Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Open Letter to Africa's Orginal Flyfishing

Default Open Letter to Africa's Orginal Flyfishing

Dear Ed,

I just picked up your August/September edition of Africa's Original Flyfishing, and while flipping through the pages, I suddenly froze on page 20. I found the picture of the Taimen lying out of the water on the riverbank absolutely appalling. Surely the fishermen/women and outfitter should know better! Being fortunate enough to have fished in Mongolia myself, and to have been lucky enough to catch a few Taimen I understand how precious a resource the Taimen is for the country as well as for the visiting angler. Whilst reading your magazine we are constantly being reminded to wet our hands before touching fish, keep it out of the water for as little time as possible, practice catch and release, etc....... This photo shows complete disregard by the angler/outfitter to a fish that is on it's way to extinction, and doesn't need any help on it's way there either. Whilst on my trip to Mongolia, all fish were landed in a net, hook removed while keeping it in the water, wet hands and lift the fish out of the water for a quick photo, then revive and release. The guides wouldn't even allow us to lift the entire fish out of the water for fear of damaging the internal organs of the fish, using the buoyancy of the water to protect the fish and to give it the best chance of survival. Surely every single angler who has invested the time, energy, and money to chase the River Wolf would not have to be told to practice safe and appropriate handling of this fish. As the editor of this magazine you have a responsibility and obligation to practice what you preach. Edit out such garbage or better yet, do not use the article at all, and perhaps send a message to the author teaching them about sustainable fishing practices.

I hear what you say,but i have not seen the article so i cant really judge but...
    If the guy was guided then surely there should have been someone around to take a photo for him and not let him lie the fish on the ground.
    If the ground that he lay the fish on is dry then shame on him,but i too have done this in all the excitement of catching a prize fish.I had nowhere to lay the fish for the shot so opted for a rock,dry and baked by the sun.Believe me its a photo i still cant believe i took and i amm sure the fish suffered or did not make it,but its not like I dont care.
    I think often emotion or elation can cloud your vision sometimes.in the case of the taimen,maybe if we knew why he did it like that we would have a different opinion,whether better or worse.

Whats going on with people these days? If they aren't protesting for the removal of the Spear, they are barricading roads so that no one should go and watch Brian's Circus. They go on and on about the ozone and global warming, but still V8 Vehicles are churned out like Traditional healer pamphlets at intersections. People even complain about the carbon footprint you leave behind and that everything must be green, you must now ride a bicycle to work, but still that guy goes home and eats the biggest steak you have ever seen.

You can't wear fur and heaven forbid that you tie flies with it. We have to be politically correct and put a guard in front of our mouths. We must stop Rhino poaching and we must find ways to save the species, but still we are importing a kazillion tons worth of junk every year from China. Oh and did you see how glad our President was when China offered us more money. He nearly broke out singing Umshini Wham, nearly!!!

We can't print e-mails cause they will have to chop down trees for paper. We have to separate garbage, bottles here, cans there and paper here. So why do they have to chop down trees if they can just recycle?

Whats next? You can't go out your house cause you will get germs? I mean really????

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Whats going on with people these days? If they aren't protesting for the removal of the Spear, they are barricading roads so that no one should go and watch Brian's Circus. They go on and on about the ozone and global warming, but still V8 Vehicles are churned out like Traditional healer pamphlets at intersections. People even complain about the carbon footprint you leave behind and that everything must be green, you must now ride a bicycle to work, but still that guy goes home and eats the biggest steak you have ever seen.

You can't wear fur and heaven forbid that you tie flies with it. We have to be politically correct and put a guard in front of our mouths. We must stop Rhino poaching and we must find ways to save the species, but still we are importing a kazillion tons worth of junk every year from China. Oh and did you see how glad our President was when China offered us more money. He nearly broke out singing Umshini Wham, nearly!!!

We can't print e-mails cause they will have to chop down trees for paper. We have to separate garbage, bottles here, cans there and paper here. So why do they have to chop down trees if they can just recycle?

Whats next? You can't go out your house cause you will get germs? I mean really????
    I hear you ET, and agree but we need to try and save what we can, where we can. Unfortunately we are all a victom of hypocrytic society!
    Its more about protecting and preserving whats left, even if we/ourselves are to blame but putting things out there (media spacifically) and basically saying......" hey everyone! Its ok, its cool, I did it why don't you do it too". Instead of just stating the facts or educating the importance of preservation, in the hopes that the message will help to a degree and someday there might actually be something left for our kids.....

Sitting back and doing nothing, watching these things happen (and thinking - " whats the point") isn't going to solve anything! But we can morse try hey and sometimes the message gets out there and actually works.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

OK - So I am going to take a picture of every forumer who drives a car more than 1800cc and name and shame them. And if you drive a bakkie or SUV don't even think of going anywhere near the river - that is disgusting! One in a million people taking out a largie is doing wayy less damage than you doing 100 000km in your Isuzu.

People wading rivers do much more damage than the bank anglers - but you dont see what is under your feet whilst wading the river.

Maybe wading should be banned if we are going to selectively choose what we are going to b1tch about. and NO, there is no such thing as "considerate" wading:biggrin:

We will all have to fish from a fishduc.Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    I hear you ET, and agree but we need to try and save what we can, where we can. Unfortunately we are all a victom of hypocrytic society!
    Its more about protecting and preserving whats left, even if we/ourselves are to blame but putting things out there (media spacifically) and basically saying......" hey everyone! Its ok, its cool, I did it why don't you do it too". Instead of just stating the facts or educating the importance of preservation, in the hopes that the message will help to a degree and someday there might actually be something left for our kids.....

Sitting back and doing nothing, watching these things happen (and thinking - " whats the point") isn't going to solve anything! But we can morse try hey and sometimes the message gets out there and actually works.
    Let me tell you something that's going to save you a whole lot of pain.... dont bother. My personal story is one of frustration around trying to get people to help do some environmental stuff. Sure, everyone is going to pay lip service. Even the complainers, and there are thousands of them, are going to agree that something has to be done. Try set up programs, and events and things to create awareness, and then try and get some volunteers to give up even a few hours of their time, or a few Rands to help towards the cause. Gueass what will happen...wait dont guess, I will tell you... there will be no one in sight. All you will achieve, is discouragment, criticism, and eventually you will give up in disgust and wonder why you wasted all your own valuable time and money. Guess how many thank you's you will get... none. Its a frustrating excercise. Everyones too concerned with their own self. Wait until the yellowfish are all gone, and everyone will say, "why didnt someone do something?"
    Look at the Witvis in the Cape. A few guys tried really hard, had no support, gave up, now where are the Witvis?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thank you Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    OK - So I am going to take a picture of every forumer who drives a car more than 1800cc and name and shame them. And if you drive a bakkie or SUV don't even think of going anywhere near the river - that is disgusting! One in a million people taking out a largie is doing wayy less damage than you doing 100 000km in your Isuzu.

People wading rivers do much more damage than the bank anglers - but you dont see what is under your feet whilst wading the river.

Maybe wading should be banned if we are going to selectively choose what we are going to b1tch about. and NO, there is no such thing as "considerate" wading:biggrin:
    Where can I get some decent hornbill feathers?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Isuzu grill:biggrin:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast