Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Whats happening in Calitzdorp dam????

the dams get to warm for the trout, but its no monster fish either from what I know. I have never been up those rivers and I have not fished those dams yet.

Getting acces is a mission, but if you do get hold of one of the farmers, make sure to take bread and milk with for the guy, they are far in the sticks, the one farm I used to fish on is on a 50km gravel road! its bundus there.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hi guys. Oudtshoorn has some trout yes. The streams have small trout and you get some nice fish in the deap pools. Also the dams hold trout, have caught some although the are far and in between. The bass will be keeping your lures and flies busy rather than the trout.

Melville dam, above Raubenheimer has nice trout although the access has been closed. Walked up the river once with a spinning rod since the bush is to thick for fly and hooked into a huge trout.

If one can get access and use a float tube one would get some decent fishing.

The goldnon the other hand is another thing. Yes rivers and dams hold them. Can someone help me with some river areas to fish as I am more into the dams at the moment although I will want to start with rivers

Booger Rose Banned User

Fish the Olifants for SM Yellows. Easy access.

I have some spots on the Olifants where I can fish. Does one take a similar approach there as one would take on still water since the water there does not always flow that much. I have not yet fished the Olifants with fly so my knowledge there is limited.

Also, what flies would one use?

Booger Rose Banned User

Olive woolie bugger worked well all the years as the go to fly if nothing else work. Works for the SM and Bass. orange fly is great for the SM Bass.

My last trip the bugger did not take one fish - I could not believe that. Took all my yellows on small black nymphs, will try too take a photo and post. There is also a fly called the Gamka Nymph that some locals absolutely swears by, black nymph. I was lucky enough with the yellows getting together at the head of the pools before they move in to spawn. Fished my flies basicly static in the deeper waters and had lots of fun.

Also lots of nice sizes SM Bass in the water - those fish are very strong and lots of fun.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any updated info on koos raubenheimer dam? Also how much did the drought effect the SM in the Olifants?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3