Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Umkomaas Trip Report

Default Umkomaas Trip Report

With the streams opening on the 1st September Nick and I planned the mandatory, season opening, trip to the Berg. But then something strange happened, a friend invited Nick and I to fish a stretch of the Umkomaas with him. After much deliberation we decided that the trout could wait another week or two and readily took our friend up on the offer. And then the second strange thing happened, our friend cancelled.

None the less, with plans in place, we climbed into the car on Saturday morning and headed for waters unknown in search of Natal yellowfish (or the scaly as they call them here). Our arrival was hindered somewhat by a mountain bike race taking place at the same venue. Thankfully we managed to drive under some of the red tape and were soon kitting up our trusty 5 weights in front of a low, clear Umko.

Once our coffee cups were drained we waded into the water and began slowly fishing our way upstream. The river looked good but it did take us some time to get into our first fish. When I did finally land that first fish it was a small yellow of not more than a few hundred grams. Feeling a little more confident with my chosen setup and fly I continued fishing. Not more than a 5 casts later I got into another yellow, this time weighing in the 1kg region and giving a good account of itself.

After sharing the news with Nick we headed back to the car for a quick lunch and then decided to scout a nearby club water (also on the Umkomaas). We were hoping to find similar conditions but sadly the club water was locked, with no sign or key, and we were forced to head home.

It was a great day and we'll definitely be back for more.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Awesome stuff Waz, beautiful pics
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Very cool report warren..... and the fishing looks great!!!!

nice report, makes me want to get out there! Naawpoort?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Nice!!!!!!!!!

Nice report!!
    Making me miss my stretch on the Buffels near the parents!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Thanks gents
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Good one Warren! I think our humble Scalie is the prettiest of all the yellow species...:smile:

With the state of the ocean the last couple of weeks, I have been contemplating a yellow trip. Did you fish Bulwer area?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Good one Warren! I think our humble Scalie is the prettiest of all the yellow species...:smile:

With the state of the ocean the last couple of weeks, I have been contemplating a yellow trip. Did you fish Bulwer area?
    We fished close to Richmond...Nyala Pans.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    I think our humble Scalie is the prettiest of all the yellow species...:smile:
    Agreed, and has to be one of the trickiest to catch. I've had many a day of them teaching me a thing or 2 about how not to catch them. And they are strong too. That 1k'er has a pretty nifty paddle.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast