Thread: Jax Taggarti

Default Jax Taggarti

This Fly was tied to sort out some nice Browns in Lake Anawhenua in the North Island.
    What I needed was a fly that would have a near Neutral Bouyancy and produce good Low Frequency sound waves during the retrieve. Note the Hackle tying.

Fished Flatout on the surface the fly proved to be a hot item on the brown's Menue.
    Fished on a fairly shoth leader with a sinking line it was also readily accepted both in the Day and at Night with a medium speed Sink and Draw retrieve.

An American friend tried the Taggarti on some Largemout Bass in the States and it proved to be rather attractive and he had a ball. I hope the South African Bass will find it a tasty morsel. Jax

Jax Tagarti

Tail
    Pheasant Cock Rump
    Feathers from either side of
    the base of the Bird’s tail

Body Hackle
    Brown Whiting Cock Hackle [With Whisks one and a half to twice the hook gape]

Body
    Brown Chenille

Wing
    Nil

Head Hackle
    Same as Body Hackle

Topping
    Pea Cock Sword Whisks

Head
    Tying Thread

Hook
    Black Magic B6 # 6 to 10

Thread
    Black Polyester or Uni
    Thread

Step 1.jpg
    STEP 1
    Wrap Hook shank with thread from eye to bend and back to near eye.Note the tail material extends all the way to the eye.
    Step 2.jpg
    STEP 2
    Tie in Tail Material with firm wraps working back to the bend
    Step 3.jpg
    STEP 3
    Clip Tail to size and clip excess material around eye.

I clip the tail this way to impart a bobbing up and down movement to the fly during the retrieve. The fish love it!!

Step 4.jpg
    STEP 4
    Tie in Body Hackle

Step 5.jpg
    STEP 5
    Tie in Brown Chenille for body and run thread up to near the eye

Step 6.jpg
    STEP 6
    Wrap the Chenille toward the eye in close tight turns and tie off. Clip excess from around eye

Step 7.jpg
    STEP 7
    Spiral wrap the Body Hackle in tight turns forward toward the eye and tie off securely

Step 8.jpg
    STEP 8
    Tie in the Head Hackle

Step 9.jpg
    STEP 9
    Spiral the Head Hackle back toward the bend One third of the Body
    Last edited by Jax; 05-09-12 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Add Info
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Step 10.jpg
    STEP 10
    Now wrap the remainder of the Head Hackle Toward the eye and tie off

Step 11.jpg
    STEP 11
    Tie in Six to eight Whisks from a Pea Cock Sword the same height as the Hackle Whisks

Step 12.jpg
    STEP 12
    Clip excess materials from around the eye and tidy the head up.

Step 13.jpg
    STEP 13
    Whip Finish the head and clip the thread and apply Head Cement

STEP 14 GO FISH!!

Looks like a good fly, it resembles the Stimulater some what!
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Looks like a good fly, it resembles the Stimulater some what!
    Do not know how you get to that remark, that fly resembles a fly I posted not so long ago being a variant of the Wooly Worm, HERE JUST A DIFFERENT TAIL AND A PEACOCK SWORD ADDITION to the fly. ( this is a wet fly) The fly I posted with this exact tie, without the peacock tail, but with a hackle tail, was first used as a very good dry fish taker.
    Having said this, the STIMULATOR in my view is a dry fly immitating a hopper pattern, sorry if you think I am pissing on your parade.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

True true, where was my head at. Just good to be human.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi Guys; I am not at all surprised that you think the fly looks like a wooly worm or wooly bugger. It Does!! Tying a fly that is unique today is nigh on impossible. However by marrying different features of several flies one can produce a fly that although very similar in many respects to an accepted Standard Pattern you can come up with a variation that the Trout will accept. Weather the trout accept it as Another Pattern is an alltogrther different debate.

The Taggarti Has a tail the materials of which have a lot of Quill tied in down the hook shank to give a modicum of bouyancy.[that is my story and i'm sticking to it.] Bobbing the tail I believe gives the fly an up and down movement as opposed to the snakey side to side movement of the long marabou tail.
    The Body Hackle Tied with the Dull side of the Hackle facing the eye "A la" Dry Fly Hackle also lends to the fly sitting proud and tending to float some.

So although it may look Like a Wooly Bugger or Wolly worm and will probably be mistaken for a Wolly Bugger or Worm.The Taggarti has a few subtle points of difference. The proof of the pudding is that when retrieved either on the Surface or Fished Deep, the Taggerti produces or it has for me and a few pals who used the fly. The pattern was adopted by one of our Comercial fly tiers and was a good seller.

I am Guilty of not making these points clear in my first post. Mia Culpa. Jax

Great fly Jax. Well done.

I will take 20 of them. 5 x #6, 10 x #8, 5 x #10
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Hi Guys; I am not at all surprised that you think the fly looks like a wooly worm or wooly bugger. It Does!! Tying a fly that is unique today is nigh on impossible. However by marrying different features of several flies one can produce a fly that although very similar in many respects to an accepted Standard Pattern you can come up with a variation that the Trout will accept. Weather the trout accept it as Another Pattern is an alltogrther different debate.

The Taggarti Has a tail the materials of which have a lot of Quill tied in down the hook shank to give a modicum of bouyancy.[that is my story and i'm sticking to it.] Bobbing the tail I believe gives the fly an up and down movement as opposed to the snakey side to side movement of the long marabou tail.
    The Body Hackle Tied with the Dull side of the Hackle facing the eye "A la" Dry Fly Hackle also lends to the fly sitting proud and tending to float some.

So although it may look Like a Wooly Bugger or Wolly worm and will probably be mistaken for a Wolly Bugger or Worm.The Taggarti has a few subtle points of difference. The proof of the pudding is that when retrieved either on the Surface or Fished Deep, the Taggerti produces or it has for me and a few pals who used the fly. The pattern was adopted by one of our Comercial fly tiers and was a good seller.

I am Guilty of not making these points clear in my first post. Mia Culpa. Jax
    Jax, this fly tied is essentially a wooly worm, or variant. The difference between a wooly worm and a wooly bugger differ somewhat. Where should we start. Lets start with your wooly worm variant.
    The wooly worm can be tied nymph style or dry. The wooly bugger is strictly nymph/streamer.
    The wooly dry fly would incorporate a tail of hackle fibres with a hackle of choice leading up to the hook eye palmered. The wet wooly worm has a tail of marabou, palmered hackle from the tail or hook bend to the hook eye. Any additions here creates a variable. (sword tail)
    The wooly bugger is tied nymph/streamer as a norm due to materials used. The tail norm is marabou, but one can use marabou/calf tail/bucktail. The difference here is that the wooly bugger has pronounced body along the hook shank and that the hackle is palmered from the eye of the hook to the hook bend which is completely opposite to the worm tie, making this fly to heavy to be surfaced fished, thus sub-surface.
    This fly has many variants as a dry fly, and if you want, will post some here for your perusing. But also have a Blackback wooly hot orange worm that trout dont leave during spawning. (my own variant)
    DAVE

Hey Dave; would like to see your version of the Wooly Worm Please post it.

Just as a matter of interest. I tie all my Palmered flies Starting at the bend and Finishing at the head. I just prefer to do it that way.

As to whether the Taggerti is a variant of the Wooly Worm why not. As I said in my post. Tying a unique pattern is extremely difficult as it would appear there is always somebody who has done it all before. In my opinion virtually every fliy tied today has it roots way back in time. However the vanity of the Tier mixed with a bit of pride will always have its place if fly tying is not to stagnate. Jax