anchor rope to my pajero, ended up snapping the 300kg rope.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simpkins View Post
    For an anchor I make use of 1 or 2 of those rubber-coated dive weights. I think they are about 1kg each. Would that suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    ... ended up snapping the 300kg rope.
    Jissie ... go big or go home huh ?

Good advice about the properly rigged anchor.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    ... i.e. with some sort of break away line/cable tie that you can break while in your tube so the anchor comes out backwards...
    Sorry, but how exactly would a break away setup like this look? Currently my anchor is directly tied to a thick rope (about 10mm), and I attach the rope to my tube using a carabiner on loops tied in the rope every 2m or so. If I have to break away from the anchor, I will have to release the Carabiner, or cut the rope.

http://reelboating.com/forums/index....akaway-anchor/
    Try this - not sure if this is what you want but this is what the ski-boaters use

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    Try this - not sure if this is what you want but this is what the ski-boaters use
    Spot on, I just use one small cable tie - you cant exactly use the power of greyskull whilst still sitting in your tube

Bertu - I had a spool of proper kernmantle rope. It's packs away smaller than that crappy plastic red and white ski-rope guys use.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    Ahhh... Makes sense.