Thread: Warm Baths - Citrusdal

Default Warm Baths - Citrusdal

Hi guys,

Going up to the warm baths this weekend, anybody know of any fishing nearby?

Cheers,
    Matt
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

From what i remember (not having been up there for a long while) most of the streams in the area have bass.

If you fish the Olifants you will get smallmouth bass and I think th occasional largemouth bass, vleikurper and stacks of bluegill. Otherwise if you head up into the mountains and find a stream about the size of upper EP there will be Clanwilliam yellows and maybe sawfins. In the little streams the average size is about 20-30cm so take a 3wt or 2wt if you feel like going to find those yellows.There is also the Rondegat which is a really nice little river. Don't use anything heavier than a 3wt there though and preferably a short one because there are lots of trees. It is full of little clanwilliam yellows of between 20 and 25cm with the occasional 35cm fish. They love woolly buggers and hares ears and I found the best fly there to be a #14 elk hair caddis tied with bleached elk hair. I haven't fished anywhere else in the area so I'm afraid thats all the info I can give.
    Last edited by dtayl13; 07-06-12 at 02:17 PM.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    If you fish the Olifants you will get smallmouth bass and I think th occasional largemouth bass, vleikurper and stacks of bluegill. Otherwise if you head up into the mountains and find a stream about the size of upper EP there will be Clanwilliam yellows and maybe sawfins. In the little streams the average size is about 20-30cm so take a 3wt or 2wt if you feel like going to find those yellows. With a bit of a drive there is sanddrif which has a horrid (silted up and bushy on the sides kind of like Holsloot but full of sand) river with lots (and I mean lots) of sawfins in maalgat. Just get permission to fish from the owners of the place. You will find one or two decent sawfins and yellows in maalgat but the small ones usually get the fly first. Surprisingly I found some other really awesome looking pools nearby but they were dead. Not sure why. With a slightly shorter drive you can get to the Rondegat which is a really nice little river. Don't use anything heavier than a 3wt there though and preferably a short one because there are lots of trees. It is full of little clanwilliam yellows of between 20 and 25cm with the occasional 35cm fish. They love woolly buggers and hares ears and I found the best fly there to be a #14 elk hair caddis tied with bleached elk hair. I haven't fished anywhere else in the area so I'm afraid thats all the info I can give.
    Thanks for the help, With all the rain on Thursday I think I will give fishing a miss this weekend
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho