Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sterkies shame

Gazzarowan on the forum said he saw 2 cruising the one day. Interesting that we do not hear of any fly fisherman having caught the odd one..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

I'm so gatvol of complaining about all the @$$holes at Sterkies fishing to spawners, leaving their litter behind, not respecting other fishermen's space, in it for a quick buck...the list goes on. And sometimes very "well respected" guiding outfitters are to blame.
    All I can say is, the next time I see something like any of the above happen I ain't going to be Mister Nice Guy anymore.
    These idiots KNOW they are doing wrong, everyone KNOWS the "unwritten rules" so in future pleading ignorance isn't going to work.

People fishing to spawners has a negligible impact on the fish at Sterkies IMO. Locals stringing gill nets across all the feeder streams when fish migrate upstream to spawn, and keeping EVERY SINGLE fish netted is what is doing the big damage. Remember, much of the spawing activity we witness on the shoreline is not successful. All it take is a change in the wind or a small storm and a whole days worth of spawning work is rendered useless. But the feeder streams are key to successful spawns on the piece of water, and that is sadly where the locals go food shopping.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

ya i saw 2 trout off the wall 2 years ago. good size fish just cruising. one came up for the dry, turned and carried on...

i reckon there are still a few trout in there, and proper big fish, but it wont last too much longer...
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    ya i saw 2 trout off the wall 2 years ago. good size fish just cruising. one came up for the dry, turned and carried on...

i reckon there are still a few trout in there, and proper big fish, but it wont last too much longer...
    Last trout I saw there was in 2008, caught on a mielie pip in front of Qwantani. Around the 1kg mark.

I have heard of trout in some of the small feeder streams though, so they must be breeding, albeit at a very limited volume.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6